Cermark Lil Banshee Construction Question - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Cermark Lil Banshee Construction Question

Old 11-15-2008, 04:11 AM
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

Default Cermark Lil Banshee Construction Question

I'm in the middle of building my first kit plane. The Lil Banshee from Cermark. Where do I place the hinges for the ailerons? The elevator has pre cut slots in it for hinges, I find no such slots on the main wing or aileron.

Any help?
Old 11-15-2008, 04:35 AM
chuck

They should be there. if not, you can use an X-acto knife to make some. I've built 4 and they all had the slots pre-cut.

Good luck.

Chuck
Old 11-15-2008, 04:54 AM
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

Chuck, thanks. I was afraid that if I cut them in I'd weaken too much. Do you suggest using the supplied tape hinges or to use the small plastic ones?
Old 11-15-2008, 04:55 AM
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

Also, do I slot both the wing and the aileron? I assume so, but the aileron has the bevel edge on it.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:18 AM
chuck

Use the CA hinges they sent you. Before you cut any slots, look carefully for slots 1" in from the outside tip of the wing, next slot at 5-1/2" in from tip, next slot at 10" in from tip and last slot at 15"in from tip, or 1-1/5" out from the wing centerline.

If they're not there, you must slot both wing and ail. Make the slots at the measurements above.

Chuck
Old 11-15-2008, 05:16 PM
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

Chuck, thanks for your help.. I did actually find them. Not trained to see those little critters! The supplied hinges work great!

One last question where did you place the battery related to the CG. If you can be as specific as you can with that part of the set up that would be great! This is my first 3D plane of this type and it's a different world for me. I've been flying a T-28 for a long time and wanted to try this out.

Any suggestions are much appreciated!
Old 11-15-2008, 05:51 PM
chuck

OK, here's what you do.
Before you put the wing on, take your hobby knife and cut out a little material at the front lower part of the wing opening in the fuse, enough to slide a Velcro One Wrap through after the wing is installed. The battery I use is a TP 1320 Prolite. The battery mounts below on the fuse below the leading edge of the wing and the front edge of the battery is about 1/2 inch infront of the wing. Look at the picture note the arrow pointing at the cutout for the Velcro. In fact the front of the battery is just about at the landing gear wire. Yours wwill differ some depending on your equipment. Use the sticky Velcro and the strap to keep the battery on or it WILL fall off.

I also hated the cheesy nose motor mount, so I made my own out of some aluminum angle from Lowe's. Since I made mine, several of my FB's have also made their own, they work great.

My radio gear is 4 HS55 servos, Hitec Micro 05S rx, Hacker A20-20l motor, and Thunderbird 18 ESC.

Any more questions, shoot me a PM.

Chuck
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010009.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	83853  
Old 11-19-2008, 05:05 PM
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

OK, so on Monday morning I do a maiden flight with my Lil Banshee. First flight is great although flying this thing is like ice skates on Teflon! I remind myself I CAN fly it slow. Its a little nerve racking the first flight, but I land it like it's a little butterfly. Nice and easy.

Second fight... well I only had two flights that day so you might know where this is going.

I take off and it seems to be doing well. Then all of a sudden, I'm in crazy mode, it's zigging and I'm zagging.. It zags, and I zig. And then a tree sucks it right in!

Crash Report: I tore the right wing completely off! Broke the shaft and lost the prop and the spinner. My good ole flying buddy Mike, goes up the tree for me! What a guy! My wing is on the ground but the plane is perched perfectly on top of the tree.

I moan, I groan. It was such a pretty plane.

Tuesday: I decide to repair it. I strip off the monokote, and I work with some CA glue and some bass wood for repairs. I make a couple of parts that are broken beyond recognition.

But it seems to come together. I purchase some monokote and learn about applying that. Not too bad for my first job. I use an adapted soldering gun with a plate brazed to it for the small parts and my heat gun for the larger parts. It shrinks but not quite as tight as I'd like. An iron with a sock I'm told works better. Gotta watch that heat though.

Wednesday Morning: Test Flight. Take off the deck, hmmmm flies a little to the right, but it flies! Trim a little left into the aileron and then a little up elevator. Hey this thing flies and the wing stays put!

I fly one pretty long and slow flight, and then one more. It's lands again like a little butterfly!

In retrospect and though I hate to admit this. I believe the cause of the initial crash was due to a screw I left out on one of the linkage control arms. That was missing after the crash although the control arm and servo were in perfect condition. I doubt the screw would have pulled out like that without ripping more stuff with it.

In any case... it was human error and though I'd like to blame the mechanic, he's the same guy as the pilot in this case! So both of "them" bear the same weight!

This little thing flies like well, like I said like using ice skates on teflon!

Happy Day,
Old 11-21-2008, 05:36 AM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

Lost or loose control linkages kills more planes than dumb thumbs. Learn to check them every pre-flight inspection
Old 11-21-2008, 05:53 AM
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

Yeah, I learned that the hard way. But those lessons seem to stick the most.