Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-29-2018, 07:31 PM   #1
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)
Cool New Pilots - How can we best help you to be successful?

Electric flying has become lower in cost and the aircraft get more capable every year. But the pilot is still the key element in the system.

So, new pilots, how can we help you to be successful? What do you want to know that you don't know, or what can we help you find that you can't find?

Anything at all. The door is open. Ask away!

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 08-02-2018, 02:33 PM   #2
Stay Quiet

Friends: (0)

The response is underwhelming. :-(

What goes up, must come down. The trick is to keep it in one piece.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:37 PM   #3
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Friends: (12)

Originally Posted by Stay Quiet View Post
The response is underwhelming. :-(
That's a shame too.

The biggest problem I see is that someone that is curious about R/C goes to the LHS and walks out with an already assembled aircraft. Charge the batteries and go fly. They've seen these things fly before. It can't be THAT hard to do.

They throw away the manual as soon as they see it then fight trying to figure out how to bind the RX to the TX. Don't know about throttle calibration so can't figure out why it just sits there beeping and the motor won't run. Don't know about control checks so if they get it running they take off with reversed ailerons and/or elevator. They gather up the debris and drop it all in the nearest trash can never to be seen in the hobby again. I've seen and heard it too many times in the past.

I have to admit that there are some nice looking bARF's out there now but I'm not interested. I prefer to build so I know every little nook and cranny of that bird. I know everything about the electronics I chose and installed. I know it doesn't have some weird connector on the ESC that I either have to buy an adapter for or buy a battery/charger that works ONLY in that plane because the electronics were the cheapest marginal quality parts they could produce. Good luck finding replacement servo gears for that dirt cheap bARF that some 8 year old girl in China built for you and got paid $5.00 for that days work.

No matter how much we offer to help instant gratification will win out every time. It saddens me but it looks like us builders really are dinosaurs of the hobby world.

Joe

The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....
Old 08-02-2018, 05:20 PM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (19)

It needs an effort to get Shops / Retailers to direct newcomers to forums like this. Its fast changed from the days everyone was pointed at local club ... based on buying kit from LHS .. people in the LHS usually were members of the local club ... job done.

But now distant selling / online ... no more personal contact ... no recc'd club / forum ... newcomer is oblivious to it all.
Only if they see a display and get interested will they find out about help. Otherwise its seeing the Youtube videos or models online .... with no info to help.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 08-02-2018, 09:38 PM   #5
formontoya

Friends: (0)

Well, I can say that a lot of times I see some ask questions and they get ridiculed and harassed then told to search better. I can say that I've seen it here as well.

This thread is actually one of the few where someone offered to help with a "no question is too stupid" type of attitude.

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius, and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
Old 08-03-2018, 08:00 AM   #6
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (19)

I agree that various forums do have the 'go and search' mentality displayed at times ... but WF I think is one of the few that happens very rarely. I know one particular guy who was prevalent for this has lessened his input !

I think that often when someone does post ; Read the manual .... Go and google search ... etc. - they do not mean to be rude. Internet posting is one of those arenas that gets out of whack quite often.

WF I regard as one of the best sites for lack of hostility ... lets keep it that way.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 08-04-2018, 06:28 AM   #7
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)

Forums do not display attitudes, individuals do.

I offered assistance. It appears no one requires that assistance. That is fine with me. The offer stands.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners