New radio wanted - Futaba or Spectrum? - Page 3 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New radio wanted - Futaba or Spectrum?

Old 06-01-2017, 07:23 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Now days, most name brand RC radios are pretty good.
I hope Karl you are not trying to to influence away from some other known 'labels' .....

So, brand selection comes down to extra receiver pricing, out of warranty service and so on.
I agree that extra RX pricing is a very big factor given the model memory capabilities of todays radios. But the warranty service item is debatable as I consider a radio that fails as 'binnable' ..... do I really want to rely on a repaired faulty radio ? I have two as bench conversation pieces today ... one a very expensive JR and the other a Futaba.

For Spektrum, just about every transmitter they ever made is compatible with just about every receiver they made. That isn't true on some other brands. (The EU versions are DSMX only, due to the EU rules)
mmmmmm lets be honest Spektrum / JR / Futaba have cut out users in changing protocols .... you even quote yourself EU for Spektrum.

JR had a crystal set that was offset from others for years ... in the days befor 2.4 of course.

Futaba flip flopped about 2.4 leaving owners with obselete..

Spektrum finally being caught by EU ...

Funny ..... I don't see any of the 'budget' labels in trouble like this .........

mmmmmmmmmm

Nigel
Old 06-01-2017, 07:51 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Taranis ..........................

$ for $ ......... ??

You can fit Spektrum ... Futaba ..... FrSky ..... literally cover the brands modules by plugging in ....

What other radio gives so much compatibility ....

Nigel
Old 06-01-2017, 07:56 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I hope Karl you are not trying to to influence away from some other known 'labels' .....

I agree that extra RX pricing is a very big factor given the model memory capabilities of todays radios. But the warranty service item is debatable as I consider a radio that fails as 'binnable' ..... do I really want to rely on a repaired faulty radio ? I have two as bench conversation pieces today ... one a very expensive JR and the other a Futaba.

mmmmmm lets be honest Spektrum / JR / Futaba have cut out users in changing protocols .... you even quote yourself EU for Spektrum.

JR had a crystal set that was offset from others for years ... in the days befor 2.4 of course.

Futaba flip flopped about 2.4 leaving owners with obselete..

Spektrum finally being caught by EU ...

Funny ..... I don't see any of the 'budget' labels in trouble like this .........

mmmmmmmmmm

Nigel

Here in the USA, Spektrum is known for replacing a dumb thumbs crashed receiver with a brand new unit. N/C.

Last year, fellow club member bought a used Spektrum transmitter some 8 years old. The aileron joystick had slight jitters. Spicke repaired it, again, N/C.

As for EU, didn't the EU change the rules long after the Spektrum systems hit the market? And some RC suppliers came on the market after the EU rules were changed? In the USA, every Spektrum transmitter made in the past 8 or 10 years is compatible with every Spektrum receiver made in the same time period.

At any rate IMHO, the best RC system is what your fellow RC'rs are using. And that varies on which part of the world the RC pilot is located.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:03 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Kyle ..... unfortunately HH is not quite the same across the water in EU ......

With great respect ..... one of the problems of internet forums is forgetting how "International" they are ....

Nigel
Old 06-01-2017, 08:11 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Kyle ..... unfortunately HH is not quite the same across the water in EU ......

With great respect ..... one of the problems of internet forums is forgetting how "International" they are ....

Nigel
Yup, agreed.Read the last paragraph of my last posting.

FYI, I go back to the days when the mean time between failure of the RC system was about 50 flights.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:13 PM
Stay Quiet

Please don't get me wrong, I still think the Spectrum is a nice, capable unit. It's just that after my wife ordered it, I went to their website to see if I could download a manual and read up on how to set things up beforehand. Lo and behold, it's not there! The chat window popped up, and I asked if it were still available. At first, I was told that it wasn't available, but hadn't been discontinued. It was just that the newer Gen 3 models with the telemetry receivers were replacing them. (Doesn't that make them discontinued?) Then I found a page for the Gen2 DX6 - screenshot below. Looks discontinued to me. At that point I was asked if I wanted to place an order for the new Gen3 radio! I informed the rep that I wanted to be sure we got a full refund on the current order first. I don't think he liked that, and disconnected from chat.
So, I went to Tower Hobbies and ordered the Futaba. :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Capture.JPG (88.7 KB, 192 views)
Old 06-01-2017, 08:38 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Stay Quiet View Post
Please don't get me wrong, I still think the Spectrum is a nice, capable unit. It's just that after my wife ordered it, I went to their website to see if I could download a manual and read up on how to set things up beforehand. Lo and behold, it's not there! The chat window popped up, and I asked if it were still available. At first, I was told that it wasn't available, but hadn't been discontinued. It was just that the newer Gen 3 models with the telemetry receivers were replacing them. (Doesn't that make them discontinued?) Then I found a page for the Gen2 DX6 - screenshot below. Looks discontinued to me. At that point I was asked if I wanted to place an order for the new Gen3 radio! I informed the rep that I wanted to be sure we got a full refund on the current order first. I don't think he liked that, and disconnected from chat.
So, I went to Tower Hobbies and ordered the Futaba. :-)
Really sorry to hear that ...... considering all the 'pro' Spektrum posts ....

Nigel
Old 06-01-2017, 08:51 PM
Stay Quiet

Really sorry to hear that ...... considering all the 'pro' Spektrum posts ....

Nigel
Well, my first post described my first experience with a Spektrum radio. I think I was trying to reassure myself a bit.

I've used Futaba exclusively with the exception of that one time, so I don't feel sorry for buying another. They've always been solid performers, and I've never had a failure. I'm also comfortable with their programming, although the new S-Bus system is going to take some study!

Now, what do I want for telemetry sensors? So many choices! :-)
Old 06-06-2017, 09:14 PM
AndyKunz
Spektrum Dev Team

Originally Posted by Stay Quiet View Post
I have the feeling they were just clearing out their old stock. They had to know the Gen 2's were about to be discontinued, and should have at the very least reduced the price.
We haven't sold a G2 in about a year. They've been G3 for a long time now. There are very few in new stock at retailers, too.

And yes, we did talk about the update. The only change is that an EU user would now have access to 11ms operation. In the US they are unchanged except for the dual antenna.

You can easily tell the difference by looking at the FCC label on the back. SPM6700 is G2, SPM6750 is G3.

Andy
Old 06-06-2017, 11:28 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Thanks Andy........!
Old 06-07-2017, 01:06 AM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Gotta toss my $.02 in. I've been a Futaba 72 MHz user/fan for well over 30 years. Got forced kicking and screaming into 2.4ghz many years back because of 72 MHz frequency conflicts with a nearby heli club. I got the Spektrum DM8 module for my Futaba 9CAP. It worked fine. Always looking to try something new I bought a Taranis when it first came out because of all the cool functions. All those cool functions require you to adopt the bloody thing as a whole new hobby to learn the less than intuitive programming. I had it for less than two weeks before I put it up for sale. There's a reason you see them for sale all the time now. Setting them up SUCKS compared to Futaba or Spektrum! Be prepared to study the manual for hours just to add a freaking model. I hated that blasted TX!

When I saw the DX6 G2 and all the features it has for a great price I had to give it a try. It's a breeze to setup and if you have any Horizon Hobby planes or helis chances are very good the setup files for that plane are on the website. The DX6 has become my dedicated 2.4ghz TX. My 15 year old Futaba 9CAP is my dedicated 72 MHz TX. If the DX6 could do 72 MHz it would be giving my 9CAP a good run for top 72mhz position.

When I first looked into 2.4ghz it was a no brainer. Futaba was in the stratosphere for RX prices. Spektrum was the most reasonable during the early 2.4ghz days. They got my money. I've become almost as attached to my DX6 as I am to my beloved 9 CAP.....

Joe
Old 06-07-2017, 01:29 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

Ditto Turbojoe

My Taranis is only used if I need more than 6 channels now. All new planes go on my DX6.
It talks like the Taranis and mixing and setting up without a computer is a breeze.
Someone needs to put a DX6 program into the Taranis.... (still wouldn't be as good a TX but it would help)
((now there is an idea for some smart geek))
Old 06-07-2017, 01:36 AM
AndyKunz
Spektrum Dev Team

Why??!?! The DX6 hardware is better (I'm biased, yes), the DX6 Service and Support guys are great.

Andy
Old 06-07-2017, 02:19 AM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
the DX6 Service and Support guys are great.
Andy
I'll give a big thumbs up to that!

Joe
Old 06-07-2017, 10:11 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Why??!?! The DX6 hardware is better (I'm biased, yes), the DX6 Service and Support guys are great.

Andy
Oh yes, so true, in fact the Taranis seems junky after using the DX6 but it would be a cheap option for a 16 Ch Tx. LOL
Old 06-07-2017, 10:42 AM
Stay Quiet

Still wading through the new Futaba manual. I swapped out the Rx in the RCM Trainer and spent some time getting everything set up (servo reversing where needed, endpoints, expo, dual rates, etc.) Got temporarily stumped getting the flaps working properly on a three position switch until I realized I had selected the wrong model setup. DOH! Made that correction and it's fine. I was able to remove the servo slower module for the flaps as well, since the speed can now be controlled via the radio. It's quite a step up from my older Tx. No regrets on my decision.

Now, if Horizon will finally get around to issuing refunds for the radio and receiver I returned (USPS shows they arrived Monday) I can order another Rx, and maybe some telemetry sensors!