Crash and Safety Forum Punch something in lately? Have safety suggestions? Tell the story, share safety tips, and show the pictures here.

Safety for electric planes and indoor event

Old 10-24-2016, 01:49 PM
smking0656
Steve

Default Safety for electric planes and indoor event

Does anyone have a list of safety guidelines or suggestions pertaining to electric planes? Also looking for guidelines for setting up an indoor electric event.

Thanks Steve
Old 10-24-2016, 04:01 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Steve,

Are you looking to sanction the event? Fun-fly ? Regardless, you might to go to the AMA website and download the Safety code, etc.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:35 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Standard AMA safety stuff and my big thing in doing one is determining the size of the space we are flying in and limiting the size to what seems appropriate (judgement call for sure)

Our first one we did in Virginia was in a place that covered 4 basketball courts, 2 end to end and 2 side by side. We thought we had all the room in the world until a guy showed up with a 400 sized heli. We realized right away we needed to set a size limit after that.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:41 PM
smking0656
Steve

Thanks guys for the feedback. It will be sanction and Fun-fly events. I have not seen the gym yet so I don't know how much room we have. Placing a limit on the size of the vehicles is a good idea. And the number allowed in the air at one time.

Steve
Old 10-24-2016, 06:16 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

If you are in a Gym then give serious consideration to potential damage to the Gym. While even big helis can fly in small spaces, if they get a little out of line they can do significant damage to the floor and even the walls. A cut in a Gym floor can be difficult to fix.

Consider the potential for injury to others. In a Gym you have limited space to get away from an out of control anything. So size and weight limits can help make an accidental hit with a person less damaging.

You might, for example, place a 6 ounce limit on all models. Not saying that is the right number, just using it as an example.

Will you have a hard flight line or will people be able to go wherever they want around the walls? I have seen both done. Gets a bit crazy when people are all over the gym.

Will you have a netted off area as we often see at RC shows so out of control aircraft can't get to the spectators?

What about charging? Will they have access to wall outlets? Can you provide power strips? Or do they need to bring their own battery to power their charger?

Just a few considerations.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:29 PM
smking0656
Steve

Thanks AEAJR, These are the kinds of issues I wanted to hear. We are intending to run it just like an outside event with flight line and spectator marked off area. Also limit size and number of vehicles in the air at one time. I haven't seen the gym yet so not sure about the floor but that's a good point.

Steve
Old 10-24-2016, 07:52 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool

Originally Posted by smking0656 View Post
Thanks AEAJR, These are the kinds of issues I wanted to hear. We are intending to run it just like an outside event with flight line and spectator marked off area. Also limit size and number of vehicles in the air at one time. I haven't seen the gym yet so not sure about the floor but that's a good point.

Steve
How will you limit the number of pilots in the room? What about spectators? If I show up as one pilot and have 3 friends with me, can they fly my plane?

Do you have a place for people to sit? Can you use the bleachers? Should people bring chairs?

Do you have access to bathrooms?

How will you control the number of aircraft in the air? A number system like the bakery? Who is going to manage it?

Will the number be impacted by the type of aircraft? Points system?

* Micro helis = 1 ( under 2 oz)
* Micro planes = 2 (under 2 oz)
* Larger helis = 2
Larger Planes = 3

You going to weight them at the start of the night and assign points?

Ad up the points. No more than 12 points in the air at a time?

So, you could have 12 micro helis in the air at once but no more than 4 larger planes based on a point system.

Flight time limit? With some of the slow flyers and lipos getting more robust you could have someone in the air for 15 minutes or longer. How will you dole out flight time? 5 minute limit? 10 minute limit? No limit?

Never done this, just tossing out ideas. Again, someone needs to manage this. You don't want to turn this into a police state but you need to think about how you will control things, or if you just let it run free.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:26 PM
smking0656
Steve

AEAJR,

All good question that I will have to get answers for.

Steve
Old 10-24-2016, 09:36 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

If you AMA sanction it, then you need a CD. I don't see why you could not run this like an outdoor event. Limit the number of craft in the air at one time. Say 4. Establish a pattern. Keep spectators in safe area.