ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Mountain Models/Laser Arts Appreciation Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 04:34 AM
buzzltyr

GFD, I've built and flown both the J-3 and the ACE. I have a Clipped wing Cub kit sitting under my bench waiting for some attention.

I guess the first question I'd ask is do you want scale or non-scale? That would make the choice between the two kits listed easy!

So the next question is what are you primarily interested in? A scale ship that is fairly aerobatic, or an all out sport aerobatic ship? Even though I haven't flown the CWCub, I've had enough conversations about it with Brian (head MM honcho), to know that it does all the basic aerobatics pretty well.

Both kits come with great instructions, good wood, terrific laser cutting, and thoughtful design. If you've built a Miss Stik, you should have no problems building either one.

Mark
Old 01-07-2009, 03:27 PM
JustPlaneCrazy

Default j-3 cub power question

Hi everyone
My first attempt at kit building is in transit, a mountain models j3 cub. I'm hoping that it is as good as it appears to be, hopefully my building skills are as good as I think they are. I'm thinking that the cub would make a good AP platform. To that end, I'm wondering if I should boost the power system a little to account for any extra weight? Has anyone used their cub for AP? If so, what motor/ESC/battery combo are you running? Would a 2s lipo be fine or go with a 3s? Since the kit hasn't even arrived yet, I have some time before I need to order from HeadsUp. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 01-07-2009, 03:48 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by buzzltyr View Post
GFD, I've built and flown both the J-3 and the ACE. I have a Clipped wing Cub kit sitting under my bench waiting for some attention.

I guess the first question I'd ask is do you want scale or non-scale? That would make the choice between the two kits listed easy!

So the next question is what are you primarily interested in? A scale ship that is fairly aerobatic, or an all out sport aerobatic ship? Even though I haven't flown the CWCub, I've had enough conversations about it with Brian (head MM honcho), to know that it does all the basic aerobatics pretty well.

Both kits come with great instructions, good wood, terrific laser cutting, and thoughtful design. If you've built a Miss Stik, you should have no problems building either one.

Mark
Hey Mark,

Thanks, and sorry I did not see this earlier. Not sure how I did not see it, but it HAS been busy.....

I have decided on the CW Cub. Based on what I have heard about the relative ease of the build, and, darnit, I just like the look of it. That, and EVERYONE, it seems, has a regular Cub.....

My wife has been provided the link to order one for my birthday at the end of the month. Hopefully I will be doing a build thread soon.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

You're in for a treat! Brian let me fly his clipped wing Cub at last years AEF. It was awesome until a funky ESC cut the flight short. What a nice bird!

I already have several Cubs and am waiting for Brian to get a break to work on his Super Cub. I'll grab that kit in a heartbeat!

I have built at least one or more of almost everything in the Mountain Models lineup. There's a very good reason I stay with Mountain Models kits. They always build easy and they always fly great. Probably the biggest plus is the customer support he provides. Beginners will find that if they make a post with a question it'll either be answered by one of his legions of fans or by Brian himself. You made a very wise choice in this purchase! Brian always tests his aircraft and power systems before making recommendations. I STRONGLY suggest going with his recommendations!

Joe
Old 01-07-2009, 04:04 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Joe,

I hate to ask something you may have already posted somewhere else, and if so, please feel free to point me to a link. Can you describe the flight characteristics of the Clipped Wing Cub? I'm more of a scale flyer, not a 3S enthusiast, and thought the CW might be a nice bird for everyday at the field, as well as a nice fun fly flier.

Thoughts?
Old 01-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
Joe,

I hate to ask something you may have already posted somewhere else, and if so, please feel free to point me to a link. Can you describe the flight characteristics of the Clipped Wing Cub? I'm more of a scale flyer, not a 3S enthusiast, and thought the CW might be a nice bird for everyday at the field, as well as a nice fun fly flier.

Thoughts?
That was almost a year ago and I only got a very few minutes before the ESC went whacko but what I remember is being very surprised at how smoothly a clipped wing version flew. Especially at the super light weight that is typical for MM planes. The one roll I did was fast and smooth. I'd love to get one but just can't justify having three Cubs in the hangar right now. I do need a real Super Cub kit though.........

Joe
Old 01-07-2009, 04:22 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Thanks Joe. If you want to get rid of a Cub, I can volunteer to keep one for you. I promise it will be given a loving home.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:36 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
Thanks Joe. If you want to get rid of a Cub, I can volunteer to keep one for you. I promise it will be given a loving home.
The Cubs I have are NOT Mountain Models and boy are they heavy! That's why I'm looking forward to the Super Cub when Brian gets a chance to finish it up.

Joe
Old 01-07-2009, 04:41 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JustPlaneCrazy View Post
Hi everyone
My first attempt at kit building is in transit, a mountain models j3 cub. I'm hoping that it is as good as it appears to be, hopefully my building skills are as good as I think they are. I'm thinking that the cub would make a good AP platform. To that end, I'm wondering if I should boost the power system a little to account for any extra weight? Has anyone used their cub for AP? If so, what motor/ESC/battery combo are you running? Would a 2s lipo be fine or go with a 3s? Since the kit hasn't even arrived yet, I have some time before I need to order from HeadsUp. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
JPC,

Good luck with your build! Hopefully you will let us watch along with a build thread. As for a power system, you can send a message to Jeff at HeadsUpRC thru his website (www.headsuprc.com) and he should be able to give you some ideas for appropriate motor/ESC combos.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:37 PM
buzzltyr

Originally Posted by JustPlaneCrazy View Post
Hi everyone
Thanks
The 2S/3S issue will be decided by your motor choice, pretty much.

The MM J-3 Cub builds into a very lightweight model. I'm not sure I'd recommend it for an AP ship, unless you are just going to strap a small, lightweight camera on the side. There is not a huge amount of bottom clearance, as it has scale gear, and is designed with 8-9" props in mind.
It is more of a scale parkflyer than an AP ship. I'm sure it can be modded for that purpose, but it wouldn't be my first choice for an AP platform. On the other hand, there's a guy who has flown the smaller Tyro as an AP platform, and has done some amazing photography with it. And he did it all on a cheap GWS brushed motor. So I'm sure it would be possible.

Mark
Old 03-03-2009, 07:38 AM
SKYPILEIT
~ I respect the roll ~

Default New Mini..

My second Mini-Flash...interesting design with HUGE wing area & solid control surfaces.This one is using a 4.27:1 geared 4200kv Mamba with 9X7.5 prop for 180 watts & 15.7 oz,so it should be alot of fun.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01009.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	95326   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01007.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	95327  
Old 03-07-2009, 02:51 PM
mararra

Talking Dandy Sport Maiden

SUCCESS
We finally caught a weather break this morning; 35 degrees and 1-2 mph winds. Been waitin for a month to maiden a Dandy Sport. It was an uneventful flight. Took off straight and smooth; no trim needed. What can I say? This plane is, well......DANDY .
Photos and specs will come later; left my camera at work
M
Old 03-23-2009, 12:11 AM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Default Another Dandy Maiden!

This is a repost from the beginners forum, but I thought it should be here too.

Well, I did it! I've been slowly building my Dandy for about 6 weeks. This was my first kit build since my Guillows balsa and tissue builds about 30 years ago. (I still regret getting rid of my Guillow P40 line control with a .049 Cox Black Widow when my parents sold their old house about 15 years ago...) This was the first time I used CA on balsa. What an easy way to build. It sure beats the pins and slow drying wood glue I used to use.

I modified the Dandy slightly because of the parts I already had. I reused the PZ 3D Radio TX and RX, servos, ESC and battery. Since the ESC is for brushless motors I bought a small GWS 2208-18T outrunner motor and created my own solid wall basswood motor mount. I used two pieces of basswood glued together crossed gained and added lots of holes for wires and ventilation. Also, the servos from the PK 3D are larger than the recommended HS-55s so I had to expand the servo tray slightly as well. I reused my PZ 9 cell NI-MH batteries, so the entire plane is a little heavier than recommended. I was thinking that the additional power over the recommended setup would more than make up for the extra weight and I guessed right!

This evening was a sunny calm one, so I thought it was time. I took the Dandy to the local school yard where I have been flying and got setup. All controls seemed level, the engine is armed, I walk back for a quick radio check and all is well. 90% throttle and the Dandy jumps into the air! I start backing off the throttle and circling back when odd things start happening. The controls are erratic and the motor is cutting in and out. I start panicking! I barely get the plane down in one piece. Whatís wrong??? Ohh, I forgot to extend the antenna on my transmitter. I SHOULD HAVE PRINTED OUT AEAJRs rules of a successful flight! Felling sheepish and very glad that I did not bring anyone with me, I do an extended distance check this time. 3/4 of the distance across the school yard. (60 yards maybe) Everything still works. (I think, itís hard to tell from that distance.) Now I wish I did bring someone with me.

Itís time to try again and now I am really nervous. 90% throttle and the plane jumps up again. This time, no problems! I discover that the Dandy flies really well. I donít really need any trim at all. I fly most of the time at about 25% throttle. Thatís more than enough to keep her up. She even still glides on no power really well. She handles the extra weight very well. I finally land after about 10 minutes without any problems on grass. It seemed like I was flying for years, but only about 10 minutes according to my watch. The battery still has a fair amount of power in it, judged by the feel of going 100% throttle while holding on to her, but Itís time for battery number two.
I flew with battery number two without any problems too! I am hooked again and canít wait for daylight and another calm day!

Thanks again too everyone who posts here on WattFlyer!
Steve

Name:	Dandy.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	600.1 KB
ID:	97043  
Old 03-23-2009, 03:28 AM
mararra

Congrats Slabuta! That is a dandy Dandy.
I agree, it's a real friendly plane to fly. Did you have a COG problem with that motor being so far forward? My setup was very similar, and I had to keep the LIPO battery and rx all the way aft as far as they would go just to get the COG close. Still balances about 1/8th" ahead of forward most recommeded COG. Flys well though. I built it as an aileron trainer for my son. I sent it to him just last week, and as of yet have not heard a flight report. I'm not too worried, cause we both earned our wings on the good ole Hobbico Super Cub. I think the Dandy is actually easier to fly.

fly well,
M
Old 03-23-2009, 11:22 AM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default A Couple More MM Kits

Hi Everyone, here's my two Mountain Models kits, a Cessna 180 + Quik Flik II DLG. Both covered with MicroLite, there's a bulid thread for the QFII on the "Sailplane" Forum;
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36439
Ron

Name:	IMG_0783.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	97109   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0785.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	97110   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0843.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	97111   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0849.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	97112   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0842.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	97113  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0851.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	97114  
Old 03-23-2009, 12:04 PM
mararra

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sky Sharkster View Post
Hi Everyone, here's my two Mountain Models kits, a Cessna 180 + Quik Flik II DLG. Both covered with MicroLite, there's a bulid thread for the QFII on the "Sailplane" Forum;
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36439
Ron
Now that Cessna is NICE! Been thinkin about one of these, but I was put off by the recommended power system and small size of the plane. It looks like you may have put a brushless motor in yours?

M
Old 03-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Default Re: Dandy Dandy

Originally Posted by mararra View Post
Did you have a COG problem with that motor being so far forward? My setup was very similar, and I had to keep the LIPO battery and rx all the way aft as far as they would go just to get the COG close.
mararra,

I was worried about that too, so I just cut back the nose of the plane a little. I kept the final prop location the same. I've also used larger and heaver servos than the recommended HS-55s. So in order to get the CG correct I actually need to keep the battery forward. I also broke down and bought a 800 mah 3S LiPo battery which is about 6-7 ozs lighter than my old battery. Now it really flys great! I also have a sport wing to try out soon!

Steve
Old 03-24-2009, 12:47 AM
mararra

Originally Posted by slabuta View Post
mararra,

I was worried about that too, so I just cut back the nose of the plane a little. I kept the final prop location the same. I've also used larger and heaver servos than the recommended HS-55s. So in order to get the CG correct I actually need to keep the battery forward. I also broke down and bought a 800 mah 3S LiPo battery which is about 6-7 ozs lighter than my old battery. Now it really flys great! I also have a sport wing to try out soon!

Steve
Ahhh, you're a wise man. I didn't think about the possibility of it being nose heavy till I was installin the motor
Fly well,
M
Old 03-24-2009, 01:31 AM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Cessna 180 Upgrade

Hello Mararra,
Thanks! The "180" is one of my favorite planes to fly, very reliable and relaxing.
Yes, I upgraded to a brushless "300" sized motor and matching ESC, from here;
http://milehighrc.com/brushless300XT.html Scroll down the page for combo, $34.00.
And the thread on this model, with several great flight shots by Franny, is here;
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20995
The model is basically stock, except for the power system, I use 2s 800Mah LiPos. The balance is fine, just shifted the batteries slightly for trim.
The kit, like all MM's, is a joy to build and fly. There's details regarding the motor mount on the thread, as well as a list of equipment used.
Hope you try one, you'll enjoy it!
Ron
Old 03-24-2009, 01:56 AM
mararra

Thanks Sky! That link to your build is great. I think I might have seen it in passing some time ago. Like I said I scratched the Cessna off the list when I was lookin for a plane to build last year. After reading your comments, I'm gonna take another look. I've built the MM J-3, a couple EZ's, and a Dandy. Not a bad one in the bunch.
If the Cessna flys as good as my EZ Cub, I'm sold.
Gotta go do some research, thanks again.
M
Old 06-27-2009, 03:59 AM
mararra

Default J-3 Cub...a year later

Thought I'd post an update regarding my MM J-3 Cub. Anyone that reads my ealier posts about the maiden and early flights of my J-3 may get the impression that it's a bit tricky to fly; and understandably so.
Here's the rest of the story. Most of the trouble I was having was due to my "novice" flying status, as I'm sure some of you more experienced flyers probably already deduced In my defense, the original power setup was marginal; about 70 watts, with an all up weight of 19 oz. Since most of my flight experience was on a Hobbico SuperCub and a Stevens "STIK", both over powered, I was used to using the throttle to get out of trouble. Needless to say, at about 50 watts/ lb. with the original setup, there was just not enough reserve power to get out of low altitude stall trouble. After the maiden, I flew a couple more times, coming close to disaster more than once, then decided to set it on the shelf before I trashed it.
As my flying skills and knowledge improved thru the summer, I decided to repower with a Turnigy 2409-18T. Using a 3S Lipo I was able to get 175 watts out of this setup. So, on the last day of August, 2008 up it went once again. Wow, what a difference in power! Still a hairy bugger to get off the ground though; ground loops were common. But, plenty of power to get outta stall trouble

Fast forward to June, 2008. Still have the "hi power" setup, but no more stall trouble or ground looping on takeoff. What made the difference? I LEARNED TO FLY IT I have logged more flight time in June than I had the entire previous year. Ran several batteries thru the Cub and it flew better and better The MM J-3 is a fantastic looking plane and flies at least as good as it looks, providing the pilot is moderatly competent. Ground looping is no longer an issue; long slow scale like takeoffs off pavement are not difficult; just a matter of throttle management and light fingers on the rudder. Landing is almost hands free in calm conditions. Stalling is not an issue either once I learned what the slow flight characteristics and limits were.

Moral of the story: If you build it right, and it wont fly, it ain't the plane, it's the PILOT
Every Mountain Models plane I have, has been a joy to build and a blast to fly.
M
Old 06-27-2009, 05:44 AM
SKYPILEIT
~ I respect the roll ~

Thanks for sharing your Mountain Model experience with us marrara.I haven't built or flown the MM CUB but I know it has a huge following.I like the looks of 'em (who can't...eh.?)maybe someday I'll get one...
Old 08-31-2009, 04:07 AM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Default Another EVA Sport

Well, here's my EVA Sport. A nice project that I have been working on during those rainy days this summer. It took me about a month of part time work. It actually goes together fast and easy. My only problems are weight (I think) and my lack of covering skills. Using So-Lite and trimming with Mono-Cote was a chore and did not work like I hoped. My sport weighs about 17 oz without the battery. I think itís a little heavy, but not ridiculously heavy.

Here's the specifics:

Motor: 2830-11 Brushless from HeadsUpRC.com
ESC: 20 Amp PowerUp from HeadsUpRC.com.
Prop: GWS 9050
Servos: 4 HXT900 from HobbyCity.com
Battery: Turnigy 1300 mah 3S 20C from HobbyCity.com
Radio: Still using my Parkzone 5-AP from a Typhoon 3D that is no more.

The system pulls 180 Watts at WOT with a fresh battery. I think it should do nicely. In the photos, the cowling is not attached yet and the control services still need some adjustmentÖ.. I thought I should take some pictures before anything bad happens!
I was hoping to maiden it today, but 15-20 MPH winds are too much for me. Hopefully sometime this week I can try her out.

Steve

Name:	IMG_0039.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	108303   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0041.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	108304   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0043.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	108305   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0040.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	108306   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0042.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	108307  

Old 08-31-2009, 03:01 PM
Eberwein
Mountain Models

Steve,

Your covering job looks great to me! I can imagine that the MoneyCote trim was a pain because of its application temperature, compared to SoLite. But, it really does look good.

I think your weight will be fine. With 180 watts, you'll have PLENTY of power for flying it around.

Brian
Old 09-01-2009, 04:48 AM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Default Eva Sport Maiden

Success! I Maidened my Eva Sport this evening. Perfect weather, sunny, 65 deg and about 5 MPH winds. My normal flying field at the local middle school was being used for peewee football practice. So off to the high school side lot. (Flying field number two.) Great! No one there, so I get setup, check all my throws, do a distance radio check and start with a little taxing around. All seems good, so throttle up and sheís airborne! Then I notice TOO MUCH UP Elevator! Trim down, More Trim Down ALL TRIM Down and Iím still proposing. Throttle back with full down trim and I can control it. Bring her around and down. No damage! Only new shorts needed. Time to checkout the plane. CG still seems correct. Double check the Elevator and it looks pretty level. Hmm, oh yea, Iím already at full down trim. Center trim and yep thereís some up. Not sure how that got there. Unscrew the quick connect and recenter. Looks Good. Flip to high rates and now thereís a little down. Hmmmm again. Anyone seen the center move a little when flipping rates on the radio?? The other servos donít seem to do this and my other plane doesnít do this. Must be the servo. Well I want to fly, so I split the difference and try again. This time on low rates I can adjust with some down and get her to fly level. Two clicks of left elevator and now she flyís hands off. Ahhhhhhhhhh. Now I can relax and play a little.

Slow flight is dead stable! A complete joy! I try to stall and the nose just drops some. No tip stalls here! A few more circuits at higher throttles and she gets fast! Not too fast, but fast enough and still dead stable. Ahhhhhhh! Again. Not sure how long Iíve really been flying with the 1st flight so shortÖ So time to bring her down. Line up and cut power, and I sail right over my landing area. Wow she really floats even with no power on. Around again with a little more room and this time a good (not great) landing. Ahhhhhhh. It really slows down well. If you can set her down where you want, you wonít need much runway at all.

Next battery! (After double checking all connections, motor mountÖ) Take-off is easy at about ĺ throttle. Then throttle back and fly at about Ĺ throttle. Switch to high rates. Opps add back in some up trim! Not too twitchy, but lots of action. Try a roll. PERFECT! Fast and straight! Much cleaner than my Dandy Sport. Must be the center mount wing! Try a loop. Easy! All right Iím pushing my luck here. Back to slow rates (and down trim) and land after 7 minutes or so. Landings are easy if you prepare for the float. The plane tracks so straight at slow speeds!

Starting to get dark, so I decide to come home. Time to checkout the batteries. Battery number 1 is still actually at 50% charge and number two at 35% I should still be able to get some decent flight times if I donít over use the throttle. No damage to the plane either. Everything still looks good! All landings were on asphalt. Not sure what my normal grass landings will do.

Great flying plane! Iím very satisfied so far. A winner from Mountain Models!

Now if I can just tell that football team to not practice on my flying field!

Quick Reply: Mountain Models/Laser Arts Appreciation Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12334 seconds with 25 queries