Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Art-Tech Corsair

Old 11-13-2007, 10:44 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Default Art-Tech Corsair

Was killing a little time today, browsing for airplanes that I do not need and stumbled across this one:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5796

For the money, it looks like a pretty good deal. All foam construction, 39" wingspan, and a good looking 3-bladed prop (plus a spare). Comes with brushless outrunner, ESC, li-po battery, servos, and pretty much everything except the Rx. And gotta love the paint job! Navy on the wing and Marines on the fuselage - LOL! Those Chinese are just so darn creative!

So does anyone have one of these?

If not, that's okay because I ended up buying one for myself and will tell you all about it when the slow boat from China arrives. But it would be good to know what to look out for. At this price my expectations are not high, but it looks like a fun little plane all the same.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:53 PM
wilmracer

I've been following this thread and am thinking of picking one up myself. Looks good...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767759
Old 11-14-2007, 12:27 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Originally Posted by wilmracer View Post
I've been following this thread and am thinking of picking one up myself. Looks good...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767759
Sounds promising. No flight reports yet, but at least the parts fit together pretty well. In the build photos it looks very true to scale, even more so than in the pictures over at Hobby City. I was going to wait a few weeks after I got it to put it together, but this one will test my will power for sure!
Old 11-14-2007, 12:30 AM
The Bandit

D Payne,

I was thinking of that model, how much did shipping end up costing you...that is if you don't mind me asking. I'm from the Seattle area, so it would be the same shipping cost.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:47 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Originally Posted by The Bandit View Post
D Payne,

I was thinking of that model, how much did shipping end up costing you...that is if you don't mind me asking. I'm from the Seattle area, so it would be the same shipping cost.
Shipping cost was about $36. It seemed a little steep and I almost didn't pull the trigger, but then again it is a big box coming all the way from Hong Kong.

Seattle area......

So where do you fly?
Old 11-14-2007, 12:53 AM
Twmaster

If it's like their other foam planes it is likely to not be awful. However their radio equipment stinks. Especially their servos.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:02 AM
The Bandit

Originally Posted by D Payne View Post
Shipping cost was about $36. It seemed a little steep and I almost didn't pull the trigger, but then again it is a big box coming all the way from Hong Kong.

Seattle area......

So where do you fly?
Ok, that's about what I thought.

I fly at 60acres in Redmond.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:09 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

I fly at a couple of different school yards down here in Renton, on the east side of 405 near Sunset. There are a pretty good number of park fliers where I fly, but I've never run into any of them here on WattFlyer.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:32 AM
The Bandit

You should try 60acres sometime, look it up on google earth. It's approx. 800+ft. X 900+ft. flying field. Electrics fly on the West field, gliders on the East field...well most of the time. There's the occassional free-for-all cluster of aircraft in the sky. Oh, it's all grass field though. Larger planes like your supercub and belly landers would be ok.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:37 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Originally Posted by The Bandit View Post
You should try 60acres sometime, look it up on google earth. It's approx. 800+ft. X 900+ft. flying field. Electrics fly on the West field, gliders on the East field...well most of the time. There's the occassional free-for-all cluster of aircraft in the sky. Oh, it's all grass field though. Larger planes like your supercub and belly landers would be ok.
It sounds great! I'm familiar with the AMA field at Marymoor, but I had never heard of 60 acres before today. Googled it and found a RC sailplane club there. Is there a club for electrics or is it just the favored local park for flying?
Old 11-14-2007, 02:00 AM
The Bandit

Originally Posted by D Payne View Post
It sounds great! I'm familiar with the AMA field at Marymoor, but I had never heard of 60 acres before today. Googled it and found a RC sailplane club there. Is there a club for electrics or is it just the favored local park for flying?
It's a public county park. There's no established electric club that frequents the park, there is a hand full of regulars though...very nice group. You just need to have AMA insurance and you're good to go.

Last edited by The Bandit; 11-14-2007 at 05:33 AM.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:22 PM
Matt Halton
E-Flite Sea Fury pilot.

That's my Corsair on RC Groups. Seros seem fine, plane flies great,and I have a video on You Tube now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xru96MwNSRI

I think HC have sold out now..
Old 11-17-2007, 04:42 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

That's great Matt! Perfect day for a maiden flight. Mine is on the way so hoepfully I will have my own flight report in another week.

It looks like a good flyer. I was wondering if there is room for a larger battery. The battery it comes with seems smallish, about 1300mAh if I recall correctly.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:09 AM
aero_k

I really want a corsair, and this looks like a great candidate! I don't have any aileron experience, but lots on a simulator. On the HC website, I added it to my cart and tried to "checkout", but ti said that it exceeded the shipping weight limit??? Any idea how to get past this?

I see its out of stock at the moment, so i'll have to wait I guess.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:45 AM
Twmaster

Aero...

You'd be well served to get a high wing aileron plane before you try the Corsair.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:48 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Originally Posted by aero_k View Post
I really want a corsair, and this looks like a great candidate! I don't have any aileron experience, but lots on a simulator. On the HC website, I added it to my cart and tried to "checkout", but ti said that it exceeded the shipping weight limit??? Any idea how to get past this?

I see its out of stock at the moment, so i'll have to wait I guess.
It looks like a good flyer, but for a first aileron plane I would suggest getting something that has spare parts readily available. I suspect to get spare parts for this one you might have to buy an all new airframe.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:57 AM
aero_k

Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
Aero...

You'd be well served to get a high wing aileron plane before you try the Corsair.
Yeah, yeah...I knew I was going to hear that, but they just aren't as cool as a Corsair .

Those regular high-wing trainer-types just don't do it for me..but I guess a warbird in several pieces on the ground won't do it for me either. I have seen many threads where people blatantly ignore warnings not to go right up to a warbird and end up with a pile of rubble. I don't really want to be one of those people.

I'm getting a SuperFly delta wing, which will give some aileron experience, but only 3 channels. I also have a cheap biplane that I got as my first plane that is 3ch, but I might try putting some ailerons on it. Might be cheaper than buying a new plane, and will be fun doing a mod.

Fine...maybe I'll take you advice. Or maybe I'll be like everyone else and say "Go big, or go home", then get lots of repair experience!

Thanks for the advice. A voice inside was already saying that, but I tend to ignore him most of the time...
Old 11-18-2007, 03:06 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

I say tear it up with the Super Fly and keep an eye out for the Corsair to be back in stock. One thing I have heard about United Hobbies, aka Hobby City is that you should never order anything that is backordered.

As for the Super Fly only being 3 channels, that doesn't matter. Most of the time with a 4 channel plane you are not even touching the rudder once you are in the air. You have to get used to righting the airplane by using the ailerons. Trainers will do that without your input, but most others will not. You must bank into a turn and then bank back out of it at the end without overcorrecting. It's easy.....

but not at first.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:52 AM
Twmaster

And just for the record...

I wasn't saying that just to be a wet blanket. First aileron plane I tried to fly was an ME-109. Ask me how many pieces I took home that day.

Would just hate to see you have your fun spoiled by disappointment.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:43 AM
aero_k

Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
And just for the record...

I wasn't saying that just to be a wet blanket. First aileron plane I tried to fly was an ME-109. Ask me how many pieces I took home that day.

Would just hate to see you have your fun spoiled by disappointment.
Of course, no worries. I was waiting to see how long it would take for someone to steer me the other way. I think the simulator has done wonders. When I fly my 3ch plane I find myself trying to level it out after the turn, because I get used to 4ch planes in Realflight. I'll see how I do with the Superfly and maybe I'll be ok. If I end up adding ailerons to my 3ch bipe, so that will get me some practice too. I would much rather destroy the asian import bipe than the corsair. Also, the superfly isn't going to do much for practicing take-offs and landings from the ground with ailerons, so I think its a good plan.

I'm still gonna keep an eye for the Corsair to come back in stock though...
Old 11-19-2007, 02:25 AM
Matt Halton
E-Flite Sea Fury pilot.

There is no room for a bigger battery in stock form, you would need to cut a longer slot and make some kind of hatch (after making sure the battery is secured inside first)
There is a lump of metal ballast,remove it, so if you wanna go bigger batt then it's possible I think to have longer flights for no additional weight gain,and preserving the CG.

I'm thinking of swapping out the motor, but am still deciding what motor will give me the performance I'm looking for...
Old 11-22-2007, 01:34 AM
mike early

Originally Posted by Matt Halton View Post

I'm thinking of swapping out the motor, but am still deciding what motor will give me the performance I'm looking for...

What are some of the options one has for motors in this plane?
Old 11-26-2007, 08:52 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

My Corsair was just delivered to my office

13 days from mouse click to delivery, Hong Kong to Seattle. The warehouse guys at Hobby City, aka United Hobbies turned the retail box inside out and repackaged it for the trans-Pacific journey. I opened up the box for a quick look and all appears well through the many layers of bubble wrap. The only loose item was the free Tx neckstrap they tossed in. I will have a closer look tonight and will post some pics for anyone interested.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:20 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Originally Posted by mike early View Post
What are some of the options one has for motors in this plane?
I'm going to run mine stock for a little while, but if there is room under the cowl, I will seriously consider an inrunner/gearbox combo. I REALLY like the way it hauls my P-47 around with the Park 400 inrunner and 6.5:1 gear reduction. It's noisy too, which seems right for a warbird. The only question is how it will turn the 3-bladed prop. I am definately going to stick that prop on my P-47 for a bench test to see what kind of power it draws and thrust it generates.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:41 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

I opened up the Art-Tech Corsair box this evening and took a quick inventory. Everything looks fine so far. No shipping damage or obvious manufacturing defects. The quality looks pretty good. Not quite E-Flite P-47 quality, but then again for the price I really didn't expect it would even be close.

Actually, there are a few details that have E-Flite beat. The 3-bladed prop for one is really nice! The wheels are also very scale looking and come with painted plastic gear doors, and the tailwheel is steerable without any modifications. The rudder surface is absolutely huge, so I expect it will have some pretty good authority.

The minuses:
You cannot remove the cowling without cutting through a decal. The servos look super-cheap (obviously the proof will be in the flight report). The cockpit has a silver seat that looks more like an electric chair than anything else, and it is loose (easy fix). The paint and decal workmanship is kinda cheesy. For example, the bottom of the wing has white lettering spelling Navy, over a very light gray, almost white paint. You can barely even see it!

But all of those detractors are minor (with the possible exception of the servos). All in all, it looks like a pretty good model.

One more thing....

I threw all the parts on a scale including the battery and a Hitec Rx and it came to 1lb, 7.9oz.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9075.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	48038   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9076.jpg
Views:	600
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	48039  

Quick Reply: Art-Tech Corsair

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12975 seconds with 16 queries