Classic Flying Machines F-15 Eagle - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Classic Flying Machines F-15 Eagle

Old 05-04-2006, 12:43 AM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

Default Classic Flying Machines F-15 Eagle

I have the kit on the way...anybody built one?
Their website shows a Gloster Meteor in development...now THAT's exciting!

My F-15 will get a glassed finish and retracts.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:16 PM
luv2fly2

What is there website?
Old 05-07-2006, 02:22 AM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

classicflyingmachines.com
Old 05-10-2006, 01:40 PM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

Kit arrived, looks very nice, can't beleive NOBODY has any comment or experience with it?
Old 05-10-2006, 08:41 PM
mediq

Too much planking Easy...
Old 05-11-2006, 12:40 AM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

I hear you on that...can't say I really ENJOY planking, but sometimes it just has to be done. Thankfully, the F-15 has very few compound curves. Still, when I compare it to the large all fiberglass F-15 I have on the way, it's pretty silly, how much work it is. But balsa comes out LIGHT. Any way you slice it, an all-balsa airframe will be lighter than glass and foam, pretty much always.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:53 AM
mediq

Yea I have an AEM F-15 sitting in a box I always seem to find something else to build.
I'll be checkin out your build thread..
Old 05-11-2006, 05:01 AM
U812

Just get busy. Both of you. Hey I developed the EAM F-15 and got the darn thing to fly. Still have it. Still fly it.

Curtis, there's nothing better than a nice wood build. Planking goes fast and you've had tons of experience with it. If I know you she'll be all framed in under two weeks.

I saw the CFM F-15 fly on video. As always they fly hands off. Damn stable. Slow speed landings.

So medig. Get off your rear and build it. Here's a little something to get your blood worked up.

Steve

http://sneill.com/eamvideos/f-15_3.wmv
Old 05-11-2006, 05:08 AM
mediq

I hear ya Steve I'm being a punk I need to build it it's the cage like building a boat in a bottle I don't no if Im ready for the challenge..
Old 05-11-2006, 05:28 AM
U812

Well go back to my building thread I originally did on RCG. What I did was real simple and I guess Dave didn't feel comfortable with it. Man! You can't copy and paste here. What's up with that guys.

Well do a search. It's there and it's a hell of a lot easier and you'll get in the air quick.

Go forth and fly men!

Steve
Old 05-11-2006, 04:10 PM
mediq

Dang Steve That's wrong Why did you have to show that Vid again.?
The EAM F-15 with it's fiberglass fuse and pre-sheeted wings is a Sweet kit. The fiber glass fuse is first rate and the pre-sheeted wings are fantastic. With that said The F-15 will move up to the front ahead of my wemo mig-15. I will have to get over my phobia of the cage and get busy thanks Steve I needed that LOL.

Tony
Old 05-11-2006, 05:16 PM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

Originally Posted by U812 View Post
Just get busy. Both of you. Hey I developed the EAM F-15 and got the darn thing to fly. Still have it. Still fly it.

Curtis, there's nothing better than a nice wood build. Planking goes fast and you've had tons of experience with it. If I know you she'll be all framed in under two weeks.

I saw the CFM F-15 fly on video. As always they fly hands off. Damn stable. Slow speed landings.

So medig. Get off your rear and build it. Here's a little something to get your blood worked up.

Steve

http://sneill.com/eamvideos/f-15_3.wmv
I know, I just have to get started! Have not had a lot of time lately, a real backlog of projects...
All F-15s fly great, like you said!
Old 05-11-2006, 05:18 PM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

Well go back to my building thread I originally did on RCG. What I did was real simple and I guess Dave didn't feel comfortable with it. Man! You can't copy and paste here. What's up with that guys.

Well do a search. It's there and it's a hell of a lot easier and you'll get in the air quick.

Go forth and fly men!

Steve
"Dave" being EAM? What happened?

Your F-15 is really nice...a glass and foam kit will go togther in a quarter of the time this one will...but it will usually be heavier. You pays your money and takes your chances! I'm sure halfway through the planking I will be wishing for a glass fuse!
Old 05-12-2006, 05:52 AM
U812

Nothing happened. He just wanted to do a more sophisticated structure than my rather simple approach. KISS always works best.

Easytiger I don't think that's the case. Your build will go fast and beautiful as usual. You'll be very pleased I'm sure.

Steve
Old 05-12-2006, 06:00 AM
Netmechanic
I throw Jets

Nothing happened. He just wanted to do a more sophisticated structure than my rather simple approach. KISS always works best.

Easytiger I don't think that's the case. Your build will go fast and beautiful as usual. You'll be very pleased I'm sure.

Steve
I'll agree about the ducting, it's nice all molded like it is but you end up addng alot of weight and it makes getting to the motors a little rough. The simpler approach might be the better one in this instance.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:04 AM
Netmechanic
I throw Jets

Here's a couple EAM Ducting Pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-106F.JPG
Views:	386
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	11483   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-155F.JPG
Views:	376
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	11484   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-176F.JPG
Views:	414
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	11485  
Old 05-12-2006, 06:06 AM
U812

Two rolled tubes of PETG is what I used. The two fans bolted together at the center and attached to two motor mounts I made either side of the fuse. It takes just seconds to get them out this way and the ducts are mounted only at the intakes and fit over the fan . Dead simple.

Steve

Name:	1kw F-15 2.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	11486  
Old 05-12-2006, 01:27 PM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

The CFM has the ducting made up out of a bunch of pieces of ABS that need to be joined. Have not started yet, I first have to pull the motor out of my 62 Morgan. And, of course, along the way, I am finding many other things that need attention, like redoing the radiator, etc...

Got dirt under my nails, for sure...anyway...
The CFM one has the manual as a Powerpoint Presentation on CD, so my laptap will have to sit on the bench while I build. Anybody want to start a pool to see how many keys get glued?

All molded ducting, well...I have not seen the two setups, but, generally, efficient ducting is worth some weight, people underestimate exactly how much is lost through poor ducting design, because there is no real way to measure it except while it is standing still, which does not tell all. If you look at some of the BVM planes, they is a LOT of thought and math put into the ducting, more than you think, which is why they are consistently faster than the competition. I doubt EAM did any actual math, but if it's smoother than rolled PETG, it might be better. I'm consistenly blown away by what passes for ducting in the EDF world, it's like giving away power.

Hey, John Wright just took over RCJI! I'm telling him to encourage you to stop playing with these silly toy submarines and make some jets to show in the magazine! Quit playing already!

"Hey...that's not a torpedo! It's a SALAMI!"-
From Disney's THE BOATNIKS
Old 05-12-2006, 06:02 PM
Ed Waldrep

Are you guys saying "planking" when you mean "sheeting"? What I define planking as is using strips of sheet balsa less than 1" wide to cover an area of a fuselage, engine hump, or nacelle that has a compound curve (compound meaning for those who may be wondering, curved in two diretions, such as an egg, whereas a peanut butter jar is a simple tube, excluding the top and bottom of course).

Now when I say "sheeting", I mean that the surface is a simple curve and I'm using wide pieces of balsa sheet, anywhere from 1/32" to 1/8" thick and 3 to 6 inches wide, to "sheet" or "skin" a fuselage. On a simple curve, say a 737 fuselage in the middle where it's basically a tube and there's not wing fillets, "sheeting" is all that's really required because the wood only has to bend in one direction. I've seen some people in build pics use "planking" with multiple narrow strips to sheet sections of fuselage like this and I wonder why. Now granted, many airplanes have compuound curves at the nose, then a simple curve tube fuselage, and then more compound curves in the back (think of the full 737 or Airbus fuselage). If it's a small airplane, I guess I can see carrying the planking all the way from nose to tail, but being the lazy modeler I am, I'd be more apt to sheet the middle tube section with large, wide sheets, and then plank the nose and tail. The reason being that planking before sanding can be a pretty rough surface with all of the joints, and will need sanding. This may reduce the overall strength of the model since the sheets end, but with stringers running along the inside that can spread the load out quite a bit and more of a fuselage that's plenty strong enough to handle flight loads.

I've planked a couple of fuselages (F9F Panther I designed but didn't finish) and the only reason I used planking was because it was the only way to get the gentle curve required. One can use flat sheet between the bulkheads and sand to shape, but that usually is very noticeable and doesn't look right as you can see the steps where the angle changes. I've been guilty of this shortcut myself, and I've noticed it in a lot of the depron airliner builds. It makes the plane look like a plane build of polygons from Microsoft Flight Sim 4 or something!

Planking is not a huge deal as some may think, using CA and kicker it goes rather quick but still takes more time than 'sheeting'. The sanding and filling can be a pain though!

I've not built the classic flying machines airplane and it's been a while since i've seen pics on the ezone but from what i've observed of the full size F-15, most of the forward fuselage could be sheeted with wide sheets behind the radome, but I know there's a compound curve there so maybe some planking in that area from nose to the end of the radome is necessary. Either that or perhaps they supply large balsa blocks to sheet the nose and sand in the compound curve, which is much easier and probably what they do. Blocks of foam or balsa make compound curves much easier as I'm sure you all know.

The "engine humps" are another area on the F-15 that'd probably need planking to look right, if the kit has a scale outline in that area.

Sorry for the novel length post, just wanted to see if we are reading from the same sheet of music as they say in wherever they say that.

Good luck Easy, can't wait to see it finished!
Old 05-12-2006, 06:11 PM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

Yes, we are on the exact same page...this one will need both planking AND sheeting! It's not such a big deal, like you say, if you know what you are doing...but still...
A giant coffin arrived from China this morning, and within ten minutes, I had the wings and tails plugged in and it was sitting there looking like an F-15 wiating for the equipement to be installed! No planking required! THAT is the advantage of fiberglass. On the other hand, it weighs much, much more than a balsa airframe would...
Old 05-12-2006, 09:27 PM
U812

I'm working on it Easy!

Steve
Old 05-13-2006, 02:05 PM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

I'm working on it Easy!

Steve
Stop minkeying with submersibles! Don't you know how subs got the Kaiser into trouble? Bet he wishes he had never even HEARD of them!

Here is the advantage of composites. This is ten minutes out of the box. My point being, if you want to sell model airplanes nowadays...the arfier the better. There aren't that many guys like you and I who will still dig into a balsa kit.

Name:	Img25927.JPG
Views:	313
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	11541   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img25928.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	11542  
Old 05-13-2006, 04:46 PM
mediq

I didn't know that CFM F-15 had a glass fuse....
Old 05-13-2006, 04:53 PM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

No, that's a Jetlegend plane for turbine. Just pointing out the differences...what glass can do versus balsa. That's ten minutes out of the box. On the other hand, it's not light. Balsa is.
I will enjoy the CFM kit, I do love building, but, boy...you can't blame guys for arfing, it's hard to beat the arves nowadays!
I think there is a great future in smaller all-composite models...AirPower has that small composite F-15 they are working on, can't wait to seee it.

We are getting way off the CFM model, though!

I have not started it yet, but contents look great, lots of laser cut balsa and ply, lots of ABS parts, full ducting...
Old 05-13-2006, 07:52 PM
mediq

Hey Easy They aren't in the states are they Hong Kong..?
What will your power plant be I think I've seen that f-15 kit on the net has great detail..

Originally Posted by easytiger View Post
No, that's a Jetlegend plane for turbine. Just pointing out the differences...what glass can do versus balsa. That's ten minutes out of the box. On the other hand, it's not light. Balsa is.
I will enjoy the CFM kit, I do love building, but, boy...you can't blame guys for arfing, it's hard to beat the arves nowadays!
I think there is a great future in smaller all-composite models...AirPower has that small composite F-15 they are working on, can't wait to seee it.

We are getting way off the CFM model, though!

I have not started it yet, but contents look great, lots of laser cut balsa and ply, lots of ABS parts, full ducting...

Quick Reply: Classic Flying Machines F-15 Eagle

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15120 seconds with 19 queries