XXL Polaris scratch build - Page 10 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Seaplanes E-Powered Discuss electric powered seaplanes here

XXL Polaris scratch build

Old 09-20-2009, 02:10 AM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

Nicely done John! Thats a good looking version and it looks like it flys well.

I think you're a little nose heavy. If you fix that, maybe it will help on those landings a tad

Nose heavy planes dont slow down as well and are more subject to elevator stalls at low speeds.

I like it!
Old 11-20-2009, 02:36 AM
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

Here's a bit of an updated video of my Polaris and my friend flying his Sea Wind (he buzzes a fountain). I included a couple of surface slides of my Polaris, one I almost go over. In the end, the Sea Wind crashes on low powered take off. Out with the rescue boat! We nick named it the Blue Fork.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgrM5vBop8Y&feature=channel
Old 11-20-2009, 03:17 AM
Son of Paleface
Ozzie Express Wiggy Pilot

Hey , thats really well done , one of the best vids Ive seen , great editing to the music and vis effects
Good one Jeff

Ian
Old 11-20-2009, 03:41 AM
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

Thanks Ian. I enjoy making the videos, almost as much as I like to fly! I said "almost" because I REALLY like to fly!

Jeff
Old 11-20-2009, 05:20 AM
Larry3215

Very nicely done Jeff!!!

I like the blue fork!

You using a reversible brushed motor on that thing? Great idea!
Old 11-20-2009, 05:33 AM
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

Thanks Larry,

We've used the "Blue Fork" a lot more than we'd like to admit. After wading into a civic center lagoon for my friend's plane we decided we needed a rescue boat. It's not failed us yet. The only thing it didn't retrieve was when the Sea Wind's motor broke off and sank! I guess we could drag a magnet

Jeff
Old 11-20-2009, 07:02 AM
Larry3215

It just occured to me your fork is similar to the rescue boat I came up with way back during the Hydro craze.

It had a regular brushless motor on it and didnt work nearly as well as your does. Being able to back up would be a huge asset.

I got mine stuck in weeds several times trying to rescue downed flyers too close to shore.

I also found that mine didnt have enough stearing authority in many cases. if the downed plane was up-side down with the rudder under water it was often impossible to stear a straight course!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rescue1lake.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	113702  
Old 11-20-2009, 04:37 PM
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

Hey Larry, yours looks way cooler though!

We got the idea for the "fork" design off the internet somewhere. We also added a water rudder that can be pivoted up if the water is too shallow, but it steers much better with it than without.

Originally we had two air rudders, but it seemed to steer better with just one. Yes, the reverse option works great. (brushed out of a car set up I think) Thanks to my LHS buddy. He has "endless" resources for this kind of stuff. I'm not crazy about the boogie board foam. It's pretty heavy. But I just remind myself it's a rescue boat not a race boat. And much better than going for a swim!

Jeff
Old 11-20-2009, 08:30 PM
Son of Paleface
Ozzie Express Wiggy Pilot

Yeah , I had one years ago with a large wire hook out each side (regular model boat) with a brushed motor with reverse and a larger water rudder right behind the prop , very effective
Ian
Old 01-02-2010, 06:22 PM
adrenalinplan

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
I am either crazy, senile or I have a "serious condition" of some sort. Thats what my wife says anyway

Im part way thru the build on a Phase3 F16, Im part way thru a build of a new giant scale foamie Yak (for the contest), Im part way thru the build on a giant scale foamie Extra/Edge thing, I havent finished repairing the nose gear on my FlyFly F86 and my Mega Capricorn still needs a paint job.

You would think I had more than enough RC related projects to keep me busy over the winter!

Here is the problem. I saw a new F-16 by RC Lander that really caught my eye. Then I saw they had an F9F that was pretty cool too. Then I saw they had a Rafale twin EDF! I wanted ALL of them but cant really afford any of them at the moment. While I was reading up on them, all trying to decide on which one to get (Come on honey, its a really cool airplane and they all have retracts! We dont realy NEED that new carpet just yet do we?).

Then when I had it almost figured out, (the F16 is winning by a hair) I saw a post by TheDon about a twin SR-71 - with retracts!!!! And its cheep!!! (hear that honey?)

While I was going nuts over all those choices - and realizing I couldnt really afford to do any of them at the moment I ran across a thread started by Jetset44 (Steve Schumate of Park Jets fame) about a new sea plane of his called the Polaris.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=922465&pp=100

The Polaris based on the old Laddie Mikulasco (sp?) North Star which I built waaaaaaaay back in the old days. Great model!

I also built a much smaller version a year or 2 ago I called the Sparkle.

Recently Ive been into much larger giant scale foamies and it occured to me that this plan form would lend itself well to a giant scale version.

On top of that, I have most everything Id need to get it in the air just laying around ready to go.

So... thats what Im going to do next. I'll wait to save up some more $$ and see more flight reviews of those jets down the road. All the other stuff is going back in the boxes and up in the rafters and Im cleaning off my bench! Well... Im going to clean off a few things anyway

We are snowed in at the moment so I'll start cutting foam as soon as I scale off some rough sketches.

It will end up aprox 80" long with about a 60" span with removable wings. Power will be 6S A123 pack driving a Mega 22/30/3 direct drive into a 12" prop. Should be in the 900-1000 watt range and pretty fast top speed. All up weight should end up in the 5 to 7 pound range but I almost always come in heavier than my predictions

One other plus point on this one is it will be able to fly off snow along with my Capricorns and none of the jets will do that!

For those who cant wait - here is a video of its second flight!

Here is the first serious water flight of the big Polaris.

Hi Larry 3215,

I write you of France. Splendid your polaris xxl. We are going to construct one with a member of my club. Be able you to say to me the characteristics of the servos which you use?

Regards

Olivier
Old 01-05-2010, 05:34 AM
Larry3215

Originally Posted by adrenalinplan View Post
Hi Larry 3215,

I write you of France. Splendid your polaris xxl. We are going to construct one with a member of my club. Be able you to say to me the characteristics of the servos which you use?

Regards

Olivier
Hello Oliver,

I used all digital servos with 90in/ounce of torque or more.

Let me go back and see if I can find the exact model numbers.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:47 AM
Larry3215

Hi Oliver,

From my notes it looks like I used Hitec HS5645 servos on the elevons and HS 5625's for elevator and rudder.

Post pictures of your progress and keep us posted!

Larry
Old 01-05-2010, 01:49 PM
adrenalinplan

Hi Larry,

Ok for servos. What thickness makes the styrofoam which you use for Polaris XXL and how link to you the servos of elevons? We are uniting the different materials. They will post photographs...
Old 01-06-2010, 01:43 AM
Larry3215

Look back through the thread for most of the build details you need.

Most of the plane is made from 1/2" thick blue foam. Its made by Dow and sold in 1/2" x 4' x 8' sheets over here. The vertical tail section is a mix of plywood and 6mm Depron.

You will need aluminum arrow shafts and carbon arrow shafts that just fit inside the aluminum shafts. Use them for the spars.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:06 PM
air4prs

Default Polaris No. 1

Just finished my first Polaris from 6 mm. depron. It came out with A.U.W. of 27 oz. with a 3s 2250 mah 25c lipo using the standard motor set up. With all the snow here in Ohio I haven't flown it yet, I don't have a 4 wheeler in order to get to the top of a large hill where our club field is.
What is a good Cg to start with and what control setups should be set to.

Paul

Name:	Polaris 040.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	120553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Polaris 046.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	120554   Click image for larger version

Name:	Polaris 048.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	120555   Click image for larger version

Name:	Polaris 050.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	120556   Click image for larger version

Name:	Polaris 051.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	120557  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Polaris 052.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	120558   Click image for larger version

Name:	Polaris 053.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	120559  

Last edited by air4prs; 02-14-2010 at 04:09 PM. Reason: miss spelling
Old 02-14-2010, 09:09 PM
Larry3215

Nicely done Paul!

If you built it from Steves plans, then the CG needs to be right on or just slightly ahead of the step on the bottom of the hull.

Once you get some confidense with it and are comfortable with big throws on the surfaces, you can move the cg well behind the step. DONT start off there though. It will be very sensitive especially in pitch.

For throws, it depends on your skill level, but I would start with about 30 degrees of throw on everything.

The secrete to slow flight is the left stick. Dont just move the throttle to full blast and leave it there

Its a good flyer but it will go exactly where you point it so you have to fly it all the time.

Good luck!!
Old 02-17-2010, 10:15 PM
crash-rc

Larry3215, you need to bing your polaris over here to the east side of the state, we are having a 3 day floatfly I believe 5/21-23/10. It will be 10 miles south or Othello, WA at Scootney Reservior will be more info comming in an other month or so in the contest section of Modelaircraft mag. Would love to see your large Polaris fly.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:34 AM
Larry3215

Hi crash-rc,

I almost made it out to your event last year but stuff came up at the last minute. I do plan to be there this year. I'll be bringing my Mega Capricorn as well. They make a good pair

I took the motor out of the big Polaris and have it in my Raptor heli at the moment. It will be easy enough to put it back come float season though
Old 02-18-2010, 04:51 AM
crash-rc

Larry there is going to be two events this year the one in the spring then the third annual event in the fall which I believe is Aug 27-29. Hope to see you at one of them, I plan on trying to make a few events on your side this year.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:48 PM
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

Step Question on Polaris,

My flying buddy has a Polaris that he's been flying for quite a while. It's had it's fair share of crack ups etc. Yesterday he noticed it wouldn't get up on step to take off. The motor seems fine, control surfaces normal, but the one change that he made was he added tape to the bottom, but in such a way that the step is now rounded out almost like a slope rather than a clean 90 degree step. Could that cause a vortex of some sort and not allow the plane to get up on step like it normally would?

That seems to be the only change he's made since he last flew it.

Thoughts?

Jeff
Old 04-11-2010, 05:23 PM
Larry3215

Yeah, thats the problem. The step absolutely must be a clean, sharp 90 degree break. The corner needs to be as sharp as possible with no rounding.

Any rounding of that lower corner will cause the water to cling to the bottom of the hull and stay attached all along the length. That sucks the plane down onto the water and can even prevent take off completely.

Its very important to keep the bottom side corners ahead of the step sharp for the same reason. If you dont, the water will climb up the sides of the hull and also make take offs much more dificult.

You want the water to break away from the hull cleanly as you accelerate. Rounded corners prevent that from happening.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:25 PM
Larry3215

The same thing applies to regular floats on a float plane or sea plane by the way. The step always has a sharp 90 degree corner.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:47 PM
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

Hey Larry! I was hoping you'd see this and respond, you're the man! I figured that must be the issue, but I didn't know why. Live and learn, eh?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 06-06-2010, 11:32 AM
surfer dude
Super Contributor

Just finished my polaris. I have not had a chance to fly it yet, but I did a taxi test in the grass, with the wind blowing about 25mph, it accidentaly took off, got about 5' high, I chopped the power, and made a nice easy touch down. I think it was just streaching it's wings.

Name:	mail[1].jpg
Views:	180
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	129522  
Old 06-06-2010, 10:58 PM
Larry3215

Congrats on surviving the mini-maiden!

You're in for some fun times

Quick Reply: XXL Polaris scratch build

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10460 seconds with 20 queries