The Curse of This Hobby - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

The Curse of This Hobby

Old 12-10-2008, 08:10 PM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Default The Curse of This Hobby

Man, we've had garbage weather here in middle Tennessee for going on a good month and a half now. Most days it's been either hazy and misty or outright raining buckets. And on the few days when the sun has peeked out for a significant amount of time, it's still been freezing cold and the wind is usually whipping around.

Having only gotten into this hobby last Christmas, I sort of just built up steam and really hit my stride over the summer, getting used to being able to go into my backyard at almost anytime and launch my Slow Stick for a quick flight. It got even better once I finished my LED mod on my yellow Slow Stick, and I loved being able to go out at any time of night if I wanted to and just burn off some steam flitting around the sky, freaking out the occasional kid down the street.

But now, it's just misery waiting for a good chance to fly. I tried going the sim route for awhile, working on my 3D and toying around with helis. But that really just doesn't hack it. I want to see my REAL little plane buzzing around in the REAL air.

I'm thinking about maybe trying to start a custom scratchbuilt project of some kind. I've got plenty of foam and parts (including a receiver with built in gyro and brushed controller I got out of a cheapie heli RTF that I've been trying to think of ways to use--any suggestions there? The way it's set up with being built-in to the receiver/controller, the gyro can only be used to power a small brushed motor.) But I've even been having trouble getting motivated to start that--don't know what's wrong with me. I guess I better quit going on; I'm starting to sound awfully whiny.

How does everyone else pass their winters? Just switch to another hobby for the season? Stay indoors building? Brave the wind/rain/cold with a heavier model? Or just watch lots of History Channel?
Old 12-10-2008, 08:19 PM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

winter? whats that?!? sorry about that, if i lived in an area with winter i'd spend the time building or flying indoors.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:22 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

I'm thinking of getting a Parkzone Vapor to fly in the house (and mess with the dogs) There are alot of indoor flying sessions going on also, check with your LHS for groups that meet in gyms.

And.....History channel is always good to watch, my favorite. Its also a good way to make the wife leave the room
Old 12-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

Originally Posted by Yaniel View Post
winter? whats that?!? sorry about that, if i lived in an area with winter i'd spend the time building or flying indoors.
Yea,I have to 2nd that.theres a lot of us who dont know what winters really are.I sure feel for you though_Best RT :o
Old 12-10-2008, 08:31 PM
powerlines
I AM NO SHOES!!!

WINTER>> HE HE.. We fly just about everyweekend.. Freezing or not..

LOL
Old 12-10-2008, 09:05 PM
pburt1975
Hotel California

Originally Posted by gzsfrk View Post
How does everyone else pass their winters? Just switch to another hobby for the season? Stay indoors building? Brave the wind/rain/cold with a heavier model? Or just watch lots of History Channel?

Its funny you say that. I started this hobby last year around October (really got into it around that time) and stayed pretty heavy into it all winter, building on the bad days and trying to go fly on the good ones...
Then spring/summer hit and despite the weather I didnt have time for the hobby...
Now its winter again and Im getting back into it. Just seems to suit the slow days of winter, building and waiting, building and waiting...

Sorry its not going well for you, but why not try a different kind of build? have you done a balsa from plans? what about from scratch? If nothing else, it really passes the time and IMO the end result is a much nicer looking plane then Im capable with using foam..
Old 12-10-2008, 09:58 PM
TDisaster
Super Contributor

I build. And if its not too windy bundle up and fly. Occasionally we get some ok days. Haven't flown indoors yet though.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:50 PM
darylm44

Originally Posted by powerlines View Post
WINTER>> HE HE.. We fly just about everyweekend.. Freezing or not..

LOL
Me too! You can't let the cold hold you back on a calm day. Just dress appropriately and purchase a transmitter glove if it is really cold (less than 20*F). I personally have flown down to 1*F. Just keep the batteries warm in a pocket or the car and the flights short 5-7 minutes so your hands don't get to cold.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:10 PM
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

I really hate winter flying. Real PITA to have to wear long pants
Old 12-11-2008, 12:32 AM
darylm44

Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
I really hate winter flying. Real PITA to have to wear long pants

You really know how to hurt a guy
Old 12-11-2008, 01:03 AM
pd1
Still Learning

Building is fun, a Vapor inside is definitely fun..
But cold air is more dense than warm air, the planes really climb in the cold.
If it's cold enough you can even use wheels on the snow.

Paul

I still like the warm too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PD_Takeoff_W.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	86400   Click image for larger version

Name:	bvrldg70.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	86401  
Old 12-11-2008, 06:33 AM
jooNorway

Building of course. Have 4 ( actually 5) models which are supposed to be done during this winter. Three TUGs, my Taxi 2400 is nearly ready, a Bellanca XL is on its way from Germany, a Hector have just landed at my hobbyroom, a beautiful Moswey III is on the table and my DG600 is supposed to fly at the 1 of May meeting next year.
In addition I know 2 small depron bipe indoor models will be built before christmas, parallell with the bigger planes

Indoor flying, nearly every weekend there is indoor flying in my area.
Outdoor electric flying on floats at a succer-field 100 meters from my house. Also launch my DLG at the soccer-field. On calm days I fly my depron models there too.
We bring our R/E gliders to a small slope during winter, floating around and talking together (gossip in fact...)
One of our airfield is cleared of snow during winter, I fly planes like my Angel there. The clubhouse have the heating on

And of course it is time to give all models an overhaul during winter!
Old 12-11-2008, 08:08 AM
baz49exe
Super Contributor

Move to the UK ! We just have weather. It can change by the hour so you have to pick a flying window. I have to say that since I went totally electric last April the weather has been the worst for years. If its not raining its generally too windy to fly or both. Thank goodness for FMS.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:37 AM
Sam_K

I reckon you need a lead sled banger!

We don't have a cold winter here in Sydney, Australia, but we do have a bit of a windy season at the end of the year. Also, at my local club our flying field is up on the end of a ridge and if it's windy anywhere in the area it's always windiest there with a nasty rotor near the ground on the upwind end of the field.

When I was learning on my Easy Star the wind was a real hassle, but for my second plane I bought a Mini Ultra Stick and put A123 batteries in it which made it way heavier than stock (about 145%) so it's quite a lead sled. This plane penetrates like a brick and just totally laughs at the wind even though it is quite small. Yes it's fast but I like it that way and it's forced me to learn focussed precision for my landings.

Also, being a stick it's a very basic and rugged design and can take some rough landings, once you've banged it up a few times you'll stop being precious about it and you can just throw it up without worrying too much about the outcome. What this means though is that instead of crashing the plane every other week, you'll develop your windy flying skills a lot quicker.

I used to be unable to fly every other week because of the wind, now it is very rare that the wind bothers me so much that I don't fly, and I am often flying when a lot of the other guys won't go up.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:43 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by pd1 View Post

Paul

Paul,

What is that plane in the first pic in that awesome climb?

Last year I did my first build. A Miss Stick Junior. I flew it, then crashed it. No damage, but I think this winter I will get a lazer cut kit to try and ease into another build. I really enjoyed building, despite getting frustrated at times, but it was a great way to spend some time I would otherwise have wasted online or watching TV. LOL

I also plan on getting a Vapor or Blade mCX (or both, if I can swing that) to fly indoors at the high school (hint, hint, Dave! ). At our club meeting last night, one of the members brought his mCX and flew it in the meeting room, and it was a dream. Decisions, decisions.

If you can fly indoors, go for it. If you have the desire and can build, I vote to give that a try. ARFs and RTFs are nice and all, but I really like the idea of building and flying my own work.

Oh.....lest I forget....there is also Wattflyer to help you thru the cold, hard winter.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:01 PM
TDisaster
Super Contributor

Paul

I love that Beaver. Makes me remember mine . They are just too much fun on ski's.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:33 PM
pd1
Still Learning

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
Paul,

What is that plane in the first pic in that awesome climb?

Last year I did my first build. A Miss Stick Junior. I flew it, then crashed it. No damage, but I think this winter I will get a lazer cut kit to try and ease into another build. I really enjoyed building, despite getting frustrated at times, but it was a great way to spend some time I would otherwise have wasted online or watching TV. LOL

I also plan on getting a Vapor or Blade mCX (or both, if I can swing that) to fly indoors at the high school (hint, hint, Dave! ). At our club meeting last night, one of the members brought his mCX and flew it in the meeting room, and it was a dream. Decisions, decisions.

If you can fly indoors, go for it. If you have the desire and can build, I vote to give that a try. ARFs and RTFs are nice and all, but I really like the idea of building and flying my own work.

Oh.....lest I forget....there is also Wattflyer to help you thru the cold, hard winter.

Hi Kev, http://www.earlyrcmodels.com makes a lazer cut kit of this plane.

Trainermaster, E-Flite 25. 4 cells.
build thread http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20546

Paul
Old 12-11-2008, 03:44 PM
Dereck
Super Contributor

If you stick around long enough, it'll cease to be a problem

Thirty years ago, I learned to fly RC in the north of Scotland and flew in some abysmal weather - one day I recall, we started by scraping the snow off our runway, to get regular sized models airborne without hand-launching. One New Year's Eve, me and a buddy decided to be the last to fly in that year. One of us had to sit in the car, engine and heater running, while the other got the engine going in the model, then we'd trade places in the car to fly.

Now, if I don't like the weather, I stay home and build! It has to be real nice to see me atop our capped off landfill, playing with toy airplanes - though my favourite electric (a highly converted Sig Four Star 40 with around 700W) can handle a little wind if I insist.

Other urges to fly are taken care of by an 'Ember' that I can fly out front of the house in the street when it's flat calm, and an Air Hogs $20 IR controlled model that I bought from BigBoxMart and can fly in my basement, with luck and care. That's being augmented soon by a surprise Christmas present I know nothing about (but is very small, yellow, BARF (Bought Almost Ready to Fix) and hovers ).

If I really can't be bothered to go down to the basement and build something, there's always a bunch of CAD designs on my computer that I can work on. Once a month, a copy date for my RealWorld column looms, so that helps keep me out of the local bars too.

TV? Can only watch a max of two shows a week, and that's only since we got Tivo - who can watch US TV in real time?

Problem? What problem?

Regards

Dereck
Old 12-11-2008, 03:55 PM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

See, you guys who are just a wee bit North of us are lucky in that you actually GET a good bit of snow each winter. Here in Tennessee, it's like we're almost always on the cusp of getting snow, but usually just end up with either freezing rain or mush soup on the ground. Typically, the temperature hovers just around 33-35 degrees when we get precip, and then it will freeze overnight and leave all the ice with none of the lovely white stuff the next morning. The the sun comes out, and stirs up the soup all over again. Nasty, nasty weather this time of year.

Case in point--it's raining steady outside right now. The temperature? 38 F. Miserable, miserable weather... It reminds me of the Bible verse:

"So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth."
- Revelations 3:16

Stupid indecisive weather.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:27 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

See, you guys who are just a wee bit North of us are lucky in that you actually GET a good bit of snow each winter. Here in Tennessee, it's like we're almost always on the cusp of getting snow, but usually just end up with either freezing rain or mush soup on the ground. Typically, the temperature hovers just around 33-35 degrees when we get precip, and then it will freeze overnight and leave all the ice with none of the lovely white stuff the next morning. The the sun comes out, and stirs up the soup all over again. Nasty, nasty weather this time of year.

Case in point--it's raining steady outside right now. The temperature? 38 F. Miserable, miserable weather... It reminds me of the Bible verse:

"So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth."

Actually, it sounds QUITE decisive.

It has decided to drive you crazy! (I generally feel the same way about the wind!)
Old 12-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

Another miserable day here

http://www.cargolaw.com/lax_webcam2.html

Not the view from my office - but close
Old 12-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
Actually, it sounds QUITE decisive.

It has decided to drive you crazy! (I generally feel the same way about the wind!)
Wet&cold,Wet&cold,Wet&cold,Wet&cold,Wet&cold,Wet&c old,Wet&cold,
Death where is thy sting?bub, steve

Name:	dennis 005.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	86480  
Old 12-11-2008, 06:35 PM
tom1968

1. Warm, waterproof boots and wool socks
2. Chemical hand warmers ($1 from Wal-Mart)
3. Thin cotton gloves or glove liners with latex or vinyl exam gloves over them (windproof and grippy)
4. A durable (or at least repairable) foamy. Or two, or three. Foamies don't mind slush.

This will get you enough flying days to get through the winter. Not enough to satisfy, but enough to feed the addiction.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:39 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by tom1968 View Post
1. Warm, waterproof boots and wool socks
2. Chemical hand warmers ($1 from Wal-Mart)
3. Thin cotton gloves or glove liners with latex or vinyl exam gloves over them (windproof and grippy)
4. A durable (or at least repairable) foamy. Or two, or three. Foamies don't mind slush.

This will get you enough flying days to get through the winter. Not enough to satisfy, but enough to feed the addiction.
Your a sick man my bub!!! HaHaaa!, and a tough one to boot! bub, steve

Name:	planes 406.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	86484  
Old 12-12-2008, 12:22 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Over here in West TN we don't worry about no stinking weather. If it's raining, put the speed control and receiver in a baggie, break out the old brushed powered plane and Nicads and stand under the rear hatch of of some vehicle that has one or stand in a barn door and fly.

Quick Reply: The Curse of This Hobby

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15780 seconds with 17 queries