Aerial Photography Discuss all aerial photography topics as they relate to rc aircraft

Flight with E-Kite over the Spessart near Frankfurt Germany

Old 07-18-2009, 01:00 PM
knackbaer

Default Flight with E-Kite over the Spessart near Frankfurt Germany

Hello,

yesterday was a great Day for AP, and so I take my first pic´s and an Video Clip onbord from my E-Kite. The Location was A little village at the edge of the Spessart Moutains approximate 20 Miles eastward from Frankfurt Germany. It was one of my first flights and it gets better and better every flight. Take a look, thanks.

Last edited by knackbaer; 03-24-2017 at 07:36 AM.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:29 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

Cool little plane and well done photos! Thanks for posting them!!
Old 07-18-2009, 05:27 PM
MustangMan
Community Moderator

Default Excellent!

Thanks for sharing those. Looks like a lovely place to live!
Old 07-18-2009, 05:45 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

I never get tired of seeing pics from EU. Very cool! and I like the plane/kite, I'm assuming you had perfect flying conditions.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:54 AM
knackbaer

Default Question

Hello,

and thanks a lot vor your kind reply. Now I had a question to my model makers colleagues in the US. We spend our vacation´s in Naples Florida, and my thought was, how great would be, take some AP from the beach in the early morning time or something else . How is the rule about RC flying in the US ? Is a special insurance for modelaircraft required? In Germany is a special insurance mandatory required since 2009. Before 1.1. 2009 the Model was automatically insured in your householder´s insurance.

Knackbaer

Old 07-19-2009, 09:20 PM
GallopingGhost

Tell us more about your E-kite.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:08 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Insurance is a touchy subject, but...no you do not need it to fly. Unless you are at a AMA field, then it is required. You do pose the risk of getting in trouble if you fly it into someone or something as alot of people here in the states are 'sue happy' meaning they may try to take you to court if they get damaged. Alot of people already fly with no insurance and never had a problem, but there is always that 1% risk that gets ya....

(if you have house insurance here it will be covered. I dont know if your German house insurance would cover anything)

Next time you make it to the states give one of us wattflyers a yell, we are all over.

Originally Posted by knackbaer View Post
Hello,

and thanks a lot vor your kind reply. Now I had a question to my model makers colleagues in the US. We spend our vacation´s in Naples Florida, and my thought was, how great would be, take some AP from the beach in the early morning time or something else . How is the rule about RC flying in the US ? Is a special insurance for modelaircraft required? In Germany is a special insurance mandatory required since 2009. Before 1.1. 2009 the Model was automatically insured in your householder´s insurance.

Knackbaer

Old 07-20-2009, 05:18 PM
knackbaer

Default E-Kite

Hello,

my E-Kite is verry simple build. The original idea is from "Bar Stool" rcgroups.com. But my kite is a little adjusted on the landscape condition´s in our region. Sadly we don´t have much enough space to take of and landing here. So I mostly make a hand lounch and the touch down in a field or grassland. O yes we have little road´s in the field´s vor tractor´s but they are verry small . So my first touch down in a field was the last for the landing gear. So have a look at the pics the solution is simple but strong enough vor a touch down in grassland.

We are look vorward to our vacation withhin 2 week´s in Naples Florida. Is there a model airplane field in this area ?

Knackbaer

Old 07-20-2009, 06:14 PM
MustangMan
Community Moderator

To find AMA clubs near Naples go here: http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx and enter Naples in the city and select state FL. I just did and it shows three clubs in that area with web sites and contact information.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:21 AM
knackbaer

Default E-Kite

Some new picture's from a castle northeastern from frankfurt, called "Ronneburg". The castle was build at 1231. The castlemuseum is well worth seeing.

Knackbaer
Old 07-29-2009, 10:27 AM
knackbaer

Default Pictures

Here are the Pictures.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:23 PM
MustangMan
Community Moderator

Those are some excellent photos. The castle looks like an interesting place indeed. Beautiful countryside! Thanks for posting these.

I assume the "kite" design flies pretty slowly which would be a benefit in trying to line up your photos. How stable is it in breezes? Any chance you could get some in-flight video so we could get a sense of how it flies?

Thanks again.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:03 PM
knackbaer

Default E-Kite

Hello,

you are right the kite doesn't like wind. The advantage from the kite design is, it flies verry slowly, and it's enough space vor the camera.
I take some in-flight video .

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNoOYI4Bb3c[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yCjlY3wvtQ[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=446l82RLzM8[/media]
Old 07-29-2009, 06:19 PM
MustangMan
Community Moderator

Default Excellent video!

These are excellent videos!

Your kite/plane appears to have positive but soft control which yields relatively steady motion for such a small craft.

I went looking on Google maps for Rodenbach and found it easily. I'm guessing you are flying in the open area (looks like hay fields) roughly bounded by Südring and Alzenauer Strasse.

I notice you seem to carefully avoid flying over the houses and buildings in the town.

The area is indeed beautiful! I look forward to seeing your further adventures.

Thanks
Old 07-29-2009, 09:32 PM
knackbaer

Default E-Kite

Hello,

yes the erea is between Südring and Alzenauer Straße. We are live in the Südring above at the edge of the forest. You can see it in the next pictures. This forest is the so-called Spessart Mountain. It is the largest connected Forest erea in Germany, about 2 miles behind our home is the northernmost border at Bavaria.

Thank for your interest

Old 07-29-2009, 10:21 PM
MustangMan
Community Moderator

Hello,

yes the erea is between Südring and Alzenauer Straße. We are live in the Südring above at the edge of the forest. You can see it in the next pictures. This forest is the so-called Spessart Mountain. It is the largest connected Forest erea in Germany, about 2 miles behind our home is the northernmost border at Bavaria.

Thank for your interest
I had very little difficulty recognizing it by comparing your video to the Google maps images.

You are very lucky to have a flying area within walking distance. I live in North Florida which is mostly forest and have to drive about 7 km. to a public park with baseball fields and soccer fields. Then I have to hope that the fields aren't in use for games and practices. The local AMA club also has a field here but it is approximately 20 km. from my home and has limited hours because some members fly internal combustion engine powered planes which are quite noisy.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:22 AM
knackbaer

Default E-Kite

In Germany are a lot of model clubs as well with all kinds of model aircraft , but AP are not so common. The idea of AP I got sometimes, if I watched a clip on You Tube. There was a in-flight video from a slow stick over the pier in Naples Florida. We spend our vacations in Naples since several years. It was amazing vor me to see the beach from above. And the idee was born, to see my neighborhood from a higher elevation. And it works pretty well.

And so i will take fotos bit by bit from my neighborhood.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:51 PM
MustangMan
Community Moderator

It works very well indeed! And you have a beautiful area to photograph. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:52 PM
knackbaer

Default New Pictures

Hello

here are some new pictures of this Morning, from our neighbour village Oberrodenbach and Somborn .The weather was great, but the Wind was a little gusty, and sometimes I thought the kite get never down to earth.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:47 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

More great shots! Danka!!
Old 07-31-2009, 10:53 PM
MustangMan
Community Moderator

Hello

here are some new pictures of this Morning, from our neighbour village Oberrodenbach and Somborn .The weather was great, but the Wind was a little gusty, and sometimes I thought the kite get never down to earth.
More beautiful scenery. Several of those shots look like they suffer from camera shaking.

The higher altitude ones provide an interesting perspective.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:38 AM
MarkFitzgerald

Great Shots, KB! I actually goy my Hawkeye up for two flights last weekend (took pics & video). I flew my TwinStarII as well with the FCO2 aboard and ended up stalling it over a cornfield here: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl. See picture for actual location. Only a small dent in wing and some green transfer. No real damage. Lucky.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Crash.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	106892  
Old 08-10-2009, 10:22 PM
knackbaer

hi mark,

that was a luck of curse. i am now in naples florida and i got my ordered hawkeye . now i am looking forward to come home and try this bird.

greetings from florida

walter
Old 08-10-2009, 10:43 PM
MustangMan
Community Moderator

hi mark,

that was a luck of curse. i am now in naples florida and i got my ordered hawkeye . now i am looking forward to come home and try this bird.

greetings from florida

walter
Welcome to Florida! It appears that you have more comfortable conditions in South Florida than we do here in North Florida! It is currently 95 degrees (36 C) here with light breezes.

I hope you enjoy your visit.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:43 AM
thomdoe

Fly like a "Rebel" no license !

Quick Reply: Flight with E-Kite over the Spessart near Frankfurt Germany

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12989 seconds with 14 queries