Tell us about your glider club or flying group - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Tell us about your glider club or flying group

Old 03-17-2008, 02:09 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool Tell us about your glider club or flying group

Whether you are an AMA chartered club or just a bunch of glider guiders who enjoy flying together, tell us about your club or flying group.

Where do you fly?

How many people in the group or club?

Thermal, slope, DLG, electric gliders? What do you fly?

Do you fly models other than gliders?

I will start it off.

THE LONG ISLAND SILENT FLYERS
WWW.LISF.ORG

We are an AMA chartered club of about 65 members who fly thermal soaring gliders at a field in Syosset, Long Island, New York. Our field is located in a nature preserve owned by Nassau County. There are no wet fuel planes permitted. Our membership spans Long Island, New York City, New Jersey and Westchester County. I believe we have had members from Connecticut at times too.

While the club is primarily a glider club we also admit members with parkflyer type planes which we see as trainers or as being compatible with a glider field. Many of our members start on parkflyers, then advance to gliders over time. I was one of these.

At our field you will see people flying from hi-starts, winches or tossing HLGs and DLGs in there air. Many of our members also fly electric gliders.

While not technically a club activity, many of us also enjoy slope soaring off the cliffs that overlook some of the Long Island beaches.

In addition to our own club's activities our club's monthly contests, The Long Island Silent Flyers is a member of the Eastern Soaring League www.flyesl.com which is a competition TD league. There are clubs that are members of the league spanning from Massachusetts to Virginia.

If you are a glider guider in the NY area, why not get in touch with us.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:12 AM
CygnusX1

I would love to join the group but I am a bit too far. It's about a 2+ hour drive even if I take a Ferry from CT. I used to Windsurf out at East Islip but the drive was just too much too handle. I am in Putnam County, NY. Too bad.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:13 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

There are glider folks up your way.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:16 PM
Elfwreck
PHD in Crashology

Hey now,
We're pretty fortunate out here on the left coast. Our group, well, it's two groups really, the San Fransisco Vultures (since '36) and the Mussel rock R/C group. share a flying site, and it's a great place!

Those of us who get the whole day out show up around nine or a bit earlier and fly electrics, hand launch gliders and a bit of thermal soaring, both hi start and electric boost at a school yard, FDR school. The place is large enough that we can fly fairly large models here.

Most of the year we can fly in the low wind high thermal activity untill around noon or so when the winds start to pick up. Then we break for lunch and drive the half mile down to the sea cliffs and slope soar all afternoon.

We get a lot of combat zagi games, sure, but we also take the time out for glass slippers and other high preformance gliders.

Pretty cool really, the best of both worlds and a very supportive group of folks.
RobII