Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Micro Sized Electric Helicopters Discuss micro and mini sized electric rc helis in here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-29-2006, 11:19 AM   #1
jaskel

Friends: (0)
Default Mode Change twister Bell medevac?

hey guys, i wanna change my TX for the medevac from mode 1 to mode 2...does anyone have any tips or instructions on how to do this?
Im sick of going between modes with the planes and then with the chopper...
Cheers

Jas
Old 12-17-2006, 09:21 AM   #2
Actionman22

Default How to change to mode 2, Twister Bell Medivac

method follows
Old 12-17-2006, 09:23 AM   #3
Actionman22

Default How to change to mode 2, Twister Bell Medivac

Hi jas.

I just bought my twister bell on saturday (16thDec), i had some trouble trimming it in, but got it right eventually, had to adjust the gain on the 4 in 1.
Today (sunday17th), i converted the radio to mode 2, it is relatively easy but you need to be decent with a soldering iron and a pair of thin needle nose pliers.
The process goes like this, swap the spring on the fore/aft cyclic stick axis for the clicker spring on the throttle axis.

Note - the left/right gimble assemblies are identical, internally, just one is rotated 180 degrees, so when you swap the return spring and arm for the clicker leaf spring, they are not simply mirrored, they are also rotated. It should be pretty obvious as you are removing parts, how they will go back in on the opposite side

Process, Read fully first.
1. Remove the back casing of the radio. note- unplug the power lead to the pcb, dont just yank off the cover.
2. Remove the arial, it gets in the way.
3. The throttle axis of the gimble does not have a return spring, it has a 'clicker' leaf spring to provide the throttle clicks. Remove this.
4. The fore/aft cyclic axis on the left stick (mode 1) has a return spring. you need to remove this and replace the leaf clicker spring instead.
To do this, carerfully remove the coil tension spring from the spring return pivot bar and spring tensioner hook. Lift the spring return pivot bar out of the gimble by the pivoting end. Remove the spring tensioner hook. You now have three loose parts, pivot bar, spring and tensioner hook. Re-assembly into the opposite gimble is trickier. Thread the spring return pivot bar under the soon to be 'fore/aft cyclic' gimble axis and drop its pivoting end into the pivot socket. You will find it tricky to hook the spring onto the spring return pivot bars' end and the tensioner hook, persevere with the long nose pliers and use a small screwdriver to lift the pivot arms hook up to make it easier.
5. install the removed leaf clicker spring to the, soon to be, throttle axis ensure that it's centered and clicking smoothly.
6. Flip your radio over and check you got it right, you should have a fully sprung right stick, and a clicky vertical / sprung horizintal axis on the left stick.
You will now need to switch the pot leads from both vertical gimbles axes'. The small pcbs attached to each pot are where the action occurs. note that there are 3 wires per pot, These are red-blue-black for throttle, and red-orange-black for fore/aft cyclic. The two pcbs you are working here are the ones close together in the middle of the radio.
NOTE 1- I assume that the radios' wire colour coding for channels and pots on your radio is the same as mine, mentally substitute colours if it is not.
NOTE 2- The apparent lead 'plugs' that are connected to both the pot pcbs are NOT plugs, they are just being used as a spacer/carrier for the wires and would have made factory assembly easier. Do not try to yank them off.
7.Desolder the wires from the vertical axis pcbs, thouroughly, get as much off as possible. Wiggle the wire spacer to loosen off the last dag of solder and seperate the lead and faux plugs from the pcbs.
8. One at a time, swap the leads from one pcb to the other, resolder, taking note that the swapped leads should be soldered similar to before, but now just wit hthe diffent centre wire colour.
9. neatly tuck the leads away so they don't interfere with trim adjustments.
10. Put it all back together.
11.Test the radio carefully with your heli tied down, or being firmly held before trusting it.
12. Retrim your heli as if you only just got it.

Enjoy mode 2.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:32 AM   #4
jaskel

thanks m8, nice job.,..but i actually did the mod a few weeks ago...it was fairly easy
Old 12-17-2006, 11:37 AM   #5
Actionman22

no worries m8, i was looking for info on how to do it yesterday, but turned out easier to just go for it, fairly basic after all.
how's your twister bell going?, i'm having a few issues with unwanted yaw, even at full trim its still slowly rotating the same way, i need to "re-center" the yaw somehow.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:43 AM   #6
jaskel

nah mine is pretty sweet...just needs a new main shaft...stupid wind

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters