Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

P-51D House of Balsa 1/10 kit Build Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 10:12 PM
max2112
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
The 32.6 oz AUW is really good for this plane. I think one of the things that's helping you, is that your outrunner is clear in the front. I used a gearbox setup that was closer to what was on the plans. Even though my motor is heavy, it's further rearward than yours, and the plane needed considerable nose lead to balance, even with a 3s-2500 lipo fully forward in the batt compartment.

The wing is definitely thick enough for the electric retract units, although they would have to be back a bit. The plane is probably really easy to takeoff and land, with the forward landing gear. Looks similar to what H9 did with the PTS Mustang.
You're definitely right about that Bill. even though it took a bit of bashing on the original kit, I knew that I wanted a direct drive motor all the way up front. Not really my brilliant idea, just lots of research and reading on the net prior to the build.
I think I'll leave the fixed gear alone for a while. I can't really afford the duckies for a new set of E-tracts right now and she is such a joy to fly.

And of course my lazy butt still needs to paint and attach the exhaust stacks!

Last edited by max2112; 04-24-2012 at 08:24 PM. Reason: sp
Old 05-24-2012, 05:34 PM
JimH Ca

I see in one of your build pictures that you too have a Kitty that likes to help you with your builds, Ha! Great pic, my wife is going to love it when I show her lol...

Jim
Old 05-24-2012, 06:40 PM
JimH Ca

I just noticed that you are in Kaiserslautern Germany. I was stationed with the US Army in Augsburg back in 75-76. Wow, what a wonderful country. I wish now that I had gotten involved with the local R/C croud there.

Jim
Old 05-24-2012, 08:29 PM
max2112
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JimH Ca View Post
I see in one of your build pictures that you too have a Kitty that likes to help you with your builds, Ha! Great pic, my wife is going to love it when I show her lol...

Jim
Yes, he is also known as Scout the feline Destroyer! A couple of years ago he and the dog wer playing in the house and he jumped on and Broke both tailbooms on my E-Flite P-38. He's a good cat though.

Originally Posted by JimH Ca View Post
I just noticed that you are in Kaiserslautern Germany. I was stationed with the US Army in Augsburg back in 75-76. Wow, what a wonderful country. I wish now that I had gotten involved with the local R/C croud there.

Jim
Thanks for your service, Jim. I agree with you, Germany is a great assignment. We have been blessed to be able to travel and see quite a bit of Europe.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:51 PM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

Hey John!
I just stumbled on your thread. I hope you're still flying it....
Dick
Old 04-17-2013, 01:03 AM
max2112
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Capt Easy View Post
Hey John!
I just stumbled on your thread. I hope you're still flying it....
Dick
Thanks Dick. Yep, she's still in the hangar and is one of my more dependable models.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:16 PM
TheEngLife

Originally Posted by max2112 View Post
More fuselage pictures. The instructions were good for this part, but as always dryfitting before glueing definitely helps.
Hey John,

I just got to this stage of my build last night, and I am finding that the formers aren't fitting very well into the fuselage siding. It seems especially tough when trying to fit a plywood piece into a balsa piece. I was wondering if you had similar issues with this and what you did to correct it?

Thanks!

Mike
Old 05-03-2013, 03:57 AM
max2112
Super Contributor

Hi Mike.
I'm not quite sure if I understand exactly which piece(s) you are asking about. If you haven't pushed through yet, What step in the instruction book are you on?

In General I glued the long pieces together to form the sides of the fuselage. Then I glued the vertical pieces onto the battery tray.
Next - with the exception of the very front piece I worked from front to back putting it all together. Some were tight and needed a little shaving.

Once it all dry-fit into place, I took it apart and repeated with Medium CA at each junction. The last part was the small clamp holding the tail pieces together.

Hope this helps!
John
Old 05-03-2013, 06:17 PM
TheEngLife

Hey John,

I am at step 30 in the instructions. I think you answered my question when you said some parts need shaving. Basically any plywood parts on the battery tray are a little big to fit into the balsa side walls, so I guess I will either have to sand down the plywood parts of cut a little bit out of the fuselage walls.

I've attached some pics just in case! Basically I am having trouble getting the green circled pieces to fit into the red circled slots.

Thanks for the help,

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane 1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	168560   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane 2.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	168561  
Old 05-04-2013, 08:52 PM
max2112
Super Contributor

You've got the right idea, Mike. I trimmed the Tabs on the inner pieces with an exacto blade and tested often to see if they would fit in the slots.

It wasn't a lot to shave and the biggest thing to make sure of is that everything is in the proper place and squared.

I'm really looking forward to seeing her fly!