LIPO Charged at 4.5a instead of 2.1a - help - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

LIPO Charged at 4.5a instead of 2.1a - help

Old 10-05-2008, 10:22 PM
intruderwithin

Angry LIPO Charged at 4.5a instead of 2.1a - help

Hi, failed to check the charger (BANTAM BC6) and charged at 4.5a rather that 2.1a any thing I need to do? been 1 hour since the charge and no swelling etc... Only noticed when the sounder went off around 30 min rather than 60 min

Thanks in advance

D
Old 10-05-2008, 10:24 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

You'll be fine, just don't make a habit of it!
Old 10-05-2008, 10:45 PM
intruderwithin

Thanks, I'll sleep better now. 22h45 here in the UK

Bye

D
Old 10-05-2008, 10:47 PM
Heli Jim
Grandpa, Golfer, Pilot

I agree with Bill.......just watch it in the future.

A lot of batteries now can be charged at higher than 1C but
that's not an open invitation to just crank up the amps. You
need to have the right kind of batteries and the right charger
to do so. The Cell Pro chargers will charge above 1C but they
monitor what's going on and step the amps back if need be.

If there is no puffing to your battery, then you got lucky!!
Old 10-06-2008, 06:28 AM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

Do you have a balancer? Is the pack still in good balance?

The main reason for not charging at over 1C was that the cells could possibly go out of balance further and more quickly at hi charge rates.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:41 PM
everydayflyer
Southern Pride

I have been charging LiPolys at 3C for nearly three years now ,every since I got my Thunder Power 1010C charger and 210 balancer.

IMO if you use a quality charger and balancer and they LiPolys are rated 15C or greater then up to 3C charging is not an issue.

Very soon there will be 5C charge rated LiPolys avaliable. Like Larry posted the 1C charge was for days of old when LiPolys were rated 2C-6C and noone had even heard of a balancer.

Charles
Old 10-06-2008, 04:26 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Charles,

By "quality charger and balancer", how do you define quality?

For instance, I have a Ripmax ProPeak Prodigy 2 charger, and the Equinox Balancer; this would allow me 2C charges on my 2100-2200 mAh packs (charger goes up to 5A). Does this setup qualify as quality, in your opinion?

It's not something I would do every cycle, but I could see using the quicker charges when at the field.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:57 PM
everydayflyer
Southern Pride

To me a quality charger / balancer is one that is accurately calibrated and does not charge cells past 4.235 V and maintains a balance within 0.01.

The Equinox balancer is a copy of the Hyperion LBA6 balancer which I have used and when used in the in-line safety disconnect mode does qualify.

Many of the elcheapo chargers ,even the balancing ones are known to overcharge cell by as much as .05 volts or more. I would not use one of those even at 0.5C (1/2C).

It is really best to error on the low side. A LiPoly cell charged to 4.15Volts is much happier than one charged to 4.20 much less 4.21 or greater.

Charles
Old 10-06-2008, 05:06 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Thanks Charles, much appreciated.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:10 PM
intruderwithin

All thanks for the info.

The Bantam is as follows and it recon that it prevents over charging.

Microprocessor controlled, high-performance with an integrated cell voltage balancer for NiCd, NiMH, Lithium and Pb batteries
Description

Specification
  • Operating voltage: DC 11~18 volts / AC 100~240V, 50/60Hz
  • Charge/discharge power: max. 50/5 Watts
  • NiCd/MH: 1~15 cells
  • LiIo/LiPo/LiFe: 1~6 series
  • Pb: 2~20V
  • Charge current: 0.1 to 5.0A
  • Discharge current: 0.1 to 1.0A
  • No. of cycle: 1 to 5 times
  • Battery data memory: up to 5 data
  • Weight: 960g
  • Dimension: 160x120x40 mm
Optimized operating software

When charging or discharging, BC6 has an 'AUTO' function that sets the feeding current or the cell count of Lithium battery automatically. Especially for Lithium batteries, it can prevent the over-charging that can lead to an explosion by users fault. Every program in the unit is controlled with mutual links and communication for every possible error so it introduces a maximum safety. These can be set at users option.
Dual input power

BC6 employs the circuit that can be operated with the input power of AC(Alternating Current) or DC(Direct Current). For AC input, it contains a AC-DC switching power supplier which has 5A of power capacity and maximum output power of 50Watts for charging. As a result it can charge up to 15 cells of NiCd/NiMH and 6 series of Lithium batteries with maximum current of 5.0A.
Individual voltage balancer for Lithium batteries inside

BC6 has an individual-cell-voltage balancer inside. So it does not need any balancer separately when charging Lithium batteries (LiIo/LiPo/LiFe) for cell voltage balancing.
Balance individual cells on discharge

BC6 also can monitor and balance individual cells of the Lithium battery pack during the discharge process. If the voltage of any one cell varies abnormally, the process will be stopped with the error message.
Accept various types of Lithium battery

BC6 can accept three types of Lithium batteries - LiIo, LiPo and LiFe. They have different characteristics by their chemistry. You can select any one of them that you are going to process before the job.
Lithium battery 'Fast' and 'Storage' mode

You can charge Lithium battery for special purposes. 'Fast' charge reduces the charging time of Lithium battery and 'Storage mode controls the final voltage of the battery to be suit for long time storage.
Data store/load

For users convenience it can store maximum 5 data of different batteries. You can establish the data contains program setting of the battery to charge or discharge continually. These data can be called out at any time you need and the process can be executed without program setting.
Cyclic charging/discharging

Perform 1 to 5 cycles of charge>discharge or discharge>charge continually for battery refreshing and balancing.
PC based analysis using USB communication

For technical expert, BC6 offers PC based program can analysis the characteristic of the battery by USB port. It shows a graph of voltage, current, capacity and temperature curves. It also shows the individual voltage of each cell in the Lithium battery pack.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:23 PM
intruderwithin

Just ran a Voltage check on the two LIPOs 3s 2200 11.1 after flying and recharge:

Need to check up if this is ok? any ideas what the lowest voltage I should let it run too? The controller kicks in at +/- 8-9 min of flying.