How to best use a flight simulator - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

How to best use a flight simulator

Old 04-24-2008, 08:54 PM
Dravenm4

Default How to best use a flight simulator

Just wondering what is the most efficient way to use my flight sim? I'm using FMS and think I am not using it effectively. My question is basically this, what should I practice in order take off, landing, rolls, banking, stalls, elevation? And also after formulating a flight plan which one should I practice the most or is it that I should practice what I worst at the most?
Old 04-25-2008, 03:06 AM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

You are in luck - it just so happens that I wrote an article about this a while back. It's a fairly common question and a really good one too. At first, you should just do what you can to keep the plane in the air. Once you've mastered that, you can practice specific things.

http://jazzyflight.blogspot.com/2008...simulator.html

As for which flight patterns to practice, that depends entirely on where you plane to fly. At most clubs there is an established 'pattern' - basically big circles going upwind over the runway and out away for the downwind leg. You do your aerobatics when you have space in the pattern and are not too close to someone else.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:59 AM
Dravenm4

Thank you very much this is a good article, I will use it for the rest of my initial training if not beyond also as far as bank and yank goes does that mean roll to right or left return to normal position still side ways and pull up?
Old 04-25-2008, 06:10 AM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

Bank-n-yank is how many beginners learn to use ailerons. You roll the plane and pull up while it's banked, just enough to keep altitude, don't roll to 90 degrees, just a little bank, and a little yank

When you get a bit better, you'll learn to coordinate the rudder in the turns, and you'll get a better turn rate with less banking, for a more stable turn overall, and better comfort for your passengers
Old 04-25-2008, 08:43 AM
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Bank-n-yank is how many beginners learn to use ailerons. You roll the plane and pull up while it's banked, just enough to keep altitude, don't roll to 90 degrees, just a little bank, and a little yank

When you get a bit better, you'll learn to coordinate the rudder in the turns, and you'll get a better turn rate with less banking, for a more stable turn overall, and better comfort for your passengers
Would this link show the "passengers" you are talking about? http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33429
Old 04-26-2008, 03:17 AM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

Hehe... it was kind of an off-handed way of making the point that coordinated turns are primarily for comfort and to reduce stresses on the airframe. In RC, it's not that big of a deal, except that some scale planes just won't turn well without the rudder.