Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Quanum Pocket Vibration Telemetry Voltage Meter With Alarm

Old 08-24-2015, 10:50 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Default Quanum Pocket Vibration Telemetry Voltage Meter With Alarm

I have just bought and received this small instrument from Hobby King. It is a Tx that plugs into a LiPo balance lead ... transmits voltage information separate to your normal radio ... to a Rx in your pocket or clipped to your Tx.

You can set for various low level alarm ... 3.3V up to 3.7V and it monitors from 2S up to 8S for any cell that falls to that level.

The Tx part is tiny ... and could be put in even a small model. The Rx in your pocket is about half the size of a Cigarette packet.

Once tested ... will report more.

If anyone already using ... please post ..

Nigel
Old 08-24-2015, 01:08 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

I've not used that one but do regularly use battery voltage telemetry that's inbuilt in my Tx. it works quite well although I find that it doesn't replace a timer. For my uses it just acts as a secondary safety measure, my timer is still what I fly to.

One of the limitations in using voltage is the amount of voltage sag you get under heavy load. You have to set the voltage value quite low otherwise every time you go to full power the alarm with go off. On my helis I have to have the voltage down close to 3.4V per cell to avoid too many false alarms. This low alarm value necessary to avoid false alarms means that when it does go off in normal flight (at lower power) then the batteries are virtually depleted, so you have to land quickly if you want to avoid dead-stick.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:20 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

JPF ... agreed and I fly to time as well .... but lately - I have been terrible. Both last flights of Concorde - I ran out of 'juice'.

This is to be my back-up ..

(Just heard the Nato boys flying over us ... being on the West Coast - we get the Patrols overfly us out of Lithuania ... Nato countries take it in turn to do them ... )

Anyway ... it was on special offer for less than 5 Euro a pop ... so thought why not.

What I like about it - its stand-alone ... doesn't matter what model / radio ... just plugs into balance lead ... AND its in pocket with vibrator ... so no missing the beeps .. no need to read a screen ... just have to be careful where in pocket !!

Nigel
Old 03-07-2022, 08:43 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Update ... still working (one unit lost its side button - but a thin stick usually works it ok.

I've updated mine with buzzers running of the vibrator relay ...