ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

New E-Flite RV-9 450 ARF

Old 07-16-2009, 06:13 AM
*JCB*
Flinky

yep, the park 480 and i just went with the s75 servos that they recommended...i've never used any of horizon's servos (jr, eflite, etc...) so we'll see what happens!! any thoughts about any of their servos?

i'm getting excited
Old 07-16-2009, 06:29 AM
*rider
Always Fixing Something

I've never used the S75's, or any other e-flite servos, although I've heard / read mixed reviews. I have used several Hitec and JR Sport servos though. I've had great experiences with both brands so far. I think I'm going to use Hitec HS-65HB's as they've been great and will fit nicely.

Originally Posted by *JCB* View Post
yep, the park 480 and i just went with the s75 servos that they recommended...i've never used any of horizon's servos (jr, eflite, etc...) so we'll see what happens!! any thoughts about any of their servos?

i'm getting excited
Old 07-16-2009, 06:40 PM
*JCB*
Flinky

One of my flying buddies uses only jr or eflite servos and says he loves 'em...so i guess they couldn't be all that bad!

the HS-65's are really nice servos (i've put a solid beat down on a few!), but a little more money than i was looking to spend this time around.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:35 PM
*rider
Always Fixing Something

Yup, I hear ya! I'm sure the S75's will do just fine, plus they are nice & light. My Park 480 is sitting here, staring at me, along with the Castle Thunderbird-36. If it was not 105F in my garage I'd be down there soldering it up. I bought a handful of the Castle BEC's from www.toddsmodels.com as they were only $20.99 so I'll use one of those as well, just to be safe. I take it you are going to use the optional flaps as well, should be sweet!

Also I just got off the phone with my LHS owner and he told me he's already been invoiced for the RV-9 and it's on the way, he thinks he will have it in the next 3-5 business days, so we'll see! I already cleared some bench space in my build room (aka bedroom lol) so crossing fingers
Old 07-17-2009, 03:26 AM
Zorcher1

Would a power 10 be overkill?
Old 07-17-2009, 04:06 AM
*JCB*
Flinky

Originally Posted by *rider View Post

Also I just got off the phone with my LHS owner and he told me he's already been invoiced for the RV-9 and it's on the way, he thinks he will have it in the next 3-5 business days, so we'll see! I already cleared some bench space in my build room (aka bedroom lol) so crossing fingers

POOP! my LHS owner said he still hasn't heard anything about mine...i'll be in there within the next few days to pick something up, i'll ask again.

and yes, i'm going with the flaps! should be fun!
Old 07-17-2009, 07:09 AM
*JCB*
Flinky

interesting post on another site...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1042298&page=5

see [ost #66

I hope mine is included in that! especially since horizon's site is now saying early august
Old 07-17-2009, 12:07 PM
*rider
Always Fixing Something

If your LHS owner got it on the books you should see it quick.

Originally Posted by *JCB* View Post
interesting post on another site...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1042298&page=5

see [ost #66

I hope mine is included in that! especially since horizon's site is now saying early august
Old 07-17-2009, 12:08 PM
*rider
Always Fixing Something

I would think so - the Park 480 should be crazy enough for most.

Originally Posted by Zorcher1 View Post
Would a power 10 be overkill?
Old 07-18-2009, 02:38 AM
*rider
Always Fixing Something

Well I got that phone call earlier today, it's in @ the LHS! I did not have time to swing by today so hoping to pick her up tomorrow & get the build underway.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:17 PM
*JCB*
Flinky

I just got the call this morning...WAHOO!! on my way to get it...
Old 07-19-2009, 03:29 AM
*rider
Always Fixing Something

Nice! I got buried in chores so no time to make the trip. Will try again tomorrow.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:24 AM
*rider
Always Fixing Something

Default Finally

Well I picked her up, just unpacked everything and all parts check out OK. Starting the build tonight.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	_Device Memory_home_user_pictures_IMG00026-20090719-1819.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	105621  
Old 07-20-2009, 04:29 AM
*JCB*
Flinky

SWEET!! let us know how it goes...i won't be able to work on mine until next week some time
Old 07-20-2009, 04:54 AM
*rider
Always Fixing Something

It's underway and so far I'm fairly impressed - I'm on slacker time as bbq'ng with the ms. yet slowly making progress. Pics and a quick write-up later on if I'm not exhausted :o
Old 07-20-2009, 05:14 AM
*rider
Always Fixing Something

Wow, there are some neat & classy touches on this one for sure. Love the way the tail feathers bolt together and the hardware is hidden - unlike the Pulse 25e. The cowl is pre-drilled, *AS ARE* the backings in the fuse w/plastic bits on the inside for a solid "bite". That's a huge improvement IMHO over the Taylorcraft, after a build & rebuild I still struggled with that component. The belly is wide & accessible, not cramped. I set the fuse on the stand and strategically applied drops of thin CA here & there, a standard practice for me. LG is bolted on, now back to tail feathers.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:54 AM
*rider
Always Fixing Something

Default Updates & pics

The pic quality is bad, srry. A BlackBerry is no substitute for a real camera.

So I got the tail feathers installed, I like the new bolt-together hardware. I installed the R & E servos, ESC + BEC, motor, and RX. Got the R & E linkages installed and adjusted. So far no snags. I'll take a break then start in on the wing.

Name:	bare_fuse.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	105788   Click image for larger version

Name:	horizontal_stab.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	105789   Click image for larger version

Name:	tail_feathers.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	105790   Click image for larger version

Name:	new_hardware.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	105791   Click image for larger version

Name:	electronics.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	105792  

Click image for larger version

Name:	motor_esc.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	105793   Click image for larger version

Name:	completed_fuse.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	105794  
Old 07-22-2009, 04:12 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Looks great man - Eflite is really turning out some nice stuff...
Old 07-23-2009, 07:14 PM
*rider
Always Fixing Something

Default Done!

Well she's 100% complete, operational flaps & all. Hung it up until maiden.

Overall for this one here's how I'd score it:

Manual - B+, some updates have been made since printing from what I can tell, yet it's clearly obvious what you should be doing. No biggie.

ARF itself - quality of parts, condition out of box, hardware, fit & finish, etc. a solid A.

Enjoyment factor during build - A+.

No spinner for me as it was missing the screws. No biggie.

Manual references string available through wing channel for routing the aileron leads - not so, just adds a few minutes of fishing. No biggie.

I'm not sure if I like new hardware supplied for attaching the pushrods to the servo control arm - see pic. Small machine screw into the plastic bit - if that gave and I had a jammed control surface . I'm sure it's been flight-tested and all tho I may end up changing the hardware.

Name:	done.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	105895   Click image for larger version

Name:	hardware.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	105896  
Old 07-25-2009, 07:23 AM
*JCB*
Flinky

Looks good! I should have mine finished by the end of this week...I don't think i will use those nylon ez-connectors on my servos. I'll have to figure something else out.

Horizon has an addendum to the manual for the servo wire string in the wings. They said that they have been notified that some were shipping without them and to use a small weight to fish some line through.

When's your maiden??
Old 07-25-2009, 07:45 AM
*rider
Always Fixing Something

Yup I just found a small lead fishing weight & line it was easy. Not sure if I want to maiden this Sunday or not. Probably next weekend. I do want to hit the LHS and see if I can find suitable replacement hardware. Not sure why they didn't at least use a metal connector like with the T-Craft. I used threadlock on those & cranked the machine screws down + CA on the backing. Maybe I'm stressing unnecessarily, tho I would be way bent out of shape if $500+ drilled in bcuz a 10 cent connector failed.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:08 PM
C140
Tailwheels Fly Better

Looks really great *rider. I dig the flaps. Saw one on the shelf in my LHS yesterday and I had to force myself to walk out of the shop because I was afraid if I looked at it any longer I'd end up with it. It's just so beautiful. (sniff) Anyway, let us know how it flies.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:35 PM
John Redman

Hi guys,

A few notes for all of you on some of the differences between the new RV-9 and our other parkflyers.

First off keep in mind we use mulitple vendors for our products. We are trying to pull everything to a standard, but this takes time unfortunately.

The nylon sliding nuts for the motor are new and we have not had any issues with them.

The nylon ez connectors have been used in a few of our offerings, mainly light weight 3D models and we have not had any problems. I do agree they give you a false sense in some areas and we are working on that. I will say we have flight tested them beyond belief and they work.

Our manuals are getting better. It just takes time. I do believe what we deliver now is a 100% improvement over what we delivered only 18 months ago.

The missing string in the wings pissed us off! That won't happen again.

We bagen the tail feather bolting system like is used here on our PT-19. You will see more of it in time.

For the few of you using a UBEC, it works great but does add weight. If you use the ESC's from E-flite you will find they are as if not more robust than the UBEC's that are available. We use the 60Amp ESC in our 60 size warbirds we fly at SEFF every year and it has the same switch mode BEC that is in the 40 Amp Pro and Pro-lite. You can run 7 digital servo and stall a 180 degree retract servo all day long and it will still deliver the power. Just an FYI.

Enjoy the models guys, more to come. In fact we just launched two more last week, they will hit stores in about 6 weeks. Not scale models, but sweet easy backyard/park flyers if you are interested.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL2825

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL2875

John
Old 07-27-2009, 06:44 AM
*rider
Always Fixing Something

Thanks for the info John, it really is a beautiful model!
Old 07-30-2009, 11:11 PM
Jaybird

Hey,

I just picked one up at my LHS in Portland, ME (Maine, ayuh!) at lunch time and have looked through the box and cruised the manual. looks like a fun build. I have all the 450 components available, but I'm leaning towards the 480 system. I may install the 450 and if I'd like more performance, switch over to the 480 sytem.

I have a friend who built a full size kit and it's a rocket! Cruises easliy between 180 and 200 knots and is fully aerobatic! What a blast. I'll have to show him when the model is done. His is all yellow with a blue swoopy stripe down the side.

Great fun!

Jaybird

Quick Reply: New E-Flite RV-9 450 ARF

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11440 seconds with 23 queries