ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Mountain Models/Laser Arts Appreciation Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 02:36 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Thanks Joe, you are too kind. BTW, I just checked my "secret" FS forum and he doesn't have a 480.

Frank
Old 01-21-2008, 02:22 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Slow thread. Not too many Mountian Models fans here?

Here is my MM Tyro 100 I just recently completed.

The Tyro has to be one of the best flying planes I have ever flown.

Lets see some more MM planes fellas!

Frank

Last edited by Murocflyer; 10-29-2013 at 05:08 AM.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:30 PM
mararra

Default J-3 Cub

Hey, Count me in! I'm working on a J-3 Cub, first complete balsa build for me. I cut my teeth on a Steven's "Stik" which was a piece of cake and a really sweet flyer. Keep in mind I'm a noob; my only prior flying experience was with a HZ Super Cub which got me started in this hobby.
Back to the J-3. I have the fuse framed up and am about to start the tail. I am happy with the kit so far, but the fit of the parts is not as precise as those on my "Stik". Being a Noob, I've had a few glitches where the instructions wern't crystal clear, but that's just part of the learnin process . Here's a pic of what I've done so far.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:11 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

mararra,

Looking good so far.....I may need to consider the J3 for my next balsa build......
Old 01-22-2008, 01:35 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

I agree. Looking good so far! Keep us posted with pics and progress if you don't mind. This is the first J3 I've seen built.

Frank
Old 01-22-2008, 04:24 AM
griffin

Marrara , Thats a great shot of that beautiful J3 structure.

I just dug up some old shots of my Dandy and added them to post #2.

-Steve
Old 01-23-2008, 02:18 AM
mararra

Oh the pressure . With all you guys watchin, guess my " good enough" attitude won't cut it. Looks like there's lots of help, or at least encouragement if I get stuck. This is a busy week at the office, so I won't have much to report till after the weekend.
Stay tuned...
M
Old 01-23-2008, 02:30 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Don't let us rattle you M, but I do advise to do the best you can. You'll feel much better about your plane if you do. I typically go in with a "that's good enough" attitude, but once I get working on it and posting some pics, it makes me take much more care.

Frank
Old 01-26-2008, 01:24 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

How is it coming Mararra?

Where are all those other MM planes? I know there has to be more out there!

Frank
Old 01-26-2008, 01:53 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Frank,

I plan on ordering the MM J3 (either the full size, to cover in military scheme, or the clipped, with a civilian scheme) in the future. I'll be sure to document it here on WF, of course.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:44 AM
mararra

Not much progress this week, too many distractions with fund raising (work). Hope to get on with it Sunday.
M
Old 01-26-2008, 08:26 PM
buzzltyr

OK, Frank, here ya go! I'm posting up all the pics of the many, many MM planes I've built. I couldn't find any pics of the two Switchbacks, two C-180's. two Dandys, two Duskstiks, the Miniflash, the Tyro100, the Hellcat, the P-38 and the DL50 I've also built. So that's thirteen more MM planes I've built. Am I obsessed? Perhaps........

Mark
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	black pearl 3.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	433.5 KB
ID:	53635   Click image for larger version

Name:	etana side.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	53636   Click image for larger version

Name:	eva bipe.jpg.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	53637   Click image for larger version

Name:	evaspt#1.jpg.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	53638   Click image for larger version

Name:	LAP51 side.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	53639  

Click image for larger version

Name:	milsmthe2.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	53640   Click image for larger version

Name:	MMcub.jpg.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	53641   Click image for larger version

Name:	panic side.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	53642   Click image for larger version

Name:	smoothe1.jpg.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	53643   Click image for larger version

Name:	tyro150.jpg.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	53644  

Old 01-26-2008, 08:30 PM
buzzltyr

Two more of my current version of the Eva Sport, covered in a Spacewalker scheme. They wouldn't fit in the prior post!

Mark

Name:	side 2.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	53646   Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	53647  
Old 01-26-2008, 08:37 PM
buzzltyr

I forgot that I also just finished, and maidened a Flashback this morning. A couple of pics of it as well. And I've got a NIB Clipped Wing Cub kit I hope to build before spring.

As I said, perhaps a tad obsessed.....:o

Mark

Name:	finished1.jpg.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	53648   Click image for larger version

Name:	finished2.jpg.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	53649  
Old 01-26-2008, 09:31 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Now we are talking! Great looking planes Mark!!!

Thanks for sharing.

Frank

PS There are worse things to be obsessed about.

BTW Can you pick your top three favorites?
Old 01-26-2008, 11:28 PM
buzzltyr

Hi Frank,
Top three favorites is a tough one. It would change over time as I built more and more MM kits. Out of the current fleet, I would have to say the SmoothE, the SBSr, and the Eva Sport. I learned to fly with a Duskstik, so that one holds a very special place. I enjoyed both my Switchbacks, a lot. I enjoyed both my Dandys, and think about building another one to use as a night flyer, equipped with LED's. I would have to say that my favorite MM plane, though is the SmoothE. I am just very comfortable with it, and find it just to be a great plane to throw around the sky. It doesn't do everything, but for basic sport flying it is just perfect, imho. My original, built as a beta for Doug Binder when he owned MM, is still flying. I gave it to a flying buddy who had a bad spell where he was crashing a lot of his planes, when I built my latest one (the military schemed one). Today I flew the SmoothE as the warm up for my Flashback maiden. I need more flights on the FB, but it, too, has the potential for being a favorite, once I get more comfortable with it. Unfortunately, you just can't go wrong with a MM airplane, which I guess is why I've got so many.....

Mark
Old 02-05-2008, 03:13 AM
mararra

Default Progress report J-3 Cub

Haven't made too much progress. About done with the fuse. Started to cover it tonite; only got the bottom done. I didn't like the way the framing showed thru the covering so I decided to mist a coat of yellow paint on it before covering. It painted well, but had no effect as far as hiding the framing. Oh well, at least the inside will be semi -finished :o. The landing gear fabrication was interesting. Took my time and I think it turned out fairly well. I'm finding the instructions are a bit sketchy for a noob like me, but careful examination of the plans and experimentation seems to to be paying off. Still a bit concerned about covering the sides. The transition from the flat surfaces around the cabin to the stringers going aft has me particularly concerned. What's the worst that can happen? If it don't look right I'll just peel it off and try it a different way....that's why I bought two rolls of covering . Here's a couple a pics.

painted Yeller

Landing gear assembly

M
Old 02-05-2008, 03:35 AM
mararra

Red face

Guess I better figure out how to do them expandin pics. :o
Old 02-05-2008, 08:43 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Originally Posted by buzzltyr View Post
Hi Frank,
Top three favorites is a tough one. It would change over time as I built more and more MM kits. Out of the current fleet, I would have to say the SmoothE, the SBSr, and the Eva Sport. I learned to fly with a Duskstik, so that one holds a very special place. I enjoyed both my Switchbacks, a lot. I enjoyed both my Dandys, and think about building another one to use as a night flyer, equipped with LED's. I would have to say that my favorite MM plane, though is the SmoothE. I am just very comfortable with it, and find it just to be a great plane to throw around the sky. It doesn't do everything, but for basic sport flying it is just perfect, imho. My original, built as a beta for Doug Binder when he owned MM, is still flying. I gave it to a flying buddy who had a bad spell where he was crashing a lot of his planes, when I built my latest one (the military schemed one). Today I flew the SmoothE as the warm up for my Flashback maiden. I need more flights on the FB, but it, too, has the potential for being a favorite, once I get more comfortable with it. Unfortunately, you just can't go wrong with a MM airplane, which I guess is why I've got so many.....

Mark
Sorry to put you on the spot Mark. You handled it well though. Tough to pick 3 favorites out of all those great planes as they have differently personalities I'm sure. Kinda like saying to pick a favorite child.

Thanks for sharing those picks with us.

Frank
Old 02-05-2008, 08:47 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Originally Posted by mararra View Post
Haven't made too much progress. About done with the fuse. Started to cover it tonite; only got the bottom done. I didn't like the way the framing showed thru the covering so I decided to mist a coat of yellow paint on it before covering. It painted well, but had no effect as far as hiding the framing. Oh well, at least the inside will be semi -finished :o. The landing gear fabrication was interesting. Took my time and I think it turned out fairly well. I'm finding the instructions are a bit sketchy for a noob like me, but careful examination of the plans and experimentation seems to to be paying off. Still a bit concerned about covering the sides. The transition from the flat surfaces around the cabin to the stringers going aft has me particularly concerned. What's the worst that can happen? If it don't look right I'll just peel it off and try it a different way....that's why I bought two rolls of covering . Here's a couple a pics.

M
Looking good M. But I do think you will get to like the look of balsa through the covering film. If not, you can get different covering and it won't show through so much. What type are you using?

Covering is definitely a skill, but I'm sure you will do fine. (It's my least favorite part of the build).

Thanks for the progress report and keep up the good work.

Frank
Old 02-05-2008, 02:00 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
Looking good M. But I do think you will get to like the look of balsa through the covering film. If not, you can get different covering and it won't show through so much. What type are you using?

Covering is definitely a skill, but I'm sure you will do fine. (It's my least favorite part of the build).

Thanks for the progress report and keep up the good work.

Frank
So far, SANDING is MY least favorite.......

Bu then, I haven't started covering yet......
Old 02-06-2008, 01:45 AM
delsol

Frank,
I'll try to take a few pic's of my MM planes this weekend. All I can say is that I've enjoyed building these planes and hope to build a few more.
Brad
Old 02-06-2008, 08:53 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Originally Posted by delsol View Post
Frank,
I'll try to take a few pic's of my MM planes this weekend. All I can say is that I've enjoyed building these planes and hope to build a few more.
Brad
Brad,

We'd love to see them. I happen to think MMs has to be one of the top 5 kit builders/dealers in the USA. They make such wonderful kits/planes. I'm not surprised that anyone that who enjoys building doesn't have one or two kits under their belt.

I am also surprised this thread poll doesn't attest to that fact.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29957

Frank
Old 02-06-2008, 12:25 PM
mararra

As for covering, i'm using Solite. It is what was recommended by MM, and the only brand I've had any experience with. My first build was a Stevens STIK which I covered in the same type material. It's easy to use, but I really would have preferred a more opaque material.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:37 PM
delsol

Thought I would add to the pic's on this threat. In the the pic we have my old trusty MagPie that I take out when the weather isn't the best. My little 180 Cessna that flies like a dream. The Eva that was the best plane in my fleet until the SBSr came along. Anyone who has built or flown a MM plane knows what I'm talking about.I will be adding more as time goes on.
Brad

Name:	HPIM0244.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	55121   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0245.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	55122   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0246.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	55123  

Quick Reply: Mountain Models/Laser Arts Appreciation Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11998 seconds with 28 queries