Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Parkzone micro T28 wing replacement

Old 09-25-2011, 02:09 PM
JackM

Question Parkzone micro T28 wing replacement

I got a micro T28 and it flys very nicely but I crashed it behind a pine tree It is hard to fly when you can't see the plane I was surprised that the wing was damaged so badly. I have thumped other foamys much harder with no ill effects.

I am going to get a replacement wing but have seen videos showing issues in removing the wing.

Any pointers on how to do this and not tear up the plane worse

Jack
Old 09-26-2011, 07:00 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

If it's like the Champ, using double faced tape, toss it in the freezer for a bit.
Usually the wing will pop right off then.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:09 PM
bbqflyer

I have had this issue as well JackM. I've replaced my t28 wing a couple of times as well. It is held on by double sided tape, so as glacier girl stated, throw it in the freezer for a bit and it should peel off better. Make sure though that the replacement wing comes with replacement tape strips. I've gotten a wing both ways. These UMs can take quite a bit, but the wings and tail are pretty delicate and do need to be replaced if tore up too much.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:24 PM
JackM

Thanks guys! Into the deep freeze! Last foamy I buy. I really prefer balsa since it is so straight forward to repair.

Jack
Old 09-26-2011, 09:51 PM
JackM

Again, thanks for the freezer tip! I left the plane in the deep freeze for a couple of hours and was able to get the wing off w/o any damage to the fuse. Sure made a tough job simple!

Now I'm doing clean up and reassembly with the new wing.

Is the white goo holding the servo on the wing bath tub silicone?

Jack
Old 09-26-2011, 09:54 PM
bbqflyer

not sure. I've wondered that myself. It sure is plyable. I just you a hot glue gun on low or CA when I attach it to a new wing. Don't give up on foamys yet either. Balsa seems straight forward, but most foamies are a lot easier to repair and many times can be fixed in the field and be back to flying in short order. Believe me I know!
Old 09-26-2011, 10:17 PM
JackM

Balsa planes aren't that tough to fix!

I have a less than beautiful (lots of covering patches) Mini-Telemaster aileron trainer and it has been crunched many times while learning. Repair has been about as easy/fast as it gets! I totally crunched the cowl area and it took an evening to repair. A repair usually costs me less than $0.50 as compared to $17 for a wing including tax but not including gas and time to get it. For me, working with balsa and covering is pretty easy and fast with CA. I just can't get used to the foam thing.

I have a Herr Cloud Ranger with floats almost ready to cover. The guts from the mini-telemaster will be transfered to the Cloud Ranger.

When the T-28 finally bites the dust I will probably transfer the guts to a stick and tissue plane like one of the Dumas planes.

Jack
Old 09-27-2011, 10:39 AM
bbqflyer

When the t28 finally meets it's end, you should look at www.stevensaero.com as they have a bunch of balsa kits that are made for the guts of these ultra micro planes.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:25 PM
JackM

Originally Posted by bbqflyer View Post
When the t28 finally meets it's end, you should look at www.stevensaero.com as they have a bunch of balsa kits that are made for the guts of these ultra micro planes.
Stevens makes some very nice kits but are a bit more than my budget will accomodate. I wonder if plans are available? I was looking at Dumas Walnut scale and also just building from plans. I scratch build scale models and manufacture kits (not airplanes) so this sort of thing comes easy to me.

I attached the aileron servo last night with bath tub calk. will reassemble the t28 tonight. Wish the wing decals weren't omitted. Hope the flying wind and weather cooperates this weekend !

Cheers

Jack
Old 09-27-2011, 06:53 PM
JackM

Summary -

Freezing the plane was definitely the way to go when removing the wing.

With the wing removed I cleaned the goop off the aileron servo and mounted it on the new wing using bath tub silicone sealant.

When I reassembled it I used packing tape to attach the wing rather than the double sided tape. This will allow the tape to be simply slit for next wing removal it the occassion arises.

Ready to fly again!

Jack
Old 09-27-2011, 10:02 PM
CNY_Dave

Once in awhile when you have it apart (to replace the motor, heh) make sure the tub caulk isn't causing any corrosion on the electronics.

I haven't seen it do so, but have seen the warning about.

Dave
Old 09-27-2011, 10:19 PM
JackM

Dave,

Thanks for the heads up! The original adhesive looked like calk! I do a bit with silicones (mold making) in my work and generally don't find them corrosive but I know some catalysts are corrosive. May depend on the calk?

I'm over in Rochester.

Jack
Old 09-27-2011, 10:22 PM
CNY_Dave

From the west- if I see a UM-T28 caught in the winter wind I'll PM you.

My coldest flight so far on my UM champ and UM T28 is -18F. Air is usually nice and still when it's below zero.

Dave
Old 09-27-2011, 10:47 PM
JackM

Dave,

Thanks! I got interested in R/C flying about a year ago. Problem is that there is usually too much wind come november. Seemed like calm weather didn't arrive till about June! I'll be doing a bit of simulator flying and building in the winter as time allows. I hope to have a float plane done by spring. It's almost ready to cover.

Is there a flying club in Cortland? I don't know if you have enough population down there?

Jack
Old 09-27-2011, 10:53 PM
CNY_Dave

Originally Posted by JackM View Post
Dave,

Thanks! I got interested in R/C flying about a year ago. Problem is that there is usually too much wind come november. Seemed like calm weather didn't arrive till about June! I'll be doing a bit of simulator flying and building in the winter as time allows. I hope to have a float plane done by spring. It's almost ready to cover.

Is there a flying club in Cortland? I don't know if you have enough population down there?

Jack

There is a cortland club, I'm not sure how active they are, I ended up joining a club in Ithaca.

They've already started indoor flying at a school gym, not bad for the champ but a bit small for the T28.

There is also a club called the Finger Lakes Air Pirates, sounds like a hoot but too far from me.

Dave
Old 09-27-2011, 11:00 PM
JackM

Yah, I only flew the T28 for about 10 minutes but came to the conclusion that I needed a larger area. It sure flys easier than my mini-telemaster but is faster and takes more room. I think I would have a tough time with it in a gym.

Jack
Old 09-28-2011, 03:54 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Jack, bathroom caulk is a no no with electronics. It will eventually cause corrosion problems.

The white stuff used to hold your bird together is quick set flexible epoxy.
Industrial version. If you think about it, these things are built on an assembly line.
Glue needs to set up fast. Caulk would take forever to set up and slow down production.

We use something similar in the collision repair business. It kicks in less then 15 seconds. Most of the time you get one squeeze out of the gun and the stuff in the nozzle kicks off and seals it up.

Hot glue is a good substitute. Use low temp for thin foam. Or very light coats of high temp.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:34 PM
JackM

This stuff sets up in about an hour and It isn't in contact with the circuit, just the little tabs. I'm not worried about it at all. I'll probably crash it again before anything bad happens!

Jack