Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-22-2010, 12:14 AM   #26
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

4kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW 
Friends: (21)

Originally Posted by starfire73 View Post
I tried it with a 6x4 prop today. That sucked. It totally changed the motor performance.

It went down to drawing 13 amps, and 160 watts at WOT. Which is right were I wanted it... however, the plane flew like a dog! Hardly any power at all. Terrible vertical climb.

I think I'm going to put the 7x5 back on and run it a little hotter.
Ah Ha
You've found just how critical these new fangled electric motors are, as to the propeller selection used

What used to be a minor prop change on those old noisy power plants can make an electric model go from pulling to much power out of the motor/ESC/Battery, to a model that won't fly.

Programs such as www.motocalc.com, or use of a good meter such as the whattmeter (or both) by Astroflight are worth their cost in motors to make certain you are running your power system at its best without burning something up!
Old 12-22-2010, 03:19 AM   #27
starfire73

Friends: (0)

Yeah... my wattmeter is showing that going from a 6x4 to a 7x5, doubled the amp and watt draw.

I'm going to run it with the 7x5 and just keep an eye on the motor temp. It's not doing me any good with such low thrust as the 6x4 produced. Even with the 7x5 it's staying within the battery and ESC specs, so I may burn out a $15 motor before it's time... no big deal.

I'm hoping that keeping the motor temp. as close to 150 F (or less) as I can, will be enough, regardless of the motor's ratings, etc.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:46 AM   #28
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,254 Times in 2,155 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (326)

Yeah... my wattmeter is showing that going from a 6x4 to a 7x5, doubled the amp and watt draw.

I'm going to run it with the 7x5 and just keep an eye on the motor temp. It's not doing me any good with such low thrust as the 6x4 produced. Even with the 7x5 it's staying within the battery and ESC specs, so I may burn out a $15 motor before it's time... no big deal.

I'm hoping that keeping the motor temp. as close to 150 F (or less) as I can, will be enough, regardless of the motor's ratings, etc.
On your next plane, use a motor thats almost twice the size/power that you need Really, most people try to use a motor that will just fly the plane but it wont have any performance at all, then they but a larger prop on it and the motor is taxed to the limit, not good, so start out with a motor that 2x bigger than whats needed, all the extra power is fun too thats what i do and have never regreted doing that, just my 2 cents worth, Have fun, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 12-22-2010, 05:54 AM   #29
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

If you burn that motor up, you might consider going to a higher performance motor. I've got 7 Hacker motors, all perform per their ratings, and run cool while doing it. Mine run about 15-20 degrees F above ambient after a flight, as measured by a thermocouple type thermometer on a Fluke 87V multimeter.

Take a look at the Hacker A30-12M motor. www.motocalc.com predicts with your 3 cell Lipo, this motor will pull 22 Amps while turning a 7-6 prop at 14,000 RPM, or 32 Amps while turning a 8-6 prop at 13,200 RPM. These type motors are quite efficient, and put more of the battery "horsepower" into the propeller, and less of the battery "horsepower" into making the motor hot.

Hacker has a number of different winds for the same core motor size. These motors are not cheap, the A30-12M goes for about $60.

Many other motors are also out there, check them out. If you've not done so, check out www.motocalc.com, that program, or other similar programs will give you an idea of how different motors, props, and battery packs will perform on your model. Motocalc is free for 30 days, then its $39.00
Old 03-16-2017, 12:51 AM   #30
d0uglas

Gotta say, you guys raise the bar when it comes to knowledge and willingness to share it, at least compared to another forum I've grown used to. Really, it's impressive. Thanks for the information, this thread alone has been quite helpful.

Doug
Old 03-16-2017, 02:28 AM   #31
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by d0uglas View Post
Gotta say, you guys raise the bar when it comes to knowledge and willingness to share it, at least compared to another forum I've grown used to. Really, it's impressive. Thanks for the information, this thread alone has been quite helpful.

Doug
This thread is 7 years old!

FYI, I'm still flying every Hacker motor I've ever bought

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 03-16-2017, 04:09 PM   #32
d0uglas

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
This thread is 7 years old!

FYI, I'm still flying every Hacker motor I've ever bought
Having spent my share of time on RCG threads, I'm quite glad to have discovered wattflyer. It's now as if I am at my club where everyone knows more than I do and is willing to teach me, a wealth of knowledge, and an element of courteousness and general levelheadedness that until now, online, has been somewhat foreign to me.

So, I offer my compliments, and a thank you for welcoming me.

Good to know about the Hacker motors. I'm the motor-tinkering type. Are there any HeadsUp-like resellers that ship fast from the States?

Doug
Old 03-16-2017, 04:31 PM   #33
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (17)

Wattflyer plays a level game and rarely gets naughty. We have our moments but nothing like RCGroups for example. If you really want to see some 'bare-knuckle' stuff ... go look at the Drone Forums !!

We do actually try to steer clear of too many 'black' references as it tends to spoil a good chat.

The biggest thing you will notice is that if someone is wrong on WF ... we accept and don't make a big song and dance of it. I am wrong and I accept. Simple.

The moderators here also are PRO-active ... not reactive as others ... so things are not allowed to get out of hand.

A thoroughly good place to be. Without WF - I think I would go nuts !!

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 03-17-2017, 06:14 PM   #34
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

Which leads me to wonder why more people don't frequent Wattflyer. The culture is absolutely superior to other RC forums. As a result I spend more time over at RCG than I'd like to. You have to have a thick skin and be willing to dish it out a bit over there as in order not to be squished you have to match the intensity of the turbulence with your stick inputs.

Then you come back here and find yourself having to adjust your transmitter to allow for a fine group of people who respect each other and give each other the benefit of the doubt. Posting on a forum need not be a full contact sport! Wattflyer rocks.

Registered drone offender FA377YHFNC
Old 03-17-2017, 06:42 PM   #35
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

I think WF is nice and good to be in because it does not have so many 'members' as RCG. As numbers increase - the overall tone and character changes accommodating the rough and the smooth. Pity because WF needs more members and input. But we don't want the place to change !

Its funny because I once read a post over on RCG that claimed WF was only for old fogies who liked to stick bits of wood together . scratchbuild etc. That WF didn't have 'modern day' modellers !!

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 03-17-2017, 07:24 PM   #36
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron

Considering that you're an antique, they are correct ! LOL Just kidding.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:40 PM   #37
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Considering that you're an antique, they are correct ! LOL Just kidding.
And I was going to add you to my Xmas Card list !!

Nigel

Old 03-17-2017, 08:06 PM   #38
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

Having spent my share of time on RCG threads, I'm quite glad to have discovered wattflyer. It's now as if I am at my club where everyone knows more than I do and is willing to teach me, a wealth of knowledge, and an element of courteousness and general levelheadedness that until now, online, has been somewhat foreign to me.

So, I offer my compliments, and a thank you for welcoming me.

Good to know about the Hacker motors. I'm the motor-tinkering type. Are there any HeadsUp-like resellers that ship fast from the States?

Doug
I really like heads up rc. I have never been disappointed. I've gotten shipments in about 24 hours before on standard shipping. From Florida to utah, that's pretty good.

Also he takes all the guess work out of picking out a motor.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 03-19-2017, 01:06 AM   #39
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post
I really like heads up rc. I have never been disappointed. I've gotten shipments in about 24 hours before on standard shipping. From Florida to utah, that's pretty good.

Also he takes all the guess work out of picking out a motor.
1000% agree. They are my default place to buy RC stuff. Just bought an Eflite UMX Waco BL and they didn't have appropriate batteries. I was heartbroken.

Great prices. Great products. Knowledgeable people. Incredibly cheap and quick shipping.

Normally a motor's watt rating represents the sales department's impossibly optimistic advertising claim. With Heads Up it represents their personal test of what the motor can safely deliver with a specific battery and propeller.That alone is justification for buying from them first.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:14 AM   #40
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Doug
Hacker motors have always been near the top in quality and performance. But, they are a lot of $$$$. There are a number of lower cost motors now days that also perform quite well. My Hackers run from an A30, two A40's, three A50's, and two A60's.

I've got a Rimfire 50cc motor that is running trouble free at 4500 Watts in one of my models.

Here is one supplier of Hacker motors in the USA.
http://www.espritmodel.com/hacker-out-runners.aspx

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 03-24-2017, 09:29 PM   #41
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Here is one supplier of Hacker motors in the USA.
http://www.espritmodel.com/hacker-out-runners.aspx
And Hacker is one of the very few motor manufacturers that if you run the motor all day at their rated wattage, you won't burn the motor out or even stress it in any way. Hacker's ratings for their motors can be relied on.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners