Crash and Safety Forum Punch something in lately? Have safety suggestions? Tell the story, share safety tips, and show the pictures here.

twilights last gleaming,blade 350qx dropped like a rock

Old 04-26-2015, 02:59 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

Default twilights last gleaming,blade 350qx dropped like a rock

flew the blade 350qx tonight to capture a beautiful sunset. a simple straight up and down. sadly,it is the end of the 350qx.

well,she's pretty banged up. in fact,she hit so hard pieces flew in a 25ft radious.seems i shouldn't have switched modes from agile to smart mode. i used agility to reach a nice height. hovered there till i saw the first blinking of battery usage and started to bring her down.....then i decided to switch modes and the blades stop dead around 50 ft up.

it hit a fence rail and crack!!!gopro flew off,fat shark fpv split up into its 3 components and went in different directions. it was getting dark so i search with a flashlight to find the micro camera. took all the pieces into the workshop and the fpv still works.[i wasn't using it during the flight.] the go pro silver3 was in its waterproof case and survived unscathed. if it had been in the blades simple camera holder the go pro would have been destroyed.

sadly i don't plan on replacing the blade any time soon. promised my darling wife this christmas after all these purchases for fpv'ing i wouldn't do any large purchase's. i just spent $40 dollars to upgrade the props to new motor prop mounts and 4 apc props. I really don't have a stable plane or wing to fly fpv with. most all my planes are balsa built and fly for aerobatics or scale flight ,not for wearing goggles while flying slowly around. grrrrrrr,what a bummer day to only get a little flying in and have it be a wreak one of my favorite part of this hobby for 2015........maybe next Christmas i'll by the pieces together a build of a new quad. yeah,thats the ticket!!,and a few months to figure out how to build a better 250 carbon fiber frame quad with gps,odd,rth kind of quad.

just waiting for youtube video to down load and i will post the final 2 flights from todays fun. life goes on,no ones hurt and it's all part of the fun.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:08 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

here the video............short and not sweet is this flight. so grab a small popcorn and soda,sit back and watch the carnage. i listened to the video and when the motor died there was a moment of silence and then 2 beeps. i wonder if i had the throttle advance by only a few clicks to arm the quad it turned its self off??? maybe i should have advanced the throttle many clicks to be sure there would be no chance of a shut down. to late now. if you go to the 3.58 minute point of the video you can replay the drop over and over and trouble shoot what i hear. any thoughts??? stu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlqFM2k6b2Q

Last edited by tobydogs; 04-26-2015 at 03:55 AM.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:40 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

that's a shame. Trouble with these 'clever' computerised systems is that they have the potential to do unpredictable things (like shutting down the motors in flight) if you get anything just slightly wrong.

As the old saying goes "To err is human but to REALLY screw-up requires a computer"

I hope the damage isn't as bad as you fear. Could all the electronics be used in another (cheaper) frame?
Old 04-26-2015, 01:49 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

thanks JPF,

i plan on fixing it as a friend here at watt flyer is sending a body and lg part he doesn't need,it really is the only reason i will take on the project and will wait to transfer all the pc's when it arrives since i don't want a basket case sitting on the table where i forget how it should go together.

if she does go back in the air i will fly it many times only a few ft off the ground and hope the electronics are still ok. it took such a hard hit though,so i figure it's more of an experiment to teach me internal components of a quad.

if anything,i will build a kit 250 quad next year around christmas time:roll eyes:.... when i usually build something and call it a gift. my wife and i are trying to cut back on spending on stuff we don't need so my hobby purchases have to take a back seat. way to much stuff in the hanger

will be going flying today with planes and hope i don't crash anything else or it'll be the costliest weekend in the hobby ever.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:35 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Stu,
my uneducated guess is that it lost signal(brown out) Was your antenna from you Tx pointed up? Those beeps, and I ill have to check the manual to be sure sound like to me the signal loss.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:04 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Usually on signal loss these things return safely to take off point.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:32 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Usually on signal loss these things return safely to take off point.
I agree but on 350Qx you have to hit return to home switch. Which I believe is the flap switch. Also with transmitter loss (vehicle control. not fpv transmitter) It would not know you switched to return to home. Again Ill have to check the manual it has been a while since I flew my 350qx.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:35 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

I just returned from the field from a great day flying planes and no crashes,i talked to my buds at the heli field about what i thought happened and they seem to agree. the only reason for the motors to stop is when you throttle trim down and power cuts the motors.

when i empty the car and take everything down to the basement i will have to take the blades transmitter out and see where i left the throttle trim setting after arming the motors. i have a feeling i only went one beep up from the mid point to arm the props and get them spinning. when i was descending in smart mode i had the throttle all the way down and i wonder if it cut off on its own as it switch modes from agility to smart mode....like JPF said,computers can do unexpected things and totally screw us.

dang,i wish i had taken my shark goggles to the field. 3 guys flying 6 different quads fpv. i could have tagged along sitting in a chair and seen their flights. next time.

anyway...it's time to down load the keychain hat cam vids and see if theres anything worth posting,i really just banged the sticks to help unwind from yesterdays mishap and i must say it was exactly what was needed.