A New "Light" Covering? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

A New "Light" Covering?

Old 02-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default A New "Light" Covering?

Hello All,
Until now, the "Micro" covering choices were MicroLite, SoLite + Nelson Litefilm, all basically the same product (as far as I can tell) re-packaged.
They come in the exact same colors, lengths, prices and appear identical. All use the same low temperature and I've mixed them many times without any problems or obvious differences.
But apparently now there's a new player in the Micro covering game, that is, covering that has its own adhesive and is pre-colored.
Hanger 9 UltraCote ParkLite.
http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Def...rodID=HANU0801
Photos of the colors here;
http://h1071118.hobbyshopnow.com/ser...=ALL&tag=qsrch
Also available here;
http://www.gravesrc.com/HANGAR_9_Ult...p/hanu0803.htm
The weight listed is 1.07 ounces per square yard. This converts to 3.370 grams per square foot. The metric conversion of 36 grams per square meter comes out slightly lighter, 3.344 grams per square foot.
This is roughly 1-1/2 grams per square foot heavier than the MicroLite/SoLite products already mentioned.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10443
But, it still lighter than virtually any of the usual MonoKote, UltraCote, SolarFilm, CoverLite materials we've been using until recently. The one exception is UltraCote Transparent Lite, listed at the same weight as the new Parklite, 3.4 grams per square foot.
One big difference is the color availabilty; The earlier "Micros" come in about a dozen opaques and a few "Transparents" but it's a fairly limited selection.
The Parklites are available in sixteen opaques and no transparents. Several are colors or variations that lend themselves to Warbirds, Scale models and a generally wider choice of color schemes.
Gray, True Red, Deep Red, Flame Red, Midnight Blue, Blue, Deep Blue, Olive Drab, Brown, Cream, Black, Bright Yellow, Cub Yellow, Silver, White, Orange. (I know, that comes to 17 colors, I'm just copying off the site!)
I'd say, at 3.4 grams per square foot they're not truly "Micro" weight, but are very suitable for smaller and lighter models. The availability of colors is great, but I'd like to see if the shades like Gray, Olive Drab, Cream, etc are "Flat" or glossy, since they would be mainly used for Warbirds.
Either way, it does give us another choice in covering. I plan to try a couple of colors and will post the results here.
Ron
Old 02-05-2010, 08:23 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

Darn, it's still a high temp film so it's not suitable for foam.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Unsafe for Foam?

Hi C.C.,
Thanks for pointing that out, you're exactly right!
http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Sup...rodID=HANU0801
I forgot to click on the "Resources" menu, I got busy trying to find a color chart and where-to-buy.
That temperature also means it won't be useable as a "mix" with the existing Micros, only medium to high temp films.
Mixing different temp films on the same structure is a real problem.
Which also means I likely won't get any, got plenty of high-temp film.
Ron
Old 02-06-2010, 09:22 PM
riverrat
circa: 1946

Default Superkote???

Ron!!

Have you ever used it?? H/L claims less wrinkles, more shrink, & low temp.

I might try some on my Guppy (multi curves) fuse. first. If I can't get it perfect, I'll take it off & go with the Lacquer paint!

Later!!
Jimmy
Old 02-06-2010, 11:45 PM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default SuperKote

Hi Jimmy,
No, I've never used SuperKote, The only film I've tried from Hobby_Lobby is Polycover, which works very well, about like UltraCote.
I'd say, of all the films I have used, UltraCote is the easiest to apply. It will stand a great range of temperature from medium to high, without melting or scorching. It molds around curves well and will even follow moderate compound curves without splicing.
But, if you're working with extreme compound or double compound (for example, tapered and curved, like the tip of an elliptical wing), you almost always have to splice in different pieces, one won't work.
The general rule is, use the largest single piece you can. When the wrinkles become too large or frequent to iron out, cut the material off at the edge of the wrinkles and use the next largest piece you can.
Occasionally you can slit the material at a wrinkle and overlap it. But this results in a double thickness section and is pretty ugly.
Good Luck!
Ron
Old 02-07-2010, 04:08 PM
riverrat
circa: 1946

Default Superkote

Ron!

Thanks!
I needed that good luck!!

Jimmy
Old 02-07-2010, 10:20 PM
MS_in_NY

Originally Posted by constantCrash View Post
Darn, it's still a high temp film so it's not suitable for foam.
Are any of the heat shrink films suitable for foam?

I've been meaning to lay my iron on a scrap of EPS to see what it can take. Just haven't got around to it yet.

......Mike
Old 02-07-2010, 10:29 PM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Safe For Foam?

Hi Mike,
Yes, several commercial films are safe for foam. EconoKote, TowerKote, UltraCote, and (I think) Coverite. Any of the "Micros" like SoLite + MicroLite.
Here's a thread with a brief description of the types of film.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51697
Here's a link to temperature settings;
http://www.coverite.com/accys/covr2700.html
Ron
Old 02-07-2010, 10:50 PM
MS_in_NY

Hey Ron, thanks.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:58 PM
texasclouds
Super Contributor

Anyone used the Parklite yet?
Old 07-15-2010, 01:43 AM
RWF

So, you work for Hanger 9? I happen to prefer SoLite!
Old 07-15-2010, 02:34 PM
texasclouds
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by RWF View Post
So, you work for Hanger 9? I happen to prefer SoLite!
who me? i like solite too, but colors are limited.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:26 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Have a project on the table and wondering if anyone has tried this UltraCote park lite stuff yet.

Mike
Old 09-18-2010, 01:18 AM
RWF

Default coverings

I still prefer Solite. I got some park lite from one place and more from another - not the same stuff! One source was borderline acceptable, the other was like MonoKote and totally unacceptable. I don't like the heavy, almost cardboard backing and the stuff is too heavy. If you are building a big fat heavy model it doesn't matter but for small stuff I prefer SoLite
Old 09-18-2010, 02:23 AM
RWF

Default Coverings

Low temp coverings can be used on foam - generally the lighter the covering the lower the temp required to apply.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:24 PM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

I was planning on using UltraCote for my Miss Stik ever since the plane went onto my wish list. The totally vain and petty reason being that it was the only heat shrink covering I could find that came in transparent violet/purple. However I don't see that color in the "lite" version and I want this bird as light as possible; does it even come in this color?
Old 09-23-2010, 10:23 AM
RWF

I tried the ParkLite orange - it has a ridiculously heavy almost poster board paper backing. It's easy to pull the covering material off but that's the only quality I liked. When trimming with a new razor blade the adhesive pulls out from under the covering - maybe the hot adhesive sticks to the blades? I don't have that problem with SoLite.
I left one of my planes in the van one day and I noticed the next morning that the ParkLite stuff "orange peeled" - it looked like wrinkly old skin. The SoLite on the same plane was in fact still perfect.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:57 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Good feedback - thanks. Think I will stick with others for now.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:02 PM
spad

I've covered 3 models with the stuff, and love it!
Old 09-23-2010, 06:15 PM
RWF

Default Coverings

I need to clarify. I bought some blue ParkLite from one hobby shop and it was quite acceptable. The orange I bought from another hobby shop seemed like another product, almost like MonoCote, but it did say ParkLite.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:40 AM
Rattlecat

I sort of like Towercote. It's between Solite and Econocote in weight and strength. Perfect for ~40 inchers. Maybe a bit heavy but the specs are .2oz/sq ft just like Solite. Couldn't be, the Solite is much lighter. It shrinks up much better than Econocote. So watch those delicate areas.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:22 PM
BluIIs

I used Parklite blue and black for a Park Scale Models Monocoupe 90A. It is lighter than Ultracote, my only previous experience. I'd use it again. It seems to stick well and shrinks enough to get me out of trouble. For this project, I wish the blue were a little lighter, but then again I ordered it without seeing it. So it was my risk in the first place.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:47 PM
RWF

Default Coverings

You have to consider the corners, curves etc. and make sure the stuff is fairly new. I bought some EkonoCote last week and some of it stuck but some of it didn't. Coverings don't last forever even if it's wrapped and bought from a hobby shop - the adhesive is the problem. Also, the higher temp stuff won't take to the curves and corners as well. High temp means thicker covering which means less stretch and 'shrinkability'. You may have learned this by now.
Fly high and have fun!
Old 11-25-2010, 11:53 PM
RWF

Default Coverings

By the way, ParkLite varies quite a bit in weight and characteristics. I still prefer SoLite and MicroLite because they are much more consistant in these qualities- weight, stretch and shrink.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:53 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

I'm a microlite fan -- no need to switch at the moment.

Quick Reply: A New "Light" Covering?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15483 seconds with 12 queries