1st flight ever today - report - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

1st flight ever today - report

Old 03-25-2006, 01:40 AM
ae5x

Talking 1st flight ever today - report

The winds died down and I finally had the chance to try my hand at this RC stuff! I'd finished my Slow Stick a couple days ago and was just waiting on the weather to cooperate.

I went with a co-worker to a vacant field & promptly nose-dived the SS into the only asphalt around. Twice. The impact knocked the gear shaft out and a washer or two couldn't be located in the "debris field" but we scrounged some up from another source and put them in what we think were the right places.

Attempt #3 was a success - I managed to get the SS up around 30' and started doing slow circles around the field. After a few laps, I put it into a brief shallow dive and the pulled the elevator back and completed a perfect loop, then cut the power & landed it gently (on the grass this time). Then topped off the battery while doing the Happy Dance and then on to Flight #4 which was also a success. It sure felt good to be getting the hang of this.

A few thoughts:

Spending a week practicing with FMS really helped. The park flyer model very closely simulates the characteristics of the SS as far as how it reacts during a turn, etc. It also got me familiar with the "reversed perspective" of the rudder when the plane is coming at me. The simulator time was well-spent.

I should have picked up some of those DuBro gadgets before trying to trim the servos. Without them, that process was tedious to the point that I allowed the lack of perfect adjustment to be "good enough". This contributed to the 2 nose dives & subsequent gearbox rebuild.

And, at only $30 including Speed 400 motor, I've ordered another SS just to have the spare parts.

In the meantime, I'm closely following all SS threads on here to see which motors you guys have upgraded to and what results you're getting. I can tell this is going to be a fun hobby.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:47 AM
Twmaster

Wooo!!

Glad to see another SS flyer! Next thing you know you'll be modding the thing like mad and asking how much is too much power for a brushless Slow Stick!

Congrats John.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:53 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Way to go John! Congrats!
Old 03-25-2006, 02:01 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Good Job John, You'll get a lot of enjoyment out of your stick! It gets better everytime you take it out

Seriously There have been many days where my other planes have bit the dust and to relieve the stress I get the stick out and punch holes in the sky, ever so slowly of course, but punch holes none the less!
Old 03-25-2006, 02:04 AM
Jeremy Z
Wind Warrior

Yes, congratulations. I'm actually pretty surprised that your first two flights were crashes after practicing with FMS. But then again, it is like you said: FMS has the planes trimmed perfectly, and with 0 wind, if you want it.

My first two flights also ended in crashes. THEN I went and downloaded FMS. I spent probably 12 hours on it before flying again, and it was a huge differenct. But noobs don't really want to hear this. They want to buy a cheap learning plane and learn to fly on that. Because after all, "It can't be that hard. I'm good at video games."
Old 03-25-2006, 02:19 AM
Rugar
FAA# OUTLAW!

Way to go John! Congratulations! But now you have gone a done it. Be prepared for your next step in this hobby called obsession, but don't worry because the obsession never ends . But it looks like you already found that though as you have already ordered another one . You will now want bigger and better, faster and more aerobatic, cooler looking and sleeker, 3D and pattern, 3S 4S 6S setups etc etc etc......... oh when will it end. NEVER!
Old 03-25-2006, 03:16 AM
watt_the?!
Super Contributor

i love these threads...can never get tired of others getting into the hobby and maidening or solo-ing their works...

well done John!!!

Tim
Old 03-25-2006, 03:25 AM
Ribcracker
Flight Junkie

Welcome aboard, pal. Your life is about to take on some real color. Pretty soon you'll be thinking about your plane(s) when you should be concentrating on your work or paying attention to your wife.
But what a wild ride it is. You're going to love it!
Keep us informed of your progress.
Fasten your seatbelt.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:50 PM
Doc Austin
Team Extreme Flight

Originally Posted by Jeremy Z View Post
THEN I went and downloaded FMS. I spent probably 12 hours on it before flying again, and it was a huge differenct.
OK, what's FMS?

I just bought the G3. Is FMS and add on?

Speaking of which, are there add on planes available for G3? I'de love to have an Ugly Stick.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:55 PM
Jeremy Z
Wind Warrior

FMS is a freeware flight simulator. FMS stands for Flying Model Simulator.

It's not as realistic as G3 and the graphics aren't as good, but it's free, and it's good enough. Also, it is not demanding on your hardware; you don't even need a graphics card.

If you have G3, a decent computer and graphics card, you won't want to bother with FMS.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:56 PM
gdhampton

FMS is a free simulator.

G3 has add-ons you can buy to get more planes and airports: http://www.realflight.com/
Old 03-27-2006, 08:03 PM
gdhampton

I just checked http://www.realflight.com/ and only found the Big Stik. It is in Add-ons Volume 1. There are also downloads that other users have contributed. I did not see a Ugly Stick.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:20 PM
Doc Austin
Team Extreme Flight

Originally Posted by gdhampton View Post
FMS is a free simulator.

G3 has add-ons you can buy to get more planes and airports: http://www.realflight.com/

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2006, 09:39 PM
Doc Austin
Team Extreme Flight

Originally Posted by gdhampton View Post
I just checked http://www.realflight.com/ and only found the Big Stik. It is in Add-ons Volume 1. There are also downloads that other users have contributed. I did not see a Ugly Stick.
Will the planes meant to be added onto G2 work in G3?

Big stick, ugly stick. I don't care. I just want something that flies great. I'de like to add that big stick, but i don't want to make a mistake and screw up my installation.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:48 PM
gdhampton

I am not sure. I think that G3 will accept the older planes. When you look at the plane list in G3 is has a section of G2 planes. The resolution may not be as good.

You should already have the BLT Park Flyer, which flies much like the Sticks.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:54 PM
Doc Austin
Team Extreme Flight

Where can I download the big stick? I couldn't find it on the real flight page.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:42 AM
wickedwelder
avaition fanatic

Default slow stick mod

i played with the ss and it rocks but if you clip 3.75 inches off both wings it really makes it carve i had my tricked love fly inverted but try the wing clip its free and it works
Old 02-16-2009, 01:48 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Wow! Holy thread revival Batman!

This may be a new record!
Old 02-16-2009, 04:25 AM
con244

Congrats ae5x, wait till you have a bunch of birds following your SS around the flying field, magic! Just slightly off topic, does anyone have full size drawings of the tail feathers for the Slow Stick? I need to replace mine and I think I'll do them in balsa.
Con
Old 02-16-2009, 04:30 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Wow! Holy thread revival Batman!

This may be a new record!

Lol yeah this one was all skeleton and blammo! Back to life.

I think though you'd have to save the record for a 3 year old thread that was revived by one of the actual participants, like:

Poster 1: "Hrmm, I wonder what the weather's like in the Arctic Circle?"
Poster 2" "Well, why don't you go there and see."

...Three years pass...

Poster 1: "Okay so, its freakin cold there."

lol
Old 02-16-2009, 01:39 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

yeah nothing wrong here, just thought it was amusing is all.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:55 PM
Ribcracker
Flight Junkie

A man answered a knock at his door to find a snail who said, "Good evening, sir. Would you be interested in donating to the snail benevolence fund?"
The man shouted, "NO!", bent down, picked up the snail and threw it as hard and far as he could.
Three years later, he answered a knock at his door to find the snail who said, "Now, what did you do that for?"
Old 02-16-2009, 09:21 PM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
Wooo!!

Glad to see another SS flyer! Next thing you know you'll be modding the thing like mad and asking how much is too much power for a brushless Slow Stick!

Congrats John.
I can tell you what isn't, a power 15