New Product Announcements Vendors post their latest and greatest products here to let the world know about them

Beacon Foam-Tac Glue

Old 03-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Billbo1970
RC Entrepreneur

Originally Posted by rcsuperhero View Post
Hi Im getting foam-tac from www.rcfoam.com
along with a bunch of other stuff -I recommend it to all my rcsuperhero owners that buy the Rcsuperhero kits and plans.
I noticed some people having trouble (make sure its NOT Beacon 3 in 1 glue-it can and will burn holes in your foam!) w/ the foam tac glue.Like any glue it can be used improperly-I only use this glue to laminate two SHEETS of materials together -like contact cement-use a very thin layer on both parts to be joined. Now if I need a butt joint or Huge strength in a small area I use a low temp hot glue gun (this is at least half of how I build my planes.
Why aren't you using it for butt joints? It works fantastic for that, and as far as strength goes... once fully cured, if you try to rip apart at the join you will only succeed in creating a new tear elsewhere in the foam. Take a look at the demonstration video on the product page of my website:

Foam-Tac

Also, why are you buying from RC Foam? Their shipping is very high.

Bill
Old 03-02-2011, 02:36 AM
neilgaede

Default Looks like FOAM-TAC to me.

Don't know what to tell you. Here is the bottle I got. It looks like Beacon Foam-Tac to me.

Personally I think I'll stick to CA from here on.

Now if I can only figure out how to glue in my hinges without getting any on the knuckle...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Image00003.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	144126   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image00004.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	144127  
Old 03-02-2011, 08:04 AM
neilgaede

Yes, from e-bay.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:19 PM
Billbo1970
RC Entrepreneur

Neil,

Contact Beacon, I'm sure they would want to know about this. Give me a call or an email and I'll provide you with the direct phone number & email address for my sales rep there. Also, send me the pieces and I'll see what I can do to fix it up for you.

Bill
Old 03-02-2011, 12:20 PM
Billbo1970
RC Entrepreneur

Originally Posted by Gohmer View Post
Did you buy it from filadelfosrc.com?

Man... you really do go out of your way to dig into me don't you? I don't manufacture the glue buddy, I only sell it.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:46 AM
FrankMarten
Banned

Nice product and i want to use it .
Old 03-03-2011, 12:51 PM
jungmann1
electron deficient

Good product, using my first bottle right now. Also works good on carbon fiber and decent on wood, too. Have had a bit of problem with melting, too, but I think it is due to using too much glue rather than a bad product. So far, haven't had a glue joint fail.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Billbo1970
RC Entrepreneur

Originally Posted by jungmann1 View Post
Good product, using my first bottle right now. Also works good on carbon fiber and decent on wood, too. Have had a bit of problem with melting, too, but I think it is due to using too much glue rather than a bad product. So far, haven't had a glue joint fail.
I think some people may be too used to using epoxies. Foam-Tac requires VERY LITTLE GLUE. If you're using enough glue to have it seep out the sides of your join, then this is WAY too much. You need a very thin layer of this glue and the bond is permanent after full cure (24 hrs).

LESS IS MORE - Always dries clear, simply apply a thin amount of FOAM-TAC to one side of the joint and gently press together. Pull the joint apart then press together again. Thatís it. You donít have to wait for the glue to get tacky.

Beacon & the bottle instructions say it takes 10-20 minutes to form a strong bond, but in my experience it happens in as few as 5 minutes
(assuming it's not overly humid).

Bill
Old 03-03-2011, 01:08 PM
Billbo1970
RC Entrepreneur

Originally Posted by neilgaede View Post
Don't know what to tell you. Here is the bottle I got. It looks like Beacon Foam-Tac to me.

Personally I think I'll stick to CA from here on.

Now if I can only figure out how to glue in my hinges without getting any on the knuckle...

Neil,

Have you contacted Beacon? To date, I have sold almost 700 bottles, and this is still the only instance I've heard of this happening. If I get more reports of this happening, then we can make a case that something happened at the factory and I can gather everyones information to take to Beacon to see about recompensation.

At this point in time, I have to assume that it's something about the way you used the glue. I notice you mention that you taped over the joint, is it possible the adhesive on the tape had a reaction with the not-yet-cured glue? Did 24 hrs pass before you applied this tape?

How much glue did you use? If you used a lot like with an epoxy, then this is way too much. Let me know what Beacon has to say about the matter, and if you need me to I can conference call them with you.

Bill
Old 03-03-2011, 05:40 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

I'm in agreement with Bill here. This glue should only be used as a contact cement, not for stuff like wing spars and such that need a lot of adhesive.

I've used Beacon products on depron and EPS, and it works great, when used properly.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:05 AM
jungmann1
electron deficient

The instructions for use are pretty misleading. I originally bought the glue for my son, who is really into foamies, because I was tired of spending a ridiculous amount of money for an ounce of foam-safe CA. Because of the rather weird instructions, he didn't want anything to do with the glue; he thought he was going to have to leave each joint open for twenty minutes before joining the parts and then 24 hours before being able to handle it and go on with his construction. And, honestly, that is just about what I got out of their instructions, too. You really have to just jump in and start experimenting with it to see what it can really do. I can't really agree with Pat about it's use on wing spars. We have used it just fine on carbon spars and similar joints. You don't want to gob on extra adhesive here, either. Only the adhesive that is directly in contact with the two parts is doing any good; all the rest is just acting as filler and adding unnecessary weight. John.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:34 AM
Billbo1970
RC Entrepreneur

I have to agree about the instructions. They aren't very good, which is why I post my own instructions both on my website & on the e-bay listing. You really can't go wrong with using this glue in any manner, other than gobbing on way too much.

Not really sure what's going on with Neil & his earlier post. I personally haven't had it melt ANY kind of foam, even when using an excessive amount to mess around with it in testing.

Bill
Old 03-04-2011, 08:01 AM
maverickma

I had a slight melting issue tonight when I used too much. If u use it sparingly it works well. I figured it out quickly once I saw.the squishy foam. I realized it was where I laid a 2nd bead of the glue on top of the original bead. Oops. Lesson learned. Must put too much of whatever disappears while the glue is curing on the foam or creates too much heat if its similar to epoxy.

Either way.....user error.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:14 PM
Billbo1970
RC Entrepreneur

The glue is still selling extremely well, and I've only heard of one other instance of this happening. I've been working directly with the chemists over at Beacon to determine why this is happening (to date, still only 2 instances that I or Beacon have heard about).

The other reported instance was over at RC Groups, and the poster has been providing a lot of valuable feedback both in the forum & over the phone w/myself & Beacon. The problem, quoted from the actual chemists at Beacon: "When you use too much Foam-Tac it is saturating the foam and softening it, not actually eating or melting it. It seems some people are using much more of the product than what is intended."

In other words: There's nothing wrong with the glue, too much of ANYTHING is not good, let alone a solvent based glue. Further, if you tape or apply decals over the glue too soon, the solvents will flash off too slowly and this could potentially cause a problem.

Here is an excellent video that was recorded by a customer on how he uses Foam-Tac on Depron.

Here is another VERY short video sent by a customer, showing how he uses Foam-Tac to glue on the control surfaces Foam-Tac Hinges

On another note, I've worked on my shipping calculations in PayPal, and now 1~4 bottles will all ship at the low price of $2.99! FOAM-TAC

Off topic, but please forgive me just this once...
I am now an authorized vendor for Thunder Power Batteries!

Bill
Old 05-26-2011, 06:27 AM
stoney7713

I posted my experience with Beacon Foam Tac about a year ago. I loved it and worked great once you learn not to glob it on.

I noted that I work in a manufacturing facility that uses many different solvents and it had an ever so slight smell of one. I couldn't pinpoint which type though. Also it did eat blue core foam if applied to heavily.

#1 It will eat, or leave a dimple in the foam if appled directly to blue cor or depron foam if applied heavily.

#2 I did also report I built an entire depron foamy using nothing but Foam Tac, used sparingly, except the firewall, I used epoxy.

#3 I recently tested the Beacon Foam Tac against Beacon 3 in 1, the 3 in 1 will eat your foam, unless you allow it to breath and evaporate the solvent off.

#4 The test was on depron foam laminatied together, I put the both glues directly on the 2 seperate pieces of depron to laminate 2 seperate pieces together, spreading the glue thin. I touched the parts together 3 times each then pressed them together and left them for 45 mins.

Result, about the same, the Foam Tac did seem to set up faster, and held better. Once I peepled the pieces apart you could see where both had melted the foam a bit.

Overall, I prefer the Foam Tac, as do my friends, less worry about eating the foam if applied incorrectly, stronger bond, but there is still room for improvement.

Where's the MSDS sheet for the Beacon Foam Tac?

If I need to thin it, it tacks quickly, somestimes to quickly if trying to attach 2 large pieces of foam, what can be used?

These are my personal experiences, others may vary, I still have and prefer the Foam Tac over the 3 in 1. Down to my last bottle and will be ordering more soon.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Billbo1970
RC Entrepreneur

Foam-Tac is still a really great selling item, and to date I've still only heard of 3 cases of the glue attacking foam. In all cases it was due to either the person using too much glue, or covering over it with decals before it cures (thus preventing the solvents from evaporating).

I've been able to get the shipping down to $2.99, and you can order up to 4 bottles & still pay only $2.99. Once you factor in the shipping, nobody can beat my price.

I work directly with Beacon adhesives, in fact I'm working with them now to update the product packaging: better instructions, actual photos, etc.

I always have FRESH stock on this product, I order it by the gross every 2~3 months once I'm down to 24 bottles in inventory. It only takes me a day to receive it, but I've had mass orders come in all at onece in the past. I don't ever want to be without any stock... it's my best seller!

http://www.filadelfosrc.com/index.ph...id=146:foamtac

Bill