Another new BALSA kitter! - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Another new BALSA kitter!

Old 08-13-2019, 08:28 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Default Another new BALSA kitter!

I found this posted on Flitetest.com by Rockyboy: https://willynillies.com/shop?olsPag...-aircraft-kits They've got some really cool 250 gram balsa kits. I'm getting ready to order at minimum the Barnstormer kit. Shipping costs are right in line with actual cost. They're new so I'm sure there will be more kits coming soon. Just thought I'd pass the word about them.

Joe
Old 08-14-2019, 06:11 AM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

I found THIS: https://willynillies.com/shop?olsPag...uper-sport-250 while snooping around the site and it wasn't listed for sale yet. I emailed about it. He posted it up and I ordered it. Hopefully here Friday. Looking forward to trying 2S UMX electronics. Can't beat the kit price.

Joe
Old 01-27-2020, 12:09 AM
adkbiker

New guy on the forum, getting back into RC after many years. Really enjoy building also models, but they seem hard to find now. There is something special about flying something you built. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:32 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Welcome back! Mountain Models is still kitting planes too.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:09 AM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Originally Posted by Don Sims View Post
Welcome back! Mountain Models is still kitting planes too.
No bigger Mountain Models supporter than me since 2000/2001 way back when Doug Binder created it. Lately it just seems Brian has walked away from the business after finishing his degree and getting a good paying engineering job. (Can't blame him really) Too many people are reporting they're unable to get kits shipped. It's a shame too as I'd like to buy a few more kits from him.

Joe
Old 01-27-2020, 11:02 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Dang Joe, hate to hear that.
Old 01-27-2020, 04:38 PM
adkbiker

Some interesting balsa kits from Stevens AeroModel:

https://www.stevensaero.com/product-...airplane-kits/
Old 01-28-2020, 04:49 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

In addition to the Super Sport 250 I finished up the Eaglet 250 based on the now out of production Goldberg Eaglet 50. I posted the raw video of the maiden on YouTube. I found out all of my old small packs were trash after not being used for 2-3 years but I did manage to get the maiden in. I just got a bunch of new packs and am trying to get a chance to fly again and get a better video.

My plane is currently the one shown on the website. Ne has some incredibly cool 3D printed copies of the Cox .020 and ,049 that look awesome on these kits. I've also come up with a 3D printed steerable nose gear for these smaller birds. The .stl file is posted on ThingiVerse. I'm starting on the Jr.Skylark 250 next. It's worth taking a look at WillyNillies.com

The picture shows the Eaglet 250 sitting on my Eaglet 50 to show the size difference. YouTube video

Joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0018.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	187836  
Old 02-10-2020, 03:59 AM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

This post is closing in on 6,000 views and no real interest. Is no one even remotely interested in actually BUILDING their own plane anymore? Flying a bARF that a 12 year old Chinese slave laborer constructed is just not for me. I prefer to put a little of myself into my hobby.

Joe
Old 02-10-2020, 04:33 AM
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Small to average sized models
www.rbckits.com / www.rc-builder.com

Large models
www.rc-europe.eu

Edit: oops, sorry Joe, I mistakenly took this thread for a compilation of balsa kitters. Time to hit the sack, it's 4:35am here. And stormy.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:43 AM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Originally Posted by ron_van_sommeren View Post
Small to average sized models
www.rbckits.com / www.rc-builder.com

Large models
www.rc-europe.eu
Thanks for the links Ron but here in the USA the FAA has put a weight limit of 250 grams on R/C aircraft before you have to register with the FAA. I prefer to avoid any and all federal bureaucracy and especially not give them any more personal info than necessary.These Willy Nillies kits are cheap, cover all the bases for me and they're a blast to fly in a small area.

Joe
Old 02-10-2020, 03:13 PM
Abuelo

Originally Posted by Turbojoe View Post
This post is closing in on 6,000 views and no real interest. Is no one even remotely interested in actually BUILDING their own plane anymore? Flying a bARF that a 12 year old Chinese slave laborer constructed is just not for me. I prefer to put a little of myself into my hobby.

Joe
Joe, I'll be balsa building again in a couple weeks, once I clear the workbench of unrelated projects and say goodbye to visiting family. There is a build contest on another forum I'd like to join.

But in the meantime, if you ever wander Tempe way, stop by. Have a rack full of wings and a wall of fuselages, some complete, some not. Need to get away from the 250 + gram jobbies so most of these will have to go.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2221.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	3.87 MB
ID:	187869   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2222.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	3.86 MB
ID:	187870  
Old 02-10-2020, 07:47 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Originally Posted by Abuelo View Post
Joe, I'll be balsa building again in a couple weeks, once I clear the workbench of unrelated projects and say goodbye to visiting family. There is a build contest on another forum I'd like to join.

But in the meantime, if you ever wander Tempe way, stop by. Have a rack full of wings and a wall of fuselages, some complete, some not. Need to get away from the 250 + gram jobbies so most of these will have to go.
Hey, I'm in the same boat as you. 50+ aircraft not counting helicopters. Many ready to fly with just a battery. Unfortunately all of them are well over the FAA weight limit. Screw the FAA though. I still sneak in flying one now and then at an undisclosed area.

Joe
Old 02-11-2020, 03:28 PM
chops1sc
Soaring higher than ever!

Sorry to hijack but does anyone have a recommendation for a first-time balsa kit builder? I have only flown EPO trainers and warbirds before so this is very new territory for me.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:19 PM
adkbiker

Originally Posted by chops1sc View Post
Sorry to hijack but does anyone have a recommendation for a first-time balsa kit builder? I have only flown EPO trainers and warbirds before so this is very new territory for me.
SIG make some good balsa kits:

https://sigmfg.com/collections/sig-kits

They have been in the business a long time and their instruction manuals are very good. I have a 1/4 scale cub and a 40 size Kadet. I have also built, but no longer own, a Señorita.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:24 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

You need to give us a size range that you are interested in and how much you are willing to spend. (as little as possible doesn't work!)

Joe
Old 02-12-2020, 01:49 PM
chops1sc

Originally Posted by Turbojoe View Post
You need to give us a size range that you are interested in and how much you are willing to spend. (as little as possible doesn't work!)

Joe
Although "easy" is a relative term, I am definitely looking for something easy. I would like to stay in the 36" to 48" range with electric power (smaller is not out of the question and probably where I should be looking TBH). I think anything under $200 is doable. I can't imagine a kit for a beginner costing a lot of money but since I really have very little knowledge of this side of the hobby That could be wishful thinking, LOL!
Old 02-12-2020, 02:04 PM
adkbiker

Although "easy" is a relative term, I am definitely looking for something easy. I would like to stay in the 36" to 48" range with electric power (smaller is not out of the question and probably where I should be looking TBH). I think anything under $200 is doable. I can't imagine a kit for a beginner costing a lot of money but since I really have very little knowledge of this side of the hobby That could be wishful thinking, LOL!
This 48" wingspan kit designed for electric is $103:

https://sigmfg.com/collections/sig-k...star-20-ep-kit

But you will easily get to $200 if you need to also buy electric power components, covering, wheels, and building tools that you may not have, e.g., a covering iron.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:53 PM
chops1sc

Thanks for the link! What is most likely to happen is I would buy and build the kit to the point where I have to buy the next thing, buy that thing, and continue building. I probably have the majority of the stuff I would need to build it, but I know there are a lot of other tools I would need to buy and I think of that stuff as investments. The $200 is just a mental barrier that keeps me in check. It is too easy to spend money in this hobby and I ALWAYS go all out when I get heavily involved in a hobby.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:05 PM
adkbiker

Thanks for the link! What is most likely to happen is I would buy and build the kit to the point where I have to buy the next thing, buy that thing, and continue building. I probably have the majority of the stuff I would need to build it, but I know there are a lot of other tools I would need to buy and I think of that stuff as investments. The $200 is just a mental barrier that keeps me in check. It is too easy to spend money in this hobby and I ALWAYS go all out when I get heavily involved in a hobby.
If you scroll down the SIG kit descriptions you can download the instruction manual to get some idea of what's involved and other items you need to complete the build.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/22...18709039042179
Old 02-12-2020, 04:35 PM
chops1sc

Looks like I would only need an iron and a flat building board. My workbench is definitely NOT the best place for building. I've been wanting to replace the top anyway.

Thanks for the info!
Old 02-12-2020, 04:40 PM
adkbiker

Looks like I would only need an iron and a flat building board. My workbench is definitely NOT the best place for building. I've been wanting to replace the top anyway.

Thanks for the info!
I've used the back side of a 2x4 ceiling tile as a building board. You can put wax paper over the plans to keep parts from sticking. You can buy "T-Pins" to hold the balsa parts together during the gluing process.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:51 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Sig and Carl Goldberg hands down have the best beginner targeted build manuals and plan sheets. Back around 1980 I watched my buddy fly his R/C plane and I was hooked. He suggested the Goldberg Eaglet 50 kit. He offered to help with the build but after looking through the manual I decided to try it unaided. I built the plane arrow straight and even covered it with zero assistance. I did have him do the maiden flight though. After he took off I asked him how it was flying. He just held the transmitter up in one hand. It was flying hands off with no trim. A testament to the kit and its instructions. My only R/C experience before that was with cars and boats.

I love that Eaglet 50 so much that about 14 years ago I bought another kit and used it as a template to cut and scratch build another kit completely from balsa and for electric. The only hardwood is the firewall and the main gear mount. It flys amazing on a beat up old E-Flight 480 motor. The kit is out of production but you can still find them for good priced. The only "negative" is that they are die cut rather than laser cut. It's not a big deal though. Everybody is just spoiled on laser cutting now.

Here's the maiden video:

Joe
Old 02-12-2020, 04:56 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

The Willy Nillies kits in my first post couldn't be easier to build BUT they don't have instructions yet. There are videos on the website and a lot of us doing build threads on FliteTest. com. You could buy everything minus TX and RX from him for under $100.00!
Check out this link for the build threads. LINK

Joe
Old 02-15-2020, 11:06 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Default Yet another Willy Nillies kit maiden.

I'm starting to get the vibe that the Wattflyer subscriber is only foam or b.A.R.F. interested. Well here goes yet another balsa conversion attempt.This video is unedited of the maiden of my Willy Nillies Jr. Skylark 250 kit. YES, I had to actually BUILD and COVER it! I didn't pull it from a box, plug in a battery and fly something that I had ZERO involvement in its creation. If BUILDING and flying a balsa airplane doesn't interest you then please just move on WITHOUT NEGATIVE COMMENT. I love it and I'm sure a few more may want to cross the line and see what balsa building is all about. There are a ton of people just waiting to help on several forums. The most helpful by far is believe it or not a mostly foam website and the link is https://forum.flitetest.com/index.ph...-breakers.119/ So many good people there that I closed my RC Groups account after 17+ years! Take a walk on the balsa side. We're all here to help you succeed. And you will.....

Joe

Quick Reply: Another new BALSA kitter!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10348 seconds with 16 queries