Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Plane for wind

Old 06-22-2011, 12:36 AM
  #1  
JackM
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 102
Default Plane for wind

I am flying a 4 ch Mini-Telemaster which is fine for very calm to non-existant wind. Trouble is that that type of weather isn't all that common around here. Evenings lately have 4-6 mph wind or more.

I want to build a plane from a kit or plans that will handle some wind. Being a beginner slower is better but I know that the two don't usually go together. I definitely want a balsa airframe not foam. I enjoy building so RTF or ARF don't appeal.

Ideas and/or insight?

Jack
JackM is offline  
Old 06-22-2011, 01:14 AM
  #2  
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 19,269
Default

Gee your sure not asking for much Jack Just kidding, here are some plans if your interested, Balsa Kits are some what a thing of the past, you can find them, but they are far and few in between. the pattern ships cut right through the air, and there are a lot of other planes on this web site that will do the same, Take care and have fun, Chellie

http://www.rcmplans.com/index.php?ma...=index&cPath=2

Last edited by CHELLIE; 06-22-2011 at 02:43 AM.
CHELLIE is offline  
Old 06-22-2011, 01:20 AM
  #3  
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 19,269
Default

the Kobra, kougar, will cut right through the wind

http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...FV5.html?E+Sig



CHELLIE is offline  
Old 06-22-2011, 01:31 AM
  #4  
TM4197
Dope&Fabric
 
TM4197's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Virginia/Delaware
Posts: 1,355
Default

Nice Bird! I wonder where she is now?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	pl-966.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	149923  
TM4197 is offline  
Old 06-22-2011, 02:42 AM
  #5  
offtom
Megans Servant
 
offtom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: My Basement
Posts: 2,213
Default

Can't take credit for this find because Hank found it first and shared it with us awhile back.

A few plans very similar to the ones Chellie was suggesting.........at a very reasonable price .


http://www.outerzone.co.uk/


Great site.
offtom is offline  
Old 06-22-2011, 03:01 AM
  #6  
offtom
Megans Servant
 
offtom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: My Basement
Posts: 2,213
Default

Then here's another site with lots of cool plans. Takes a little to find what you might be looking for though.

http://aviationshoppe.com/airplane_plans/

But this is one that I've been wanting to do for quite awhile.
http://aviationshoppe.com/airplane_p...s.php?file=910

Very similar to what Chellie was suggesting. I just think it looks like a fun plane to fly.



I need more free time.

(Several other sites with various types of free plans out there. Google can be your friend.)
offtom is offline  
Old 06-22-2011, 03:18 AM
  #7  
JackM
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 102
Default

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Balsa Kits are some what a thing of the past, you can find them, but they are far and few in between. the pattern ships cut right through the air,
http://www.rcmplans.com/index.php?ma...=index&cPath=2

Thing of the past? Well, I guess I am too in a way!

The foam stuff just seems kind of cheezy to me ( I have a little foam champ) and I feel a balsa plane is more repairable. I can make almost anything I need (I'm a machinist/modelmaker) but can't make injected foam parts. A friend has mentioned pattern ships so given your suggestion I'll have to start looking in that direction.

Thanks,

Jack
JackM is offline  
Old 06-22-2011, 03:38 AM
  #8  
JackM
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 102
Default

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Gee your sure not asking for much Jack Just kidding, here are some plans if your interested, Balsa Kits are some what a thing of the past, you can find them, but they are far and few in between. the pattern ships cut right through the air, and there are a lot of other planes on this web site that will do the same, Take care and have fun, Chellie

http://www.rcmplans.com/index.php?ma...=index&cPath=2

Interesting link but sadly they sure don't tell ya much about the aircraft!

Most of the pattern ships seem to be gassers and larger than what I have in mind.

Jack
JackM is offline  
Old 06-22-2011, 03:39 AM
  #9  
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 19,269
Default

Originally Posted by JackM View Post
Thing of the past? Well, I guess I am too in a way!

The foam stuff just seems kind of cheezy to me ( I have a little foam champ) and I feel a balsa plane is more repairable. I can make almost anything I need (I'm a machinist/modelmaker) but can't make injected foam parts. A friend has mentioned pattern ships so given your suggestion I'll have to start looking in that direction.

Thanks,

Jack
I Think you might like this plane

http://www.stevensaero.com/StevensAe...2-p-17493.html




http://www.stevensaero.com/Pattern-3D-p-1-c-32.html
CHELLIE is offline  
Old 06-22-2011, 03:46 AM
  #10  
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 19,269
Default

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGTS5&P=7

CHELLIE is offline  
Old 06-22-2011, 03:47 AM
  #11  
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN
 
kenchiroalpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,837
Talking

Hi Jack
Welcome aboard
Pleased to meet ya
Try these sites
Kits
http://www.easybuiltmodels.com/
http://www.balsausa.com/
http://www.guillow.com/
http://www.darehobby.com/
Plans
http://unclewilliesplans.com/
Take care
Yours Hank
kenchiroalpha is offline  
Old 06-22-2011, 05:37 AM
  #12  
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 19,269
Default

Originally Posted by JackM View Post
Interesting link but sadly they sure don't tell ya much about the aircraft!

Most of the pattern ships seem to be gassers and larger than what I have in mind.

Jack
those are vintage plane for nitro, but they can be built lighter for E Power, What size W/S and Length were you looking for you can go to RCM Magazine and read the article on them, the Sniper has a 37 1/2 W/S and is in the RCM Jan 1987 magazine.

http://www.rcmplans.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=1798


larger image

SNIPER

$9.00

37-1/2" span, 234 sq. in., .051-.10, 3 ch., built-up balsa and plywood, one sheet 29" x 42-1/2"


Add to Cart:

  • Model: pl-984
  • Designed by: Hans Hochradel
  • Featured in issue: RCM 1-87
or short kits
http://www.lazer-works.com/rcm.html

Last edited by CHELLIE; 06-22-2011 at 06:13 AM.
CHELLIE is offline  
Old 06-22-2011, 06:20 AM
  #13  
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 19,269
Default

the Mach-none is a nice plane too.

http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/



http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/mach-none_cadplans.pdf

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1146842

or the pacer


http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/pacer_cadplans.pdf
CHELLIE is offline  
Old 06-22-2011, 02:26 PM
  #14  
JackM
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 102
Default

All your suggestions are interesting!!!!!!!

Sniper and Machnone appeal the most !!! Probably Machnone since the plans are free!

Thanks Chellie
JackM is offline  
Old 06-22-2011, 02:52 PM
  #15  
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN
 
kenchiroalpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,837
Question

Originally Posted by JackM View Post
All your suggestions are interesting!!!!!!!

Sniper and Machnone appeal the most !!! Probably Machnone since the plans are free!

Thanks Chellie
Hi Jack
A question if i may
How long have you been flying the tele and how capable a pilot are you?
Both of those models are quite a handful for the novice
Take care
Yours Hank
kenchiroalpha is offline  
Old 06-22-2011, 03:24 PM
  #16  
JackM
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 102
Default

Hank,

That is definitely an issue!!! I'm in the dilema of needing more flying time but not being able to fly due to wind! So far I have only seen one or two days when I could fly and only a few evenings/mornings.

I am planning the build NOW since it probably won't get done till next spring. I am still looking at possibilities while trying to get in some flying time. I fly a sim a lot but find flying a real model easier. I think it has to do with depth perception and periferial vision being limited in a sim.

Mostly I am looking for an airplane that can handle some wind w/o all the bouncing/floating around. Ideally I'd like to find a plane that is a bit forgiving but has either a semi-symetrical or symetrical wing to cut into the wind.

I have toyed with the idea of making a semi-symetrical wing for the telemaster with less dihedral which could be done in a few evenings. Adding weight has also crossed my mind since this plane has both lift and power in reserve.

One of the frustrations is that info on plans descriptions are sketchy at best. Most don't mention airfoil or other things that affect flight. Being refered to articles is not of any use since I don't have access to them.

Jack
JackM is offline  
Old 06-22-2011, 03:34 PM
  #17  
spad
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 643
Default

I completed a topnotchkits.com Cessna 195 a few weeks back, and find it is unmoved by the wind! It's a stable, scale model that will look great if you take your time with the woodwork, something you seem to enjoy.

Mine is quite easy to fly, but certainly not for a beginner.
spad is offline  
Old 06-22-2011, 03:45 PM
  #18  
JackM
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 102
Default

Spad,

Wasn't aware of Topnotch kits. Very impressive quality and engineering. Though the 195 doesn't appeal the Bush Hawk does.

Thanks for the heads up!

Jack
JackM is offline  
Old 06-22-2011, 03:48 PM
  #19  
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN
 
kenchiroalpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,837
Default

Originally Posted by JackM View Post
Hank,

That is definitely an issue!!! I'm in the dilema of needing more flying time but not being able to fly due to wind! So far I have only seen one or two days when I could fly and only a few evenings/mornings.

I am planning the build NOW since it probably won't get done till next spring. I am still looking at possibilities while trying to get in some flying time. I fly a sim a lot but find flying a real model easier. I think it has to do with depth perception and periferial vision being limited in a sim.

Mostly I am looking for an airplane that can handle some wind w/o all the bouncing/floating around. Ideally I'd like to find a plane that is a bit forgiving but has either a semi-symetrical or symetrical wing to cut into the wind.

I have toyed with the idea of making a semi-symetrical wing for the telemaster with less dihedral which could be done in a few evenings. Adding weight has also crossed my mind since this plane has both lift and power in reserve.

One of the frustrations is that info on plans descriptions are sketchy at best. Most don't mention airfoil or other things that affect flight. Being refered to articles is not of any use since I don't have access to them.

Jack
Hi Jack
Yeah theres so many choices
Something like this would imho be perfect for your needs
http://www.sigmfg.com/IndexText/SIGRC56.html
Also look into the PT-19 T-28 and T-34 as all are very good low wing trainers that will handle some wind
Take care
Yours Hank
kenchiroalpha is offline  
Old 06-22-2011, 05:22 PM
  #20  
spad
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 643
Default

Originally Posted by JackM View Post
Spad,

Wasn't aware of Topnotch kits. Very impressive quality and engineering. Though the 195 doesn't appeal the Bush Hawk does.

Thanks for the heads up!

Jack
I'm looking at that one, too!

The quality of the wood is amazing and the designs are the best I've encountered.

The owner/designer, John Valentine, is always willing to answer build questions, too!
spad is offline  
Old 06-22-2011, 05:35 PM
  #21  
JackM
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 102
Default

Spad,

I am a modelmaker and take products from concept to CAD design to finished product.

John's products look well thoughtout and much better value than most of the kits I have seen. I hope he is successful and around for a while. Time to start saving pennies for the Bush Hawk!

Jack
JackM is offline  
Old 06-22-2011, 06:24 PM
  #22  
Octavius
Alien Surfer
 
Octavius's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 675
Default

Besides pattern planes, larger is better for wind.

Hey Chilli, that Sniper is pretty hot. I've always loved the lines of these classic pattern planes.
Octavius is offline  
Old 06-22-2011, 07:33 PM
  #23  
JackM
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 102
Default

Will a high wing model with semi-symetrical wings be steadier in wind than the telemaster?

Jack
JackM is offline  
Old 06-22-2011, 08:05 PM
  #24  
rcers
Super Contributor
 
rcers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Trophy Club TX
Posts: 6,314
Default

Originally Posted by JackM View Post
Will a high wing model with semi-symetrical wings be steadier in wind than the telemaster?

Jack
Wind handling has to do with a function of wind loading and side area of the fuselage. So the airfoil and wing location.

So the higher the wing loading the better the wind handling.

Wings ROCK in the wind even with a lighter loading. Something magic about them.

Mike
rcers is offline  
Old 06-22-2011, 09:18 PM
  #25  
JackM
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 102
Default

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
Wind handling has to do with a function of wind loading and side area of the fuselage. So the airfoil and wing location.

So the higher the wing loading the better the wind handling.

Wings ROCK in the wind even with a lighter loading. Something magic about them.

Mike
You kinda lost me. I understand the fuse has wind resistance.

Jack
JackM is offline  

Quick Reply: Plane for wind


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15244 seconds with 12 queries