Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Lipo battery

Old 12-23-2010, 12:14 PM
JackM

Question Lipo battery

I have a brushless outrunner intended for a Blackburn Monoplane along with the appropriate ESC-BEC and prop. The motor is 11V max.

Do I choose a 11V battery?

Jack
Old 12-23-2010, 12:25 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Yes, that motor should run on a 3 cell lipo. You'll have some other factors to decide such as how many MAh you want to get based on the size of the plane, as well as the C rating based on how many amps you'll be drawing
Old 12-23-2010, 03:28 PM
JackM

Bill,

How is the C rating determined? I want the highest MHh to fit in the space aloted.

Jack
Old 12-23-2010, 03:32 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

The c rating is assigned by the manufacturer as to what the battery can handle amp wise.

If you are looking for max MAh just measure the area for you battery and get the biggest one you can fit in there. Just make sure the battery you get has a high enough c rating to handle the expected amp draw of you plane. What size Mah are you thinking you'll be able to get in there?

What plane are you putting this in and do you have any idea what the amp draw will be? The max for that motor based on specs is 15 amps so unless you are getting a tiny battery the c rating shouldn't need to be too high.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:23 PM
JackM

Bill,

I want to build a Blackburn Monoplane designed by Tim McKay. I couldn't find the exact motor,Atlas 2308, so think I came as close as possible. I find the electric motor/esc-bec/battery think a bit confusing which is why I posted the query. I'm planing on using a 8" dia 6" pitch prop.

Thanks for your assistance!!!

Jack
Old 12-23-2010, 04:49 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by JackM View Post
Bill,

I want to build a Blackburn Monoplane designed by Tim McKay. I couldn't find the exact motor,Atlas 2308, so think I came as close as possible. I find the electric motor/esc-bec/battery think a bit confusing which is why I posted the query. I'm planing on using a 8" dia 6" pitch prop.

Thanks for your assistance!!!

Jack

No problem at all. Glad to help. You are not going to be drawing very many amps at all. with that size prop on that motor. You can save some money by getting a lower C rated battery. The higher the rating the more expensive they are. 15-20 will work well for you.

It's hard to tell what size will fit in there. You could look in the 1300-1800 range, that may work ok based on how big it looks in the pics.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:05 PM
JackM

Bill,

Thanks! You verified my thinking on battery. Those that I looked at were in that range. I'm new to R/C planes and the electric stuff is the route I want to go but it is all quite confusing based on what I have read. I used to have an amateur radio license so have a teaspoon of understanding about electricity. When I started the quest for a powerplant I ran into the problem of different sources using different types of specs. I'll learn eventually....

Regards,

Jack
Old 12-23-2010, 05:32 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Yer Welcome! Don't hesitate to ask if you need anything else.

Your project looks really cool. Be sure to post up some pics once you get it built. I'd like to see it.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:08 PM
JackM

Bill,

I am limited to 1000MAh by size but my guess is that it will be more than adequet!

One last thing. I will need a charger. Any suggestions as to good brands and specs?

Jack
Old 12-23-2010, 06:15 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I am very fond of the Cellpro line. The 4s Multi would be a good option for you.

http://www.store.revolectrix.com/Pro...Cellpro-Multi4

You'll need to know which battery you're going to get so you'll know which adapter to get
Old 12-23-2010, 07:11 PM
JackM

Bill,

I'll certainly look at the Cellpro line.

Once I start on actually building the Blackburn I'll post some pictures during the build. Meanwhile I fly the sim and wait for better flying weather!

Have a nice Holiday!

Jack
Old 12-23-2010, 07:23 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

You too Jack
Old 12-26-2010, 04:22 AM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

Originally Posted by JackM View Post
Bill,

Thanks! You verified my thinking on battery. Those that I looked at were in that range. I'm new to R/C planes and the electric stuff is the route I want to go but it is all quite confusing based on what I have read. I used to have an amateur radio license so have a teaspoon of understanding about electricity. When I started the quest for a powerplant I ran into the problem of different sources using different types of specs. I'll learn eventually....

Regards,

Jack
A "teaspoon"? I though HAM's needed enough understanding to build their own radio at least. Or have they gotten lax on that too (wish the FAA would!)?
Old 12-26-2010, 05:55 PM
JackM

Flywheel,

The amateur radio tests are mainly regarding rules/regulations and basic electricity and radio. I am pretty comfortable about basic electrical circuits but I don't have a good understanding of electronic componants/circuits. I have forgotten a lot that I learned. Amateur Radio is dying IMHO. They have made it a lot easier in recent years including dropping code requirements.

What goes on in our models is way more complicated that it might seem! In terms of motors and related stuff I find it all very cryptic. What I would like is a step by step explanation of how to match an electrical power plant to a given airframe.

Jack