Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

JP lipo's, Esky balance chargers, Hyperion Emeter etc

Old 03-06-2006, 07:37 AM
ExtremeRC
Rocket Man

Default JP lipo's, Esky balance chargers, Hyperion Emeter etc

I got my first lipo last week, its a JP from the UK, made for heli's and is 3s1500Mah 15c continuous rating. I measured each cell, calculating the V differences of the numbers I was getting and ended up with 3.82, 3.81, 3.82 for each cell. This seems to be pretty well balanced right?

I will be using a Swallow II charger for all my batteries, I have also been looking at the Esky? balanced charger that has sockets for 2s and 3s packs, its chinese made, how good is this balance charger?

I am thinking of buying the hyperion E meter, so that I can see everything going on instantly, as I plan to work with single and twin ducted fans and brushless motors primarily.

Is the Hyperion Emeter the best thing to buy? are there better value units out there, I work in electronics and have some pretty good meters, but when I tried to measure amps with a little brushed motor on a 6v pack, my meter would not measure squat, seems my amp measuring circuit is dead, so rather than buy a new high priced meter (I never have need to measure amps anyway) I figured buy the hyperion and be done with it.

Whats the consensus guys?!
Old 03-06-2006, 04:10 PM
Unbalanced prop
Watt, No fuel?

I have a Watt meter and an Emeter. IMHO the Emeter is the best all around tool for checking the efficiency and power output of your setup. Not only will it check volts, amps, watts and rpms but it will also check the overall efficiency of your setup.

Yes...the cells are well balanced. I can't help with the balancer or charger as I have no experience with them.

Doug
Old 03-06-2006, 04:42 PM
Matt Kirsch
Super Contributor

The cells are all within .01 Volt of each other. You can't ask for much better, and I'd expect that from a new pack.

Unfortunately, beyond that, I'm not familiar with anything you're looking at. It appears that not many others are, either, judging by the lack of response so far.

One thing you need to keep in mind is, there is no standard yet for balancing connectors or methods. You need to make sure this "Esky" unit is compatible with your pack(s), or you need to adapt your packs to be compatible with the unit. If you're not fairly well-versed in electronics, I would recommend you purchase packs and balancing technology that were designed to work together.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:30 PM
electriconly

I have a eSky balance charger that came with my eSky Lama2 helicopter. It is an OK charger but I tend to use my Astro 109 and not the eSky. Some users have reported a high termination voltage with this charger in one case as high as 4.35v...... Mine cuts off at 4.25v so I do not have that problem.

In any case there is a pot inside the charger that is used to adjust the termination voltage but you do need a good DVM to check the voltage first.

Brad
Old 03-08-2006, 01:20 AM
ExtremeRC
Rocket Man

Am not bothering with balance charger tech just yet, I charged my pack up on the Swallow, brilliant design, current then voltage, very clever and works perfectly, I used my 12V 7ah sealed lead acid battery from my flight box to charge with, worked perfectly, battery stayed cold the whole time, took just over 40 mins to charge the new pack and 754Mah went in. This is just on half its rated capacity, which ties in with the half charge new batterys are delivered with.

Hooked it all up on the bench last night and programmed the ESC's, then spooled up one of the little Yama motors, wow! massive grunt from the EDF blutacked to the table 10 second run left the motor quite warm, the ESC cold and the Bat cold. Will get the Hyperion today and then spool up both EDF's together and see what sort of current drain I will experience. I can see why the guys flying A10's use half throttle most of the time with brushless!