Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

What is it? An EDFf jet,is what!

Old 08-18-2017, 10:07 AM
denvoyager

Default What is it? An EDFf jet,is what!

Well, I THINK its a hobbyking 70mm Typhoon that I've been given, but I will need to check its powertrain etc.
Does anybody know if there is a link with a methodical sequence of what I need to do to set this up with a suitable thrust/motor/esc/battery combination, please?
To help you to ascertain my level of expertise, it will probably have a title like-
' Setting up an electrically ducted fan model aircraft for real Dummies',
and include helpful tips like:
First, put the lump hammer back in the shed (and the six inch nails!), because it can't be fixed with a lump hammer, therefore it MUST be electrical!
'Bye for now,
Den,
Cymru (Wales)
Old 08-18-2017, 11:19 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Ha!

Den,
I'm pretty much flying edf's full time so maybe I can help. I'll look it up. Does it already have everything ? Motor/ fan combo? Esc? Lg ? Have a picture ?

HK offers a 90mm Eurofighter with thrust vectoring and working canards. Looks pretty nice. 960mm WS. 1400mm long. She's big 3050g w batt Runs on a 6S lipo. 90mm 12b fan. Did I say woosh ? 130amp esc. Says it's made from EPS (styro) which is a bit odd. Most foam planes are now made from EPO. Metal trunnion retracts.

Maybe you received an older model from someone ? I did not see a 70mm on the HK site. I'll Google 70mm Eurofighter. You may have a 4S version.

Anyway, lots of possibilities here for motor/ fan / esc combos. I'd look at RC Castle. They ship to Wales , no problem. Nice selection. Look at the XRP 2200kv combo with 13b fan. They come balanced. You'll get good thrust and a nice turbine like sound. You'll need a 100 amp esc and then start looking at 6S lipos with either EC5 or XT 150 connectors.

For 4S, the KV on the motor will go up. 3000+ can get by with less esc capacity, maybe 70 amp

FMS is also making some nice motor/ fan combos. You can buy direct from them too.

Let me know what you learn about the model and we'll go from there

Squawking 1200 !

Hawk

Last edited by dahawk; 08-18-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:40 PM
denvoyager

Hi!Does anybody know if there is a link with a methodical sequence of what I need to do to set this up with a suitable thrust/motor/esc/battery combination, please?

Thanks for your reply - I wasn't joking about my expertise with edfs!
What I need is a plan.
A sequenced series of 'how to' instructions would be nice. This is because I want to learn to set them up myself, especially if I build an 'oddbod' such as a development/planned, but never built Luftwaffe WW2 jet bomber!
Now, I don't mind setting up said sequence as a resource for other members - so the first thing is to....what?
I'll take suggestions from the members and sequence them, and they can be checked by those involved.
Here is my no. 1 starter:

1. Weigh the model

Any offers on number two, or to change number 1?

Den
P.S.
I don't source in the US, as the postage charges are outrageous - making it uneconomical to do so. Sources in China are good, usually free postage, and quality is not bad,either!
Old 08-18-2017, 05:33 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

If you can find the exact model, I can help. The weight in #1 is okay but you need the weight with the proper battery installed. Thus, the flying weight. Is everything else already installed? If so , number 2 would be: install and bind rx to tx. This is after you assign this model to your Tx
Old 08-18-2017, 06:33 PM
denvoyager

Latest up is that it may be an FMS Typhoon? Although about ten yrs. old!
It is just a shell, although the servos and cockpit came with it.
I think Number two will be wing surface area! So:

1. Weigh the model
2. Measure the wing surface area

Den