Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-05-2016, 11:13 PM   #1
fog

Friends: (0)
Default cg location

hello all
I have a mustang (dago red is name on body) 1600mm wing span that porposes severely. I added some weight to nose and this helped a little but i am at a lose on cure. I am also a very new beginner and would appreciate any help. plane was given to me with no manual and i don't even no who manufacturer is
Old 12-06-2016, 12:22 AM   #2
Bald Paul

View Bald Paul's Gallery9
Club: Campobello Flyers
Friends: (4)

Lots of companies sell Dago Red Mustangs in 1600mm span, however, a mustang is a mustang is a mustang, so the CG should be about the same in all of them, I would think. Pic attached shows a typical CG point, and you'll have to estimate that on your plane.

BTW, "very new beginner" and "mustang" don't really go all that well together. You may want to consider starting out with something slower and more stable.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CG.JPG (36.5 KB, 213 views)

What goes up, must come down. The trick is to keep it in one piece.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:05 AM   #3
fog

Thank you for the quick reply. From your photo it looks like cg is at one third. I'm going to start at this point and see what happens. I'm sure your right about mustang and beginner, but a mustang is such a beautiful thing in flight I couldn't resist. Ive been practicing with a Bixler 3 and will be trying the mustang in 3 or 4 weeks
Old 12-06-2016, 01:33 AM   #4
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (21)

Chances are it's the HK version actually made by Starmax. There's a large thread over on RCG. VQ and World models had balsa and ply versions of the Dago. Some composite versions out there too.

I assume yours is a foamie ? How old ? HK was still selling them about 3 years ago. I almost bought one.

Check out the thread and look in the attachments section. There may be a manual available in pdf. Or in searching the thread, type in cg. 110mm from wing root.

Thread is called: 1600mm Starmax P-51 build report. Only 321 pages.

They had different versions like Shangri-la, Big Beautiful Doll, Dago Red

I 100% agree with Paul on this not being a plane to get started with. Besides being a Warbird in general, it's a mustang. As in pony! Maybe a third plane after a high wing trainer like the Apprentice S and then graduating to an Eflight T-28.
Being a bronco buck as you suggested, hats off for getting her back down. Usually, we fly tail heavy once.

I'd be surprised if that's not the one. Not made anymore. Probably have to be a Macgyver.

Best of luck and welcome to the addiction!

Hawk
Old 12-06-2016, 01:44 AM   #5
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (8)

My advise, when teaching a beginner, is to fly the easy plane until you are actually flying the plane in the flight path you have in your mind, not reacting to something the plane or wind did, and then you have to figure out how to get it back under control.

This may take 50 or more flights, sometimes less sometimes more. You should get real comfortable with a plane before you step up.

The Mustang was designed to be a fighter, so it will have higher wing loading, which means it has to fly faster than Bixler, and quicker response than it also. If possible have an experienced flyer test out the P-51, and then be with you when you start flying it.

Post your location, and maybe someone here can help or get you in touch with some one that can. And almost every city has a model club, they should help also.

Welcome to Wattflyer we will try to help answer any questions you come up with. Don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at one point.

Dave R, KI7MTA Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:43 AM   #6
fog

thanks for the suggestions. currently my flying has been totally reactive. After hearing everyone thoughts Ive decided to get one of the horizon SAFE models and get some time under my belt. The mustang is a foamie and I know one crash will turn it into scrap. I did join a club and when it warms up here I know they will help
Old 12-06-2016, 02:55 AM   #7
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (21)

Great fog!

You're on a great path for success. Everyone's learn curve is a little different. Some pick it up quickly. Others it takes more time and some are hopeless.

Check out MotionRC. Arguably the best online hobby shop on the planet. Great guys.

With your enthusiasm, I'm sure you'll
be tearing a hole in the sky very soon.

There's probably not a day that goes by where I haven't learned something new.

A plethora of expertise on this forum with most willing to chime in and help you along the way. There are no dumb questions. Just questions. Plus you'll find WF a more relaxed and friendly place than other sites.

Good luck !

Hawk
Old 12-06-2016, 05:59 AM   #8
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (10)

The problem doesnt sound like a CG issue to me. Usually these sort of problems are pilot induced due to 'over controlling' possibly the elevator is set with too much throw or you need to add some exponential or maybe it's purely 'dumb thumbs'.

Making the plane horribly nose heavy might mask the problem as it dulls down the elevator response but it's not addressing the real issue.

Good call in getting some more practice on a more suitable plane.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:02 PM   #9
fog

You may be right about being more then cg. Adding nose weight made the mustang flyable (barely). I cut elevator control back to 30% and added 20% expo. Now bucking is roughly 10 feet of altitude changes. over the next few weeks I'm going to set CG at 1/3 so I have a fixed starting point and start from there. It took me 4 sets of wings to feel comfortable with Bixler. Im sure practice will help a lot.
"With old age comes wisdom" dumb thumbs is another story
Old 12-06-2016, 04:40 PM   #10
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (10)

Sticky hinges and/or linkages so that the elevator doesn't return properly to centre can also do it.. so that's something else to check.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:25 PM   #11
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (8)

You could ask "Santa" for Real Flight X
A simulator can give a person a lot of help, they are not quite the same as real flying, but they do help a lot with over control, perspective, setting up to land a fast plane, and of course flying many different planes.

I wish I could afford a big gas powered Sbach, my favorite plane on Real Flight. So far.

Dave R, KI7MTA Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:42 AM   #12
fog

I checked the elevator right after seeing JETPLANEFLYER post and found a pivot used on a repair seized with ca glue. I am replacing elevator hinges and hope it makes a difference. The seized pivot would bend when checking operation on preflight so I never noticed any problem. Thanks for help. I'll post what happens.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:22 AM   #13
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (17)

The recc'd to get a Sim is good advice ----- but no need to pay RF pricing !

Clearview is more than good enough for roughly $30 and full action demo can be downloaded to try.

JPF mentioned something that crossed my mind - amount of control movement. Something like the Mustang does not need massive throws like a trainer.

I nearly went looking for the "my model goes 100mph" video but decided not to !

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 01-22-2017, 03:20 PM   #14
fog

I replaced elevator hinges (found one very tight), and i moved the battery about an inch forward (had to modify battery compartment). Flew it last Sunday.Now it will even fly hands off! Thank you all.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:41 PM   #15
squidger

Friends: (3)

Get a proficient flyer to fly it for you. The best way to check your CG is to invert the model and see how much down elevator is needed to fly straight and level. A correct CG will need just a little down elevator. If the model climbs when inverted the CG is too rearwards. It should go into a shallow dive with sticks at neutral when inverted.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:35 PM   #16
fog

Thanks for all the help. I got an experienced pilot to trim it out, now it will fly straight and level. Its still a handful for me, so i dropped it off at my local hobby shop and will trade it in on a Horizon T28 with built in gyro. A year of practice and I may be ready for a Hot warbird!
Old 01-30-2017, 09:51 AM   #17
squidger

Friends: (3)

the T28 is a really nice flying aircraft. Mine hasn't got giros fitted and flies superbly. You will enjoy it.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:55 AM   #18
OrangeFlyer89
Happy Flyer

Originally Posted by fog View Post
....so i dropped it off at my local hobby shop and will trade it in on a Horizon T28 with built in gyro.
Ok so now I'm curious,where is this hobbyshop that will take used trade ins toward buying new airplanes?
Old 01-31-2017, 10:39 PM   #19
fog

I need to apologize, my wording wasn't the best. I left it with my hobby shop on consignment (They have 40 or 50 planes on consignment). As soon as it sells I will get the T28. Us retirees need to stretch our coins as much as possible! The hobby shops name is Family Hobbies located in Symrna TN.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions