Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Ultrafly Furious 3D

Old 06-23-2008, 02:55 PM
iFLYrc_Vic

Default Ultrafly Furious 3D

I got this plane from a friend on a trade. He got it from Tower hobbies "Scratch and Dent" because it was missing all of the hardware. I can fabricate most of the hardware required (piano wire and such) but I would like to get the original hardware for this model. Tower has discontinued this model.

Anyone know where I can get the hardware, a recked model, OR a cheap model (NIB)?

Thanks,
Vic
Old 06-24-2008, 03:06 AM
Ribcracker
Flight Junkie

I looked my Furious over and it appears that the hardware is just ordinary stuff that you can get from Dubro and others. Pretty straight forward...control horns, pushrods, easy connectors, etc. And unless you're flying off pavement, you won't need or want landing gear.
The Furious flies just like a profile foamy, better actually, because the full fuse stiffens it. So to launch, just hold it out in front of you, point it at the sky, goose the throttle and let it go. Thrills and chills!
I think you'll love it.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:25 AM
Kosh
Super Contributor

Tower has discontinued this model for good reason, Ultrafly discontinued many of there planes over a year ago. Theres nothing special included in the kit your missing that cant be found in most hobby stores. As noted above ditch the landing gear and it flies better all around.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:56 PM
Ribcracker
Flight Junkie

Vic,
When Kosh says Tower discontinued it for good reason, it's because Ultrafly quit manufacturing it. It's not because something was "wrong" with the plane. As with most model planes, when sales start to drop off the manufacturer pulls it and releases something else.
The Furious was a great flyer. You're lucky you got your hands on one. There are a lot of discontinued planes that I pine for. Believe me, you'll like the Furious. It's a good'n.
Peace,
Bud
Old 06-27-2008, 11:22 PM
iFLYrc_Vic

Originally Posted by Ribcracker View Post
Vic,
When Kosh says Tower discontinued it for good reason, it's because Ultrafly quit manufacturing it. It's not because something was "wrong" with the plane. As with most model planes, when sales start to drop off the manufacturer pulls it and releases something else.
The Furious was a great flyer. You're lucky you got your hands on one. There are a lot of discontinued planes that I pine for. Believe me, you'll like the Furious. It's a good'n.
Peace,
Bud
I guy on another board had one for sale - NIB complete kit for $29. I got it!
Old 01-21-2009, 03:32 AM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

I am going to get one this weekend from hobby people. they are $42, they still have it. I will use a 480 outrunner for it. does this plane fly stable, or anything?
Old 01-21-2009, 07:14 AM
Kosh
Super Contributor

I'm afraid your going to be severely disappointed if you add that motor combo to the plane. Its just not the type plane were bigger is better, The flat 3mm wings flex under the all up weight of 10 ounces that the plane was designed for. Your setup would be closer to 20 ounces and make it a flying brick that limits what the plane can do. A smaller motor and battery is key to making this a fun all around plane.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:22 AM
Ben D wing

Benovisoff,
I have one of these too and I have carried out some basic mods to stiffen up the airframe. I have added 3mm x 1mm carbon strip to L/E & T/E of upper and lower wings, 1mm dia. carbon rod to brace the upper surface of the tailplaine to the rudder, and 1mm dia carbon rod cross bracing between the interplane strutts and the fuselage. The braces are glued to each otherb where they cross over and this is vital to increase the rigidity. This has stiffened up the structure to such a point that I can now do WOT snap rolls without the plane re-kitting itself!
My motor set up is an E-Pr0 2828-28 (1048Kv). This motor weighs 43g, turns a 9"x 4.7" APCe prop, draws 13.5 Amps (static) and has 145 Watts on a ThunderPower 1320mAh 3s LiPo. I use the supplied stick mount with a GWS plastic motor mount and with this motor the plane will go vertical OOS at hell of a rate!
This bipe is a great fun plane and mine is over a year old and still going strong. I have another, NIB up my attic, and that cost a mere 12 (about $18) because of stock clearance, what a bargain, how could I resist!
I can post pics of the mods I did if needed.

P.S.
I also strengthened the interplane struts with 3mm x 0.5mm carbon strip. I simply cut the struts in half (length ways) and used UHU Por to bond the pieces together.

Last edited by Ben D wing; 01-21-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:49 PM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

hmmm.... intersting. I do I have little motor from hobby city, but it might be just a little under powered. I could take that other one off your hands maybe I could use that with a 1300mah lipo from heads up, all I'm missing is a 20 amp esc. I might be looking at the little bigger ViVo, because it is twice the weight and size and may take a 480. If you are willing to part with it, being the outrage or furios, pm me. Also if any one has a 18-22 amp esc that can handle it too. All the little escs are bought out here and the only ones they are left on this site are 70ampers. The motor I have was 6 bucks, its the little pink and metallic one, 1060 outrunner. If you would look it up and tell me if it willl work I would be much obliged.