Micro Sized Electric Helicopters Discuss micro and mini sized electric rc helis in here

Walkera 4#3B Brushless Motor Kit Review

Old 12-31-2008, 08:05 AM
ehirobo.com

Default Walkera 4#3B Brushless Motor Kit Review

For some of you out there which hate to solder tiny wire to the micro receiver. Walkera had release a bind and fly solution for you with their new brushless motor kit. You just need to plug it in an forget about replacing motor. With the new RX2406A receiver you simply plug the ESC into the receiver and fly. The weight different between a brushed 4#3B to a brushless 4#3B is 5.8 gram (40.5g vs. 46.3g, both with canopy and without battery). The flight time is still a reasonable 10min and more on the flight characteristic in the test flight section.

Installation:
As with the popular ebay/ losi setup you need to cut around 0.5mm materials away to fit the motor into the stock motor mount. But it is very simple as I use a paper cuter to trim the frame slightly. Motor come fitted with a 16 teeth brass pinion and it will fit the motor mounting slot without any modification. For the ESC you can use double sided tape to tape it on top of the receiver or mount it under the receiver mount. It is only down to personal preference as both local would fit but if you mount it under the receiver mount it would be a tight fit between the canopy. After mounting all the hardware simply plug the ESC into the receiver, connect the motor to the ESC and attach the ESCís power input to the receiverís power input, then you are ready to fly.

Test Flight:
We charged up the battery and test flight it inside our office. As I am have a 10250kv motor in my 4#3B, the power from the Walkera setup is very impressive. With just a 16t pinion it have a lot more power. Do not have any information on the kv rating on the motor but it sure have a lot more power then the 10250kv motor. I would say atleast 20-30%. And since it only use a 16t pinion there are not too much loading on the motor. With 25įC room temperature, the motor is still ice cold after 10min indoor flight! The flight time is around 10min before I notice a decrease in performance. I may be able to push it to 11-12 min but really donít want to over discharge the battery. The heli is more stable then the brushed version due to the increase in weight. But with the increase in power it still fly quickly. It acutely move up much quicker than the brushed version.

Conclusion:
With the increase in power and reliability of this brushless system I donít see any reason not to get one for your 4#3. With this simple setup you donot need to solder tiny wire, or convert the whole system to 2S lipo. The down side is you need a new receiver to plug the ESC into. But with the increase performance it is really worth it and you will never need to worry about replacing motor again.
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
Old 12-31-2008, 01:50 PM
bassplayinDude

Thanks for the info. Figures the BL upgrade would come out less than a month after I bought mine!
Old 01-12-2009, 08:45 AM
ssp711

if you already owned the 4#3B, you can consider to get the upgrade kit~
it can be found in wing hobby or rc-fever