Crash and Safety Forum Punch something in lately? Have safety suggestions? Tell the story, share safety tips, and show the pictures here.

Anyone have an Extreme Flight Laser? I need a little help.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:22 AM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Question Anyone have an Extreme Flight Laser? I need a little help.

A friend of mine gave me an Extreme Flight Laser, just shortly after he smashed it into the ground. He is a good pilot but didn't check everything out before flight. Doing a high speed 45 degree down-line, he tried to pull out at 20' and suddenly found out the bolt connecting the elevator pushrod and the control horn, had bailed out.

If possible I would like to get some pictures of the plywood structure from the end of the fuselage sides forward, this area was blown to small toothpicks. I don't have anything to even tack together for a pattern. The firewall went into 8-10 pieces.

I am a good repair guy, but it would be so much simpler if I had a better idea how it was built. The pictures would be great if they had a ruler laid on the area in question.

Just having the distance from the end of the fuse sides to the front face of the motor mount would help my designing.

If you can help, please PM me and I could send you a picture of my mess, then you would understand what I need.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:10 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Note there are a couple of sizes... this is the 60
http://extremeflightrc.com/assets/im...EXP_MANUAL.pdf

Not sure if you can get the views you need from it... but they have their assembly manuals online which do have some photos of the structure in question.

Extreme Flight was good about giving me the needed measurements to rebuild the engine mount box structure on the 88 inch Yak 54 when I broke that one.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:11 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Mine is in the 48" Laser.
I have their assembly manual, but it only gives a couple of pictures of the motor box, and those are from an angle, which make it more difficult to build from.

I didn't think they would bother with rebuild problems, so I didn't try to contact them. I will send them an email, maybe that will help.

Thanks

One thing that disappoints me; The broken pieces of the battery area forward to the motor mount show me that the glue used in construction, did not bond real well in places where the edge of plywood was glued to the face of plywood. The joints in some areas, just came apart with no damage to the face of the plywood. A good bond should have torn the face off.

I think to speed construction, they are using a fast setting glue of some kind, and it is not penetrating into the wood fibers before curing. That is why I only use 5 minute epoxy on foam planes, it won't penetrate either. I really miss the old Pettit #2 epoxy, it took 2 hours to cure, but the joints were almost welded together.

Last edited by Wildflyer; 11-20-2015 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:03 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

"The broken pieces of the battery area forward to the motor mount show me that the glue used in construction, did not bond real well in places where the edge of plywood was glued to the face of plywood. The joints in some areas, just came apart with no damage to the face of the plywood. A good bond should have torn the face off"

That's Chinese factorys glue ... and it's evident in most models as you know. Reason we run CA or Epoxy around joints etc. to try and provide a better joint.

Nigel
Old 11-20-2015, 08:52 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Yep.. ARF hot glue.

You can get a heat gun and take an ARF apart.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:06 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

I have one but I'm away from home over the weekend. I get back late on Monday so can easy take some photos on Tuesday and send them or post here.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:40 AM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

I found a friend in my local club that has a 48" Laser, so I have all the info I need. I didn't know anyone else around here had one, but the hobby shop guy told me he did.

Thank you for your offer JetPlaneFlyer

I will post pictures of my rebuild.