Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Bending Music Wire

Old 02-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Ed Emmons
Ed

Default Bending Music Wire

i AM SCRATCH BUILDING A FIESLER STORCH. LANDING GEAR IS MADE FROM 3/16 MUSIC WIRE.

ANY SUGGESTION ON HOW TO BEND THIS MATERIAL WITHOUT RESORTING TO EXCESSIVE HEAT? EXCESSIVE HEAT WILL ANNEAL THE MUSIC WIRE.

HOBBY LOBBY AND TOWER HOBBIES EACH SELL A TOOL FOR BENDING MUSIC WIRE. HAS ANYONE USED THESE TOOLS AND WHAT IS YOUR OPINION AS TO THEIR USE?

Ed Emmons
Old 02-14-2007, 11:31 PM
olmod

Anything less than the quality of this is just trouble imo and it should last a lifetime.
http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp

Last edited by olmod; 02-14-2007 at 11:37 PM. Reason: at
Old 02-16-2007, 06:07 AM
Ed Emmons
Ed

olmod,

re: your reply to my post reguarding bending music wire. how does your reply address my request for help on bending music wire?

Ed Emmons
Old 02-20-2007, 03:11 AM
swapdaddyxx1

Default bending music wire

Ed, I am sure there are better ways, but a small vise with different kinds of pliers and a small hammer works for me. I just measure and mark the wire carefully and eyeball a lot to keep both sides symetrical. Jerry
Old 02-20-2007, 04:17 AM
john cook

I bought a tool for bending wire from KFS It works just great
Old 02-20-2007, 05:56 AM
Ed Emmons
Ed

swapdaddxxx1

thanks for the music wire bending info. I'll give that a try when I return to Connnecticut.

Ed
Old 02-20-2007, 06:00 AM
Ed Emmons
Ed

John Cook

Thanks for your reply about using a tool for bending music wire.I'm not familiar with the name KFS. Can you give me an address or telephone number.

Looking forward to your reply.

Ed Emmons
Old 02-20-2007, 06:08 AM
Sorloser

Have a look at the wire bender LeeValley Sells about $7 I was going to get one but it looked so easy I just make some custome jigs for all my stuff then when I need to make more I just bend away

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43456,43407
Old 02-20-2007, 06:49 PM
rcav8r

Link in post #2 is broken.

Anyway I use the wirebending tools from Harry Higley. They work a lot better than they would seem to.

Harry needs to update his site, but he makes some GREAT tools. I have yet to have a dud from any of the ones I have; and I have quite a few.
Here's a link to the benders for up to 5/32" I know he has one ( or used to) for 1/4" wire.
http://members.aol.com/harryhig/Tools2.htm
BTW, try using U-bends on your next control setup ( as shown on the above link) You'll never use Z-bends again.
Also the covering trimmer (shown on page 1) works GREAT every time. Highly reccomended.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:01 PM
rcav8r

Found this link for the 3/16" wire
http://members.aol.com/harryhig/Special1.htm (bottom of page)
Old 02-23-2007, 05:22 PM
stoneb1b

I have bent a lot of music wire over the years.

I don't use Heat.

The wire bending tools are nice, but still require a vice….and the vice works well enough by it’s self.

A word of caution – When bending larger wire, wrap the wire in a towel and be prepared for a break (either in the wire or the vice). I’ve broken both. 4mm wire takes quite a bit of beef to bend….and if you break the wire (it happens) you will launch yourself … so pay attention to what is in your oops trajectory.

I know that many folks solder their gear joints. I subscribe to the wrap it and CA it school.

In a light application standard thread is fine (tightly wrapped and CA’d).

In heavy applications, braided high performance fishing line (not Monofilament) is inexpensive and VERY strong.

If the wrapping is done well, and the CA is wicked in, you end up with a neat and strong bond.

Cheers,

George
Old 02-23-2007, 07:39 PM
john cook

To Ed Emmons
Sorry about the information provided.Just shows don't rely on your memory.
My bender is from "K&S Engineering,Chicago 773/586-8503" My communication has been through "International Hobbycraft,Northbrook ILl or CSR @Hobby Exporter.com
Old 02-23-2007, 10:55 PM
olmod

Originally Posted by Ed Emmons View Post
olmod,

re: your reply to my post reguarding bending music wire. how does your reply address my request for help on bending music wire?

Ed Emmons
soz about that link it obviously did not copy correctly and you should have ended up at www.micromark.com and the part number is 82819
Old 02-24-2007, 06:40 AM
Ed Emmons
Ed

John Cook/stoneb1b/sorloser/rcav8r

Many Thanks For Your Replies Regarding The Bending Of Music Wire. I Have A Heavy Duty Vise, And Access To A Machine Shop. I Am Qualified To Operate All Types Of Machine Shop Machinery.

I'll Make A Tool For Bending Music Wire.

Stoneb1b, I Like Your Suggestion For Binding The Parts Togeter With Twine And Applying Ca To Bond The Parts.

I Am Presently Wintering In Se Arizona (no Rc Equipment With Me) And Will Be Returning To Connecticut At The End Of March.

Ed Emmons
Old 02-24-2007, 06:23 PM
Rodneh

I have had good luck with the K&S large wire bender (I think they make two sizes) with up to and including 1/4 inch wire. 1/4 inch does take a big vise to hold bar and you may have to use an extension (pipe) on the handle to bend the 1/4 inch stuff. Yes, the wire will sometimes break so be ready for the rebound and flying shrapnel if it happens.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:05 PM
Ed Emmons
Ed

Rodneh, Thanks for your rely re, bending music wire. when i return to Connecticut i'll make a wire bending jig. I have access to a machine shop and can mak the necessary wire bending tools.

Ed Emmons