Hello new to RC helos - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

Hello new to RC helos

Old 05-07-2011, 05:25 AM
Thatguyjae

Default Hello new to RC helos

Hello all! I'm very new to RC helos but am very excited to be getting into this hobby. Growing up I flew RC planes with my dad, gas though not electric, however I didn't ever get to helos. My dad bought me an air hog a couple of months ago to fly around my apartment. It's been fun but very small I wanted something bigger I could fly outside as I just moved to FL and have a grassy area outside my apartment. Well I was at the mall today and ended up getting an RC they were selling, I know I should have done research and looked for something but I got sucked in lol
Anyways I ended up with a defender 3.5 channel swat helo, looks pretty cool. Took it for a quick test flight but it was getting dark so didn't last long. I'm hoping I can trim it better tomorrow as it seemed to constantly be going backwards just slightly and was climbing way faster than I expected. Any advice for a n00bie, in regards to general flight. I know this one is still pretty simple but seems like a good first step past the super simple air hog!!

Look forward to learning from all members sorry for the long first post!!
Old 05-07-2011, 06:01 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Welcome aboard! Great crowd here, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:05 AM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

Welcome to WattFlyer!

Those simple heli's often dont have much you can do in the way of fine tuning or adjustments.

Look at the transmitter and see if there is a small switch or slider button just under the stick that controlls right/left/forward/back movement.

Those small switches or sliders are used to trim the model in flight. Adjusting them will make fine changes in the models forward/back or left/right hover position.

The trim switch under the stick controls the left/right trim and the switch on the side controls forward/back.

Play with them until the model hovers in one place without moving.

If your transmitter does NOT have those switches - or some other way to adjust trims, then your only option is probably going to be to add small bits of weight to the nose or tail to try to adjust the balance.

If the heli is going backwards, add a tiny bit of weight to the nose and keep adding until it hovers hands off.

I dont know that heli so I cant tell you how much to add. It might only take a small piece of tape to balance a small heli or it might take a nickle or more for a larger one.

the down side to adding weight is that the heli will have a harder time taking off and wont respond as fast and you will have shorter flight times. So use the absolute minimum you can get away with.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Thatguyjae

Here is a pic of the controller and Helo I got. After browsing on here I'm seeing just how simple this one is, next one will def be a bit more advanced. I figure this was a logical step up from the Air Hog, hopefully it ends up working for me. The only trim I'm seeing is for left and right not forward and back. It hovers OK only flew for a couple of mins need to try again. It kept going higher than I expected so I was more worried about that need to try and keep a low hover to see what it does as far as forward and backwards.

Last edited by Thatguyjae; 05-07-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:30 PM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Is this the one?

http://www.ujtoys.com/257-Defender-3...p/uj%20257.htm

It looks great, but if you're really into flying, you'll be wanting to move up to a full 'hobby quality' helo. The one you have looks like it has minimal control. With a higher quality one you'll have full control, and trim controls to take care of that drifting problem.

If you want to just fly indoors, the Blade MCX2 I think is a good candidate.

http://www.bladehelis.com/Products/D...rodId=EFLH2400

It has full 4 channel control, and uses a 2.4g radio. It appears your heli, while it states '3.5 channel', only has vertical, foreward/aft, and yaw control. And it uses an infra-red transmitter. So it might be challenging to fly. The Blade MCX helo's are very easy to fly and durable, and you'll be able to fully control it.

There are other similar, and I'm sure good, small starter helo's, but that's the one I'm familiar with. I think Cox now sells a more affordable, but very similar one. So if you really want quality stuff, stay away from the 'toy' brands. Be sure they use either a 72mhz or 2.4g radio, and have full 4 channel control. Be careful how some products qualify controls. Some consider up and down 2 channels! That's just one channel. Read the beginners guides around here, and 'window shop' some online hobby shops (Not toy stores!) to see what's out there.

Re-reading your last post, you probably already have a handle on what I'm saying. Let us know how it goes.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:33 PM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Talking

Hi
Welcome aboard
Pleased to meet you
Larry has given you excellent advice for that type of heli
All i can add is to be very gentle smooth and even in your stick movements and if you get into trouble kill the throttle, its better to drop a few ft then to have the rotor blades thrashing about, it will cause more damage then a small drop to the floor
I have many 2 3 4 and 6 channel helis Coax FP and CP
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=438
If you have any specific questions about RC helis just ask and i will try to be of help
Take care
Yours Hank
Old 05-07-2011, 04:37 PM
Thatguyjae

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Is this the one?

It looks great, but if you're really into flying, you'll be wanting to move up to a full 'hobby quality' helo. The one you have looks like it has minimal control. With a higher quality one you'll have full control, and trim controls to take care of that drifting problem.

It has full 4 channel control, and uses a 2.4g radio. It appears your heli, while it states '3.5 channel', only has vertical, foreward/aft, and yaw control. And it uses an infra-red transmitter. So it might be challenging to fly. The Blade MCX helo's are very easy to fly and durable, and you'll be able to fully control it.

There are other similar, and I'm sure good, small starter helo's, but that's the one I'm familiar with. I think Cox now sells a more affordable, but very similar one. So if you really want quality stuff, stay away from the 'toy' brands. Be sure they use either a 72mhz or 2.4g radio, and have full 4 channel control. Be careful how some products qualify controls. Some consider up and down 2 channels! That's just one channel. Read the beginners guides around here, and 'window shop' some online hobby shops (Not toy stores!) to see what's out there.

Re-reading your last post, you probably already have a handle on what I'm saying. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the input! Def will shop around next time, might even look into returning this one lol. Just flew it for a few mins before the battery died put a penny in the cockpit and it seemed to level it out as far as drifting backwards. It was at a RC kiosk in the mall so def a bit on the toy side still but will move forward from here! I'm eventually going to want something a bit more challenging that is indoor outdoor as there is a great little grassy area right outside my apartment. Its been years since I was into this hobby so I'm ok with starting with a toy for now, plus it does look pretty cool even if it doesn't offer the full range of control I will eventually be looking for.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:44 PM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Thumbs up

Is this the one?

http://www.ujtoys.com/257-Defender-3...p/uj%20257.htm

http://www.bladehelis.com/Products/D...rodId=EFLH2400

Hi
Great advice
Blade MCX 2 is a very good one also the MSR
MSR
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...&highlight=msr
You may also want to look at the Revell ProtoCX very fine Um heli imho
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...hlight=protocx
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank

Last edited by kenchiroalpha; 08-15-2011 at 01:41 AM.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:31 PM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

You're right, Hank, it's Revell, I thought it was Cox that put that one out. Is Cox still even around? Anyways, I looked at the Revell one online, and it looks to be just like the MCX.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:55 PM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

You're right, Hank, it's Revell, I thought it was Cox that put that one out. Is Cox still even around? Anyways, I looked at the Revell one online, and it looks to be just like the MCX.
Hi
They sure areand they have some wonderful new aircraft i want badly
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...&highlight=cox
And the Proto CX flies much better then the MCX which btw i returned and in place off got one of the Protos, ive found that they are more like the MCX2 in maneuverbility and speed
They can move a a good clip
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank
Old 05-08-2011, 04:16 AM
chap1012
F-111, Korat RTAFB

I have an mcX (1yr old) with a msr swashplate installed which was a complete drop in. I can fly in a very gentle breeze outside. I have read many posts about the mcx2 motors running so hot they warp the main frame where the motors mount. The pinions and gears will not mesh now. I have heard the mcx2 is a beautiful flyer much like the mcx. Because of it's more powerful motors and the heat they produce, it's a good idea to keep an eye on the fly time....I would land before the heli told me to

Just my 2 pennies

Mike
Old 05-14-2011, 11:56 PM
Thatguyjae

Well just found my local Hobbytown, wasn't sure where it was as I just recently moved to FL but went in and after some thinking and comparing I decided to get the Blade MSR. I've only flown for one battery but already I'm in love and hooked!! Flies so much better than the "helo" I got at the mall, I'm still going to try and balance the toy one as its bigger and more suited for flying outside. I was tempted to get the 120 SR because its a little bigger and would be easier to fly outside, but I decided for now a smaller indoor one will suit me just fine. I want to get used to the 4 channel flying before I tackle flying outside with wind and such.

Can the MSR be flown outside if the wind is very light??
Old 05-15-2011, 12:04 AM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Talking

Originally Posted by Thatguyjae View Post
Well just found my local Hobbytown, wasn't sure where it was as I just recently moved to FL but went in and after some thinking and comparing I decided to get the Blade MSR. I've only flown for one battery but already I'm in love and hooked!! Flies so much better than the "helo" I got at the mall, I'm still going to try and balance the toy one as its bigger and more suited for flying outside. I was tempted to get the 120 SR because its a little bigger and would be easier to fly outside, but I decided for now a smaller indoor one will suit me just fine. I want to get used to the 4 channel flying before I tackle flying outside with wind and such.

Can the MSR be flown outside if the wind is very light??
Hi
Congratulations
So very happy to see your enjoying your new toy
And yes indeed they can, the MSR really shines with a large space to fly her in
Do enjoy
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzKQCi5dbn8&feature=related[/media]
Take care
Yours Hank
Old 05-15-2011, 12:08 AM
Thatguyjae

I imagine that open space will really be enjoyable, as from the few mins I've flown the MSR I can tell its fast which should be a blast. Right outside my apartment there is a pretty well protected grassy area where wind should be low most of the time
Old 05-15-2011, 04:39 AM
Thatguyjae

I've flown about 4-5 battery charges thus far and am in love with my mSR!! I've gotten it trimmed pretty well hovers very nicely, think it could use a little more fine tuning but its great for now. I do most of my flying with just simple rudder turns but I'm getting the combined aileron, rudder, elevator turns down a bit.

Really can't wait to try outside as my apartment isn't big enough for much speed, def need more practice before I move outdoors!! Well before I move outside with any sort of speed.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:33 PM
Thatguyjae

Ok so I've flown more than a couple batteries through it and I'm still loving it. I'm slowly getting better just a quick question, whenever I'm just hovering and go to move forward a bit it seems to go back almost as far once I attempt to level back out, what could be causing this? Trim? not smooth enough inputs me? It seems to get a bit of TBE when i make small movements.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:32 PM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

It's the self stabilizing design of the rotor, that causes the 'moving back' part. As far as TBE, I think I read others opened the hole a little for the flybar, as it was binding some. Maybe do a search on MSR TBE. I'd look now, but I'm at work.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:43 PM
Thatguyjae

It's the self stabilizing design of the rotor, that causes the 'moving back' part. As far as TBE, I think I read others opened the hole a little for the flybar, as it was binding some. Maybe do a search on MSR TBE. I'd look now, but I'm at work.

Will do thanks for the tip!
Old 06-22-2011, 02:58 AM
molokaiboy

Well if you see yourself staying in the RC helis for the long run, I would suggest a good simulator. It is a very valuable piece of tool to help you in your quest to fly. There are many sims out there so check them out and decide what you want from a sim. I have only used Real Flight and Phoenix and many can be found for pretty cheap on the forums.

The one thing I have found is that the Phoenix works well with most computers. The RF on the other hands seems to need a better video card to enjoy the sims full potential, a card that most of the off the shelf pcs don't have. Both are great and others may have different opinions.

I have found that many heli pilots enjoy the Phoenix over the RF and vice versa. Phoenix have free upgrades, models, etc. RF has upgrades for sale. Depending on which sim you get the Phoenix has a combo with a Real flyable transmitter. But as you will find many helis need atleast 6 channels, and the included DX5e has only 5. Both have their pros and cons but you will have to make the decision on which sim to get.

There other sims like ClearView, FS One, Aerofly, FMS and more.

Aloha,
Les