General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

De-Icing ? -you think I'm joking ?

Old 01-08-2012, 01:32 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Default De-Icing ? -you think I'm joking ?

Today went flying ......... light snow flurries ... temp 0C ( 32F for those inching their way to metrication !! ) .... runway has snow / water mix for about 2-3mm ...

Fire up the T45 50mm EDF on wheels ...... no way !! the water and wheels held her down - even with the extra grunt my set-up has.

After practicing high speed car parking runs all round the runway in every direction possible trying to get her up ... found she was with ice ! Yep - she'd iced up even IN the duct ...

Cleared her off ... wheels unplugged ... hand launch .... WOW the LiPo's are really off with the cold ... she was hanging in and a handful till about 30secs and she warmed up ... Still she was slow compared to normal.

Vids to come ... will tack onto this thread once processed and uploaded...

Flew the Skyartec Cessna - one of those models that just works ... she went up but power was down also ...

Not the best or enjoyable days ... but at least I proved it's possible ... all went home in good condition.

Snow flurries do play havoc with visibility though ... especially when your models are mostly white ...

Yes I know - I'm crazy !!
Old 01-08-2012, 06:44 PM
payne9999
That's gonna leave a mark

Crazy here as well. I live in a fairly moderate climate but I have had wing icing lately especially when the fog has just cleared enough to fly and temps are at or below freezing. With the moist air moving over the wings and freezing I had to land because I realized the plane was not flying normally.

Newer batteries seem fine but ones that have had a lot of time on them seem more sensitive to the cold weather.

Dave
Old 01-08-2012, 08:34 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Today went flying ......... light snow flurries ... temp 0C ( 32F for those inching their way to metrication !! ) .... runway has snow / water mix for about 2-3mm ...

Fire up the T45 50mm EDF on wheels ...... no way !! the water and wheels held her down - even with the extra grunt my set-up has.

After practicing high speed car parking runs all round the runway in every direction possible trying to get her up ... found she was with ice ! Yep - she'd iced up even IN the duct ...

Cleared her off ... wheels unplugged ... hand launch .... WOW the LiPo's are really off with the cold ... she was hanging in and a handful till about 30secs and she warmed up ... Still she was slow compared to normal.

Vids to come ... will tack onto this thread once processed and uploaded...

Flew the Skyartec Cessna - one of those models that just works ... she went up but power was down also ...

Not the best or enjoyable days ... but at least I proved it's possible ... all went home in good condition.

Snow flurries do play havoc with visibility though ... especially when your models are mostly white ...

Yes I know - I'm crazy !!
No Problem, Get some 90% Rubbing alcohol and spread it on the Runway, take a match and lite it, There, after the flame is gone, you will have a nice warm runway LOL, I am Crazy Too ALSO use a big tin can and put a roll of toilet paper in it, pour in some 70% rubbing alcohol about 16 oz not the 90 % , the little extra water in the 70% helps to regulate the flame and lite it, that will keep you and your lipos nice and warm just stand close to it, but not to close
Old 01-09-2012, 05:13 AM
TLyttle
Super Contributor

We used to get frost on sailplanes under certain conditions, temp and humidity would generate a nice white covering on the rear 2/3 of the top of the wing. What a graphic on how the air is moving there!
Old 01-09-2012, 05:25 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

It's been unseasonably nice, here.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:31 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEw0oDa8R4Q

Proof of the pudding as they say ....

Taking a bit of time to upload other vids .... I use a 8mm Sony Handycam Video Camera to get the better zoom etc. and then have to split the vids taken and convert to digital before upload. I know it's a pain - but I have digi-cams etc. and the 8mm still gives a better overal vid. Anyway - anything for you lot to laugh at !!

Here's same day with On Board cam on the T45 ... I'm surprised it survived the flight and cold ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8tuIzXxYLM

The hand-launch and on-ground car-parking to follow once Youtube gets finished !!

Last edited by solentlife; 01-10-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:02 PM
FlyingBrick50
FlyingBrick50

Vids are malformed, in laymans terms broken,........must be the conversion?

Hmmmmm?
Old 01-10-2012, 03:13 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

The vids are part of an upload group - not all finished yet. But I have had trouble before with the "youtube" quick link button ... so have gone back to remove the YT pre/suffixes ... they are now straight urls....

Once the others have finished loading will check all.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:26 PM
CNY_Dave

I've had in-flight icing on my micros.

None yet this year on my larger trainer, although I've flown in the snow a bit, and off about a 1/2-inch (pavement).

Dave
Old 01-10-2012, 11:36 PM
Big Johnny
Master Of The Crash

Sounds to me like it is time to stay home and have a industial refill sized Kona Coffee, with a side of smooching with my lovely wife. I did some work on a piece of heavy equipment in late January about 250 miles north of Saskatoon. It wa 25 below and blowing snow & ice. I don't know whats worst. 25 below in Canada or 107 in a Louisana swamp with Gators, Snakes & insects so big the needed FAA waivers?
Old 01-11-2012, 04:35 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Just wait .... I have a HK Parkjet coming that will be fitted with the hotest set-up I can fit ... That will get a maiden flight probably when it's 20 below !
Old 01-11-2012, 04:38 PM
CNY_Dave

You'll beat my coldest then- I've had my champ and T-28 micros up in -18F.

Dave
Old 01-13-2012, 02:40 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Tried last year flying my 450 Heli in -30C ..... that was a joke !! LiPo just wouldn't play .... even though it was out of pocket and warmed.