Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Ga1500r +avian 100a esc combo troubles

Old 08-01-2022, 09:55 AM
Mota

Default Ga1500r +avian 100a esc combo troubles

Hi all I'm having trouble with the above combo during flight motor will cut-out for a few seconds then come back to life 3-4 times in a 5 min flight amps where high running a 16x8 prop so went down to a 16x7 97amps same problem then to a 15x6 at 88amps still the same problem. There is no tones coming from the esc to give me any signs of what is happening.
Has anyone had this problem?
what should I look into next guys
TIA
Old 08-01-2022, 04:25 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

My guess is the ESC is overheating rather than being overloaded. Is it getting sufficient airflow?
I note some of the 100a versions have a built in cooling fan. Even then it will still need a sufficient inlet air flow.
The components in an ESC are more sensitive to heat than a motor hence the need for a built in thermal cut out. It also generates almost as much heat as a motor so needs just as much cooling attention.
Is the battery up to the task? It could be the ESC low voltage cut out is operating and resetting as the battery voltage recovers.
Beyond that it could be the ESC itself that is faulty.
The only way to prove that would be to fit another similar ESC to see if the fault is cured..
Old 08-02-2022, 09:02 AM
Mota

Thanks quorneng esc has heaps of airflow and doesn't feel hot on landing. I'll look into the battery not being good enough I have a hrb 4000mah 60c so it should handle a 100amp draw easy unless I got a dodgy battery.
Old 08-04-2022, 09:59 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

I had the same thing happening on a plane. My mistake was not balancing the prop. It was a small plane and I was new at electrics.
the motor would shake around and I finally realized the ESC was receiving confusing signals from the motor.
I balanced the prop and it never happened again.

This may not be the cause of your problem, another thing to look at is the solder joints on the connections to the ESC, and check your connectors themselves. My best friend had Castle Creations 6mm bullets not making good contact when fully inserted. It caused a similar behavior to yours but more like stuttering we soldered the connectors and it ran smooth as glass.