General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Gloves or no gloves ?

Old 01-07-2012, 01:41 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Thumbs up Gloves or no gloves ?

Today went flying ... wind was SW at ~5 - 8m/s ... with periods of quiet. Temperature hovering out of wind at about +2C ... in the wind significantly lower.

Models : Skyartec Cessna 182 + Skyangel T45 edf

First couple of flights - as normal flew bare hands for 'feel' of sticks. But this got hard when hands were really getting cold. So I put on the thin gloves I carry ... concerned that I would lose stick feel. I had considered cutting the finger tips of the gloves ... but decided to try complete. If I did cut - I would only cut the forefinger and thumb - as others are not used by me on a TX ....

Surprise when they were fine .. but they are THIN not usual leatherette style thick jobs. They are more for wearing on dirty jobs but still able to 'feel' what you hold. About $2 in local supermarket.

So question is - Do you use gloves ? Any advise / comments for others thinkling about using them ?
Old 01-07-2012, 04:34 PM
flydiver
Super Contributor

I use thin gloves. Lots of my buddies use the thicker wool with the fingers cut off. For really cold I've been recommended to get a TX bag. Not tried one but they just look bulky and clumsy to me.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:52 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

I have been using the supermarket gloves to keep the wind chill off the hands. In no way shape or form does this keep my hands warm. I always make sure my truck is close buy with the heater running. I can be such a woos in cold I do have a pair of mechanix gloves in my truck with out a thumb and forefinger which I have used a bit but again did not keep my hands warm. Thank goodness for the man who invented the heater should of gave that person a Noble Prize I have looked into purchasing a bag as well and even thought of making one but...I haven't
Old 01-07-2012, 05:03 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post
I have been using the supermarket gloves to keep he wind chill of the hands. In no way shape or form does this keep my hands warm. I always make sure my truck is close buy with the heater running. I can be such a woos in cold I do have a pair of mechanix gloves in my truck with out a thumb and forefinger which I have used a bit but again did not keep my hands warm. Thank goodness for the man who invented the heater should of gave that person a Noble Prize I have looked into purchasing a bag as well and even thought of making one but...I haven't
Wife bought me some leather thin gloves for Christmas. The finger section provides alot of mobility. Hasn't been too cold here yet but look to try them tomorrow along with my GB Packer wool hat.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:22 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Friend of mine was using his Turnigy Tx bag today ... worked a treat - BUT when it came to flying his 'wing' which needs hand launch - he needed a second person to do the heave ho !

the supermarket thin gloves - at least delayed the onset of cold for the 4 - 5 mins of flight. Once landed and switched of - it was hands in pocket.

A trick that one guy was using today - he was asking each of us for our lipo's straight after a flight ! He'd then with lipo in hand - put hand in pocket ... Best hand warmer ever he reckoned !
Old 01-07-2012, 05:43 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
A trick that one guy was using today - he was asking each of us for our lipo's straight after a flight ! He'd then with lipo in hand - put hand in pocket ... Best hand warmer ever he reckoned !
LOL I did that yesterday as a matter of fact
Old 01-07-2012, 06:48 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

But I bet that was with your own packs ... this guy was asking for everyone elses !!

Dunno what he's gonna do when I start running extra hot on my T45 !

With winter temps over here that drop to -20C and lower .... he's gonna be hard pushed to find anyone who wants to give up a warm lipo that they use for own hands !

My quest for gloves that work - is ready for when winter really sets in and I can fly on the river at back of my house..... by end of january - it should be about 1/2m thick ice out there .... some years it's a metre thick or more. Only obstacle then will be the Ice Fishermen ...
Old 01-07-2012, 07:19 PM
littleimp

I use fingerless gloves too. I'm gonna try latex surgical gloves under these at some point, these help with the cold when riding me vespa.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:31 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by littleimp View Post
I use fingerless gloves too. I'm gonna try latex surgical gloves under these at some point, these help with the cold when riding me vespa.
Me ... I rode Lambretta ... last one being a 228cc Ancilotti conversion GT200 Series 3 ....

Old 01-07-2012, 08:10 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

I'm gonna try latex surgical gloves under these at some point, these help with the cold when riding me vespa.
You know that is actually a good idea. Many moons ago I used surgical gloves at the rifle ranges and I recall my hands staying warm. I forgot about that. I may just try that sometime soon
Old 01-07-2012, 10:55 PM
littleimp

Me ... I rode Lambretta ... last one being a 228cc Ancilotti conversion GT200 Series 3 ....

I currently have a PX125. The Mod / 2-tone scene is my other passion.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:57 PM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

I've tried gloves a few times, but I find it hard to get used to the extra stiffness in the controls (which is really stiffness in my fingers, of course...)
Old 01-08-2012, 12:37 AM
Big Johnny
Master Of The Crash

I just don't go flying if the weather is too hot or too cold. After 35 years working outside in everything Mother Nature could dish out, dang if I'm gonna be miserble during my recreational activities. Cold days = Hot coffee, snuggling with my wife, playing video games and not skicking my nose outside the door.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:03 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I currently have a PX125. The Mod / 2-tone scene is my other passion.

I hark back to the days of Quadrophenia ........ "The Who" is still one of my favourite groups ... Won't get fooled again ! ... and the "Animals" of course ... House of the Rising Sun.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:06 AM
r_kopka
Electric Only

TX Bags as mentioned are bad for models to be thrown. It works, but you have to be fast and precise to get into the bag. Seeing the Display is impossible or difficult, switches can be set incidentally.

Gloves are OK for slower planes like an ES EG...
I once tried a heli with thin leather gloves and was happy when I got it down in one peace again.

I use cheap knitted heated USB gloves on a Lipo without finger cups. That works well for at least 2h at 0C.

RK
Old 01-09-2012, 05:25 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I'd tried gloves before and didn't like it ...... but that was back in UK and many years ago.
Here in Latvia the winters are severe, so needed to trial something. I knew there was no way I could wear real warm gloves for flying ... so wanted something to delay the cold long enough but still have "feel" of the sticks. The gloves I used were just that .... thin enough to allow me to "feel" the sticks and delayed the bite of cold long enough.
I lent to another flyer that day who tried with more normal gloves .... he's now gone and bought a pair himself ....

At $2 a pair .... worth a trial !
Old 01-09-2012, 05:35 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

I hark back to the days of Quadrophenia ........ "The Who" is still one of my favourite groups ... Won't get fooled again ! ... and the "Animals" of course ... House of the Rising Sun.
I second your love for Quadrophenia. Saw them in concert circa 1976 when Keith Moon was still alive.

One thing I do on the cold days , and that's a relative term coming from Texas, is to keep the car running. Our lot is directly adjacent to the hangar. We're in for some nasty weather all week. Puts me more in the build mode.

-Hawk
Old 01-09-2012, 08:52 PM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

We are the mods! We are the mods! We are we are we are the mods!
Old 01-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Fast Guy

I made a TX Mitt/Radio bag with stiff sides so it holds its shape and your hands are very unrestricted inside. Other than adding a little weight it feels like flying in the summer. Fly down to -18c/0F and hands stay nice and warm. Throw in a couple of those chemical hot packs and it's very comfortable.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ski Fly 03.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	156247  
Old 01-09-2012, 11:22 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Fast Guy View Post
I made a TX Mitt/Radio bag with stiff sides so it holds its shape and your hands are very unrestricted inside. Other than adding a little weight it feels like flying in the summer. Fly down to -18c/0F and hands stay nice and warm. Throw in a couple of those chemical hot packs and it's very comfortable.
Fast Guy,

You Canadians really know how to cope. Sure beats Hockey Gloves ! Very innovative solution !
Old 01-10-2012, 01:32 AM
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

These gloves are very cheap, usually in a pack of 12-15 pair for about 7 bucks. You can find these in Asian stores, some gas stations also sell these. Cotton light latex coated fingers and palms. Put a couple in your pocket to warm up. As soon as your hands feel chiled, change them out. The latex makes a perfect grip, you can even pick up small screws. The feel to the Tx is great.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Red latex coated.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	156253  
Old 01-10-2012, 01:54 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

I have a Tx glove / radio bag that works really well, except that 90% of my models are hand launch and belly land so the bag doesn't work for me unless I have someone else who can toss my models into the air.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:26 AM
Fast Guy

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Fast Guy,

You Canadians really know how to cope. Sure beats Hockey Gloves ! Very innovative solution !
Thanks dahawk. I'm finding that as I get older (57) my hands just can't take the cold as well as they used to and gloves in my area just can't keep my hands warm enough. Our average temps for this time of year are -9c (15F) for a high and -21 (-6F) for a low. The TX mitt makes flying in these colder temps fun.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:28 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Big Johnny View Post
I just don't go flying if the weather is too hot or too cold. After 35 years working outside in everything Mother Nature could dish out, dang if I'm gonna be miserble during my recreational activities. Cold days = Hot coffee, snuggling with my wife, playing video games and not skicking my nose outside the door.
LOL
Before retiring, the company I worked for had me travel to jobs at the Alaska Oilfields in the end of January, and in India during their hot season. That was a temperature range of some 180 degrees F! With the current world wide situation, sure am glad to not be traveling anymore.

Anyone outside without proper clothing at those oilfields in winter won't last long.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:31 AM
Fast Guy

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
I have a Tx glove / radio bag that works really well, except that 90% of my models are hand launch and belly land so the bag doesn't work for me unless I have someone else who can toss my models into the air.
I found that with a little practice I could hand launch and get my hand in my TX mitt quick enough to gain control. A couple close calls the first few times though.

Quick Reply: Gloves or no gloves ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11763 seconds with 13 queries