Aerodynamics Discuss the concepts of aerodynamics here

Dihedral effect on swept wing

Old 02-15-2019, 02:57 PM
Abuelo

Default Dihedral effect on swept wing

A buddy built a powered glider type plane with forward swept wings and had some stability and turning issues with it. We got most of these sorted but still have a question we don't know then answer to.

"Miss Tempe" has a 60" span ( two 30" panels), 8" root chord, 5" tip chord, flat bottom conventional airfoil, 4 per panel dihedral, and 5 forward sweep as measured at the leading edge. No tip plates or fences, high wing, rudder, elevator, and throttle only. As built the C/G was about 33% of the MAC but she flew better with the C/G moved forward to around 25%. Weight all up was 19 oz. See the rather poor photo.

I understand that rear sweep adds effective dihedral, found references to anywhere from1 per each 5 to 10 sweep. (References are inconsistent but may represent unknown factors in the overall design.) But what about forward sweep? Does that add effective dihedral or subtract dihedral? I'm thinking it subtracts which would account for the turning difficulty as the effective dihedral was down to 3.5 or 3.0, depending. I also think a fence along the root would have kept any span wise air flow on the wing.

The builder is leaning toward replacing the wing with a 0 dihedral KF2 and ailerons. I'm thinking he could cut the original wing and add a couple more degrees dihedral and would be OK. Another option is a second KF2 with dihedral and no ailerons.

Thoughts and comments? All appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Miss Tempe.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	187372  
Old 02-15-2019, 04:10 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I can confirm from actual flying a model that sweep-back does add 'dihedral' effect.

I had a Pavel Bosak 20 powered Mig17 back in the 80's that had very little dihedral but the sweepback made her effective rudder / elevator machine.

If sweepback aids the turn ... then logic would say sweep forward would detract from the turn ... I know the couple of sweep forward wing models I have flown - I don't like ... which includes the 540 racer which has a forward taper wing ...
Old 02-15-2019, 04:39 PM
Abuelo

Thanks, Nigel.

I found there are a couple sailplanes with forward swept wings but they were thus designed to get the main spar out of the cabin area. Forward sweep may work best in high speed designs and just be a novelty with ours.

The buddy also tried a flying wing design with forward sweep. To the best of my knowledge it would snap roll at the slightest hint of a stall and the longest flight I saw must have been under 10 seconds.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:23 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

The Blanik has forward swept wings because it is a 2 seater. This is to move the CG position forward for the extra weight.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:32 PM
Abuelo

Thanks.