Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Heston Phoenix 36" span from Aeromodeller plans

Old 11-12-2012, 09:47 PM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Smile Beautiful plane!

Bill, congratulations on a very attractive little flyer. You are a wizard with the balsa! When I saw Barry had posted here it drew my curiosity (1st time for me posting to this thread). Keep up the great work; you never cease to amaze me with the models you choose to represent.

Bob
Old 11-12-2012, 11:29 PM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Thanks for the comments all. Really pleased with this one, as it flies well enough that it may actually have a chance of making it back out to the field again. As of this past weekend, the Avro Type F flies also. I had some reservations conerning it. Flies, but probably not an everyday flyer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFQYc...2&feature=plcp

Paul I have Miles Aerovan on the table now, and will start a thread soon. I figure Barry will like this one also. I'm not sure what possessed me to build this one, but I now have the 3-view printed out and the basic fuse framing drawn, so I guess I'm committed. The fuse keels are cut, and I'm working on the fuse formers now. It will pretty much have Guillows style framing, with a good of sculpting required in various places also.

This is a model of the plane, recently built by Tony Nijhuis:
Old 11-13-2012, 07:25 AM
baz49exe
Super Contributor

Great choice of another really unusual model Bill.
I'm really looking forward to seeing the build unfold.

"I'm not sure what possessed me to build this one, but I now have the 3-view printed out and the basic fuse framing drawn, so I guess I'm committed."

Good question, what is it that attracts you to a certain model when there are so many out there waiting to be built??

Barry
Old 11-14-2012, 03:28 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Originally Posted by baz49exe View Post
Great choice of another really unusual model Bill.
I'm really looking forward to seeing the build unfold.

"I'm not sure what possessed me to build this one, but I now have the 3-view printed out and the basic fuse framing drawn, so I guess I'm committed."

Good question, what is it that attracts you to a certain model when there are so many out there waiting to be built??

Barry
I think part of it is is like the rotation diet. After the Avro, I wanted something not quite so vintage with standard controls. I'm also trying to stick to unmodeled subjects as much as possible, which shortens the list a good bit. Other than the recent Tony Nihuis build, I haven't seen any builds of this plane. I also like to avoid twins due to the cost, but since I haven't built one in a while I figured it was time. It also makes the build more interesting when there are some unique design features that differ from the most conventional designs, such as the three rudders mounted on a tail boom structure, and the oddball overall shape. Somehow it came down to the Aerovan.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:59 AM
baz49exe
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
I think part of it is is like the rotation diet. After the Avro, I wanted something not quite so vintage with standard controls. I'm also trying to stick to unmodeled subjects as much as possible, which shortens the list a good bit. Other than the recent Tony Nihuis build, I haven't seen any builds of this plane. I also like to avoid twins due to the cost, but since I haven't built one in a while I figured it was time. It also makes the build more interesting when there are some unique design features that differ from the most conventional designs, such as the three rudders mounted on a tail boom structure, and the oddball overall shape. Somehow it came down to the Aerovan.
My thoughts exactly Bill, apart from the twins being expensive part. I now see multi engined planes as a far cheaper way of getting larger models airborne.
The examples I've built so far fly using very cheap power systems costing far less than the equivalent high power single motor system would have.
Talking " strange and unusual" subjects, for a next build I keep looking at the Westland Wendover and the FW-42. Ugly is beautiful, but then I do want to go four engined so the Halifax is also a strong contender. I just wish I could make my mind up.