General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Paint or cover?

Old 01-08-2009, 09:43 PM
gazzacov
Warm thumbs = More funs!

Question Paint or cover?

Hi guys. (& Gals!) I've accumilated a few spares along my way, mainly for my park flite cessna (son still learning). Instead of buying yet more decals, i thought about painting a spare wing/fuse etc and transferring the internals over, so he has an individual plane. What i'm struggling with is finding a spray paint that will paint foam (i call it expanded polystyrene) without melting it. I know through research you have some stuff in the US, but to get it here in the UK would be too expensive. Then i thought about solarfilm, untill i remembered you need to heat it on... not good. Does anyone have any thoughts/experience? Have searched through here everywhere but cannot find any threads previously posted related to covering or painting.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:30 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

Krylon H20 will work but colors are limited and heavy, I've heard Krylon short cuts will also work. (try on a beer cooler first ). if you have or can get an airbrush that's the best way to go (I don't have one yet), with that you can use any Acrylic paint with some rubbing alcohol or water to thin it out.

As for covering anything with low temp will work. TowerKote/EconoKote I believe solarfilm is or makes a low temp covering. The foam will bead a little bit but it won't melt.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:58 PM
max2112
Super Contributor

Default I covered.

I have used Econocote to cover a foam airframe before assembly recently. It turned out pretty decent. I will be able to post up some pics in a little bit but it is doable.

I used an old style hobby iron and left it on a low setting.

Good Luck & plz keep us posted!
Old 01-09-2009, 12:26 AM
max2112
Super Contributor

Default Econocote covering on foam.

Here we are.
These pics are of a Phase 3 F-16 that I got for Christmas. I did the wings , tail and fuselage sepaerately before assembling with 5 minute epoxy.
The pictures are actually pretty forgiving. I made several mistakes that ended up being major wrinkles.

I never put the Iron on more then 2 & 1/4. I was afraid of melting or warping the foam.
I think it worked pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030547.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	89692   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030550.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	89693   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030551.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	89694  
Old 01-09-2009, 01:41 AM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Coverings For Foam?

Hallo Gazzacov, Welcome to Wattflyer!
CC and John have given you some good advice already, I will only add that the question of which coverings are suitable for different structures has come up before and I put together this reply;
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18843
Also, on the sticky at the top of this Forum, "New Builders Links", scroll to the "Coverings" category. There are several links for various covering methods as well as a weight chart for many covering types.
Hope this helps, Good Luck!
Ron
Old 01-09-2009, 04:37 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi Gazzacov I like using krylon Short cuts paints on foam, test first, and use in thin coats, I also like using Monokote trim tape for trim, it works great and is lite weight, the krylon H20 paint is kind of heavy, as its a latex house type paint, but it works, best to use with larger planes, the monokote comes in a section 5x36 and is self sticking, it comes in different colors too, here is a pic of my corsair, painted with the Short Cuts spray paint, take care, Chellie

http://www.misterart.com/store/view/...Short-Cuts.htm

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/535302.asp

Top Flite Monokote Trim Missile Red 5 x 36

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PICcorsair2.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	89732   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICcorsair4.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	89733  
Old 01-09-2009, 10:45 PM
gazzacov
Warm thumbs = More funs!

Nice colour on the Corsair Chellie! Thanks to all for the info, I'm looking through it all in between drinking tea and eating chocolate. Krylon shortcuts seem to be the answer to my prayers, but hard if not impossible to get here in the uk, and being airosol means no airmail. Good tip about solarfilm there, been years since i used it, but might give it a try on some scrap foam, if i can relocate my old iron. will keep an update on the links mentioned for coverings etc, in case its any help to others. Thanks again everyone.

Just read through the section on coverings posted by Mr. Sharkster... Nice work! Very informative, have saved a copy on my pc for future reference.

Last edited by gazzacov; 01-09-2009 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Add to origional post