Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

B-47 8.77th (1:8.7669) Scale, Boeing Stratojet Component Assembly

Old 01-15-2019, 01:03 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

She is a tolerant woman to let you play it so many times.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:28 AM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Default Boxed Until Next Thanksgiving

Well, its boxed and going to the storage unit for nine months... :^( I had the Dickens
getting it back in the box...as thought it didn't want to go... Like they say...keep'em
wanting more...Looking forward to listening maybe four times next year...
Old 01-31-2019, 01:48 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Default CG & Wing Pre-load Affirmation

Back on track...

Because documentation is so scarce for the B-47 due to records being destroyed by being burnt
at all B-47 contractor locations for manufacture, servicing, and maintenance as a result of security
during the high point of the Cold War...it has taken nearly 10 years to find technical resources for
this project. Something of this magnitude can not be achieved with supposition. There are too many
loose ends.

Early on I referred to this as herding cats.

This morning I discovered resources in support of the CG location calculated. Using online calculators
has always been something of an accuracy issue for a normal aka regular r/c model...the value of the
B-47 collaborative resources leaves me just a wee paranoid. I have questioned everyone who has had
the fortunate task where their CG was located as well as reviewing the engineered drawings obtained.

This video exemplifies the severe consequences of both wing pre-load and CG. The easy answer for
the CG is "seen" in the wind tunnel tethered B-47. Consequence of unloaded or under-loaded wings
is graphically illustrated as well.

Click
to watch archival footage of Boeing wind tunnel testing of the B-47.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	WindTunCG.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	359.7 KB
ID:	187345  
Old 03-04-2019, 08:51 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Default B-47 Canopy & Cockpit Coming Right Along

The Boeing B-47 Stratojet's canopy is the same as the two place T-33. With one exception... The B-47 canopy has an extension beyond the third overhead frame member. See red arrow.

Unlike the B-47 the T-33 has its rear section split with the hinge mechanics within it.

While the Bob Violett T-33's canopy is the exact size for my B-47...I need to add this extension to it to match the B-47's. The choice I made was to purchase an aerobatic canopy and trim off rear portion of its canopy to add onto the rear of the T-33 canopy.

While this is pretty straight forward...I need to glue the two together beneath B-47'S overhead rear cross member. This sounds pretty simple doesn't it . However, the B-47 canopy moves to the rear about one inch as its front rises two inches for ventilation.

The motion to achieve this is from an attachment to the canopy rear...attached to the add on section.... This is going to have to endure a fair amount of stress/vibration when it is down and latched as well during its rearward motion.

Can someone make a recommendation which adhesive will adhere to the appended clear canopy joint and overhead frame member and not suffer the consequence of vibration? Remember it is pulling the entire canopy over a lift point located 1/3 down the length of the 24" long canopy.

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 03-04-2019 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:08 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

Would a thin line of Goop work?
Old 03-04-2019, 11:32 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Default Altering B-47~BVM T-33 Canopies

Originally Posted by Don Sims View Post
Would a thin line of Goop work?
Don,

Therein lies the issue. The simple fix would be Goop if it were not for the fact both the front and rear
canopy "ends" rise as the canopy is moved rearward. I am afraid Goop will not be strong enough to
keep the front and rear adhered as a unit set. Hope someone can advise what to use.
.................................................. ..

Name:	B-47_Canopy_Move.gif
Views:	121
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	187401  

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 03-04-2019 at 11:50 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:19 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Getting there...doing cockpit prototype this week-end-week...

Name:	SideTemplateWcanopy.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	187425  
Old 05-12-2019, 04:27 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Under the heading of "Yes Virginia a model B-47 does fly... Ronnie Tribe believed and in the
end reaped the reward of successful flight of his scratch built 60" w/s B-47 with six EDF. I like
his battery storage method. Yes it might be a C/L project but the locomotion is proper.

Old 05-15-2019, 04:48 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Default Yaw~Dutch Roll

I constantly look for resource relative to dutch-roll as it has been an issue on every smooth skinned
115"~125" swept and straight wing 50's~60's bombers. Below is a rather interesting B-737-800 edf.
.................................................. ..................ClickPix2C

Dutch Roll is virtually continual during this flight. The turns are bit too tight though the wing has scale
swag... ;^)

Name:	Dutch_Roll.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	187474  
Old 05-15-2019, 10:02 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

Is it my screen or are those wings flexing a lot in flight?
Old 05-15-2019, 10:38 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Contrary to accepted convention Boeing in its infinite wisdom (800...) actually integrated a composite wing with all its wonder...flapping its way into the sky. However, as I made reference to, tight turns his model was making exceeded what I consider a proper amount of flex.

Not being one to know (as I refuse to ever fly on an 800) from a first hand experience...my trips in a 500 were all at night...I have often wondered if in reality what I would have felt like if I looked out over the wing and saw a flex as severe as that model's. I fly Southwest as often as I can. I plan to always check on the model of 737 is being used on a flight. My last flight I had a four hour delay...to assure I was not aboard an 800.

There are some never do's: Flying on any Tu~An aircraft, helicopters (unless its a life or death situation), other people's performance cars (they tend to try to impress riders with reckless driving) and single pilot (as in no co-pilot on board) aircraft. This morning it was stated Boeing failed to implement what it knew needed to be done to the 800's back in 2018. This due to the additional cost during price war with EADS. Ah...the wonder of flight.

The 800 is not on my fly list.

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 05-16-2019 at 12:32 PM.