Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion) Discuss I/C or Gas Conversions, Aerobatic Planes and Sport Aircraft

70% Astro Hog scratchbuild - Finished!

Old 05-17-2011, 11:08 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Can't believe I missed this thread - Great Hog Aramid!
Old 04-19-2022, 04:00 PM
gameengineer

Great work! I recently acquired this kit and was looking for someone who chronicled their landing gear modifications. I want to mount the gear to the fuse in the tail dragger configuration. Will use Saito FA-80 engine.
Old 04-19-2022, 04:54 PM
aramid

I strongly recommend the conventional gear. The particular blue-and-white Hog I chronicled here is a bit of a different situation, because it's a scaled-down, ultra-lightweight electric variant, but I've also had two of the good ol' Sig 60-size Hog kits. Both of the 60-size models started with the wire tricycle gear, and I hated them. The wire nosewheel is just not very robust and tends to collapse on a hard landing, and the wire main gear sticking out of the wing makes the wing very frustrating to store and transport. I converted both to taildragger and never looked back, which is why I did the same on this electric one. The tricycle gear has better ground handling on a smooth runway, but the taildragger is more durable, handles rough runways (and abuse) better, and is overall easier to store and transport.
Old 04-20-2022, 03:48 AM
gameengineer

Originally Posted by aramid View Post
I strongly recommend the conventional gear. The particular blue-and-white Hog I chronicled here is a bit of a different situation, because it's a scaled-down, ultra-lightweight electric variant, but I've also had two of the good ol' Sig 60-size Hog kits. Both of the 60-size models started with the wire tricycle gear, and I hated them. The wire nosewheel is just not very robust and tends to collapse on a hard landing, and the wire main gear sticking out of the wing makes the wing very frustrating to store and transport. I converted both to taildragger and never looked back, which is why I did the same on this electric one. The tricycle gear has better ground handling on a smooth runway, but the taildragger is more durable, handles rough runways (and abuse) better, and is overall easier to store and transport.
Great, I'm making the right decision. I've read too many things from people (who aren't pure-ists and say not using the kit supplied wire gear thus keeping the look of the original hog is anathema!) who say the tail dragger configuration using the kit supplied wire main gear either breaks, bends or bounces the plane. I want to order some. I can go off of my Sig 4*60 main gear size if the Hog is similar but you have done it already. What size did you use? The important dimensions are height and width or wheelbase.
Thanks!

-Steve
Old 04-20-2022, 09:47 PM
aramid

Unfortunately, my 60-size Hog is in storage and not somewhere I can easily measure; the blue Hog in this thread is scaled down. You should be safe basing your gear on the 4-Star; it's pretty close to the Hog in size, as long as both are the 60-size. Or just do whatever looks right, which is how I did both of these in the first place.
Old 04-20-2022, 09:48 PM
gameengineer

Originally Posted by aramid View Post
Unfortunately, my 60-size Hog is in storage and not somewhere I can easily measure; the blue Hog in this thread is scaled down. You should be safe basing your gear on the 4-Star; it's pretty close to the Hog in size, as long as both are the 60-size.
No worries, thanks. I can measure off the plans too. Just thought of that.