3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

I want a Yak 54, but need your input

Old 06-20-2007, 04:52 AM
proffcharlie

Default I want a Yak 54, but need your input

I would like to get a Yak 54 e powered in the 38 to 45 inch wingspan and up to 38 oz size range. I was very interested in the Great Planes version till I read of the tail feather and wing separation problems. I contacted GP Tech Support and they claim these failures are unknown to them. When I pressed further that story changed to failures are the result of owners overpowering the airframe.
So here is the request for input. If you have or have flown a Yak 54 in this size range please reply to this post with your impressions and the model maker's info. I know there are planes being sold by UltraFly, Cermark and Nitro Planes to name just a few. Problem is if a company with the reputation that GP had is not going to admitt to airframe problems I'm not sure I can trust any of the makers' hype about their planes. So I'm asking you folks to give me any input you might have.
Please only respond with your impressions of the quality of construction and flight performance. I'm not looking for "how tos" on hopping them up just how good is the stock plane and it's performance. I'll admitt that any plane I buy, I am likely to up the power 10 to 15% above the makers suggestions but I can figure that out for my self. Also it is important that this plane is able to perform with a 11.1 v lipo. I'm not keen on the idea of having to go out and buy higher output chargers. My fleet of electrics all use 2 and 3 cell lipos and I would like to keep it that way.
Oh, one last thing, I saw a flight report about a 49 inch wing Raven from ZeroG Models but their web stie still says it is "coming soon" so the report was more than likely from their R&D pilots or one that is sponsored by them. Anybody have any insite into this model? I have a great liking for Ravens and it might just be the next plane instead of the Yak.
Appreciate any info you guys may have.

Charlie
Old 06-20-2007, 06:51 AM
Balil
foam murderer :D

i dont have any insight on that particular model, but i do know that if you beef up the power system you usually have to reinforce everything. i bought a profile foamie yesterday and put a 400 size motor on it, which was WAY too much, and i flew it without reinforcing the fuse. the propwash actually ripped the tailfeathers clean off of the plane...
Old 06-20-2007, 10:19 PM
INSANEflyer

I replied in your thread at rcuniverse, but ive heard very good things about the 3d hobbyshop yak 54
Old 06-21-2007, 07:26 PM
RC4x4

Check out the 3D Hobby Shop one. I have one and it is awesome! Very nice quality and it flies very nice. Very straight forward in the instruction and goes together quick. This one of three of the thier planes that I own.

Cory
Old 07-02-2007, 04:43 AM
cosmonot

I just flew my GP Yak 54 today, Besides how nice it looked I found that it flew as good as it looks. Due to some time constraints I did not get to do any serious 3D but it looks like it should be very capable--Did I say it looks real good in the air?? As for the wing seperation issue, There has been an update to the design of the spar and the spar doubler--If it breaks I would be surprised. I am unaware of any tail issues. I used the E-flight Park 480 and a TP 2100 battery. My only issues are: I really do not like the flight control hardware the GP uses, Also the Rudder/Elevators have more drag than I like and I will be addressing that before I fly again. I also noticed that CG must be right on or it is a little tweaky in the air. Good luck !!
Old 07-02-2007, 05:06 PM
retired06

Default Yak

Get a AirFoilZ Yak 54, Scorpion 2215-18 motor, 10x5e or 11x4.7sf prop. You won't be sorry! Well spent money and you won't believe the fun! No I don't work for the - just enjoy flying their stuff.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:26 AM
proffcharlie

Okay, here's an update. One of the LHS made me a great deal on the UltraFly Yak 54. Admittedly this plane is a little bigger and heavier than the specs I set in the original post but I just could not refuse the deal. This version has a 47.25" WS and is supposed to have an AUW in tha 40 oz. range. We could not get any information from UltraFly or their distributor MRC about the suggested power systems so I decided to go with a V35L motor from Venom. I'll use one of the new Thunder Power Extreme batteries. If I remember right this one is rated as 2050 mAh 3 cell with a 20C/25C burst discharge rate. Wouldn't you know the day after I bought this plane I received the latest issue of Model Airplane News and they did a review of this plane. The power setup they used is the milder version recomended in UltraFly's manual and they seemed to like the performance of the plane. The setup I chose goes more in line with the "extreme" performance power system. Now I have to get the time to put this bird together and find out how "good" of a deal this really was. I have to admit that from the looks of everything in the box this is one sweet plane. I don't see any wasted wood in the airframe and the covering is about as close to perfectly applied as I have seen. I always get complements on my covering jobS and this one is better than I could do. So far the only thing I wasn't excited about is the covering pattern on the top and bottom is almost identical. If that gives a problem when flying I'll just add some TrimCote to change the bottom scheme . Once I get this plane in the air I'll let you guys know how it performs.

Charlie
Old 09-22-2007, 01:58 AM
wildbob

Wish I had viewed your post earlier. The Quique's 49 inch YAK 54 is a fantasic plane. It flys like a model twice it's size.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:12 AM
RC4x4

I would check out the 3D Hobby Shop one. They have three colors to choose from.
www.3dhobbyshop.com
There are videos up so you can see them fly.

The Quique one just came out and probably is nice.

Cory
Old 09-22-2007, 03:07 PM
proffcharlie

Well thanks for the additional suggestions but as I wrote in post #7 I have already bought the UltraFly Yak. I'm still trying to get some other R/c projects as well as home projects out of the way so I can put this bird together. I have seen some reviews from the major magazines and a few forum threads. All of them indicate the plane is of better than average quality and a good flyer. I'm hoping the power system I selected will give it the umph it needs to perform . When I finally get a chance to build the plane I hope to photograph the build as well as the maiden and post everything so others can get an idea of the quality good or bad of this plane .

Charlie
Old 09-22-2007, 06:32 PM
RC4x4

Charlie.
It's not a bad plane. One of the guys I fly with had one but sold it off and got a 3DHS Yak. It didn't fly as well as my 3DHS one so he switched. The cg was hard to get just right in his. He flew his with a Eflite 480 outrunner which did quite well. Great Planes makes some nice stuff but they were kinda jumping into the park flyer sceen alittle late for being such a big company.
I hope it flies good for you. Don't hesitate next time to check out the 3D Hobby Shop planes. You can see how popular they are on RC Groups under the 3D section.
I would like to see your build pictures.

Cory
Old 09-23-2007, 02:26 PM
proffcharlie

Hey Cory,
Thanks for the info on your buddy's plane. My biggest worry with this plane is the possibility of a twisted wing or some other flaw that is hard to discover. The initial quality seems to be there but there are some issues I already have. I'm not too thrilled with the elevator joining method and design. I think that's one item that is going to get some "redesign" with carbon fiber. Some owners have found misfits in the wing to fuse area, so the incidence meter will see some heavy use. These are not that much of a surprise to me. I have been a nitro fueled kit builder in the past and have yet to find a company that makes a flawless plane. I've built Sig, Lanier, Great Planes, Carl Goldberg, Midwest and some "One Time Wonder" kits and they all have had some issue somewhere. I think a lot of flyers mistake an incidence error between the wing and tail or motor as a balance problem and fight with CG positions to the point of disgust with the plane. My U CAN DO 3D 46 presents knife edge coupling that turned out to be a tail incidence error of 2 degrees. I'm still trying to clear up some other projects so I can take the time to cut the stab out of the fuse and correct the angles. Great Planes was nice enough to supply me with replacement tail feathers for free to make the repair, it's just to get the time to rebuild an ARF that should have been done better in the first place. I should have checked all the angles during the assembly, but I thought such a "brand name" company would have better QC. It would be interesting to find out how many of the ARF's out there are misaligned and the pilots blame some other item for the crappy flight.
Everything I hear about 3D HS planes is positive and if it weren't for my phobia of using credit cards on the internet I more than likely would have gone with one of their's. Any way thanks for the input and when i can get time to start assembly I'll post everything for all to see.

Charlie
Old 09-23-2007, 02:31 PM
proffcharlie

AS y'all can tell I'm not a man of few words. OH, and i hate when the shift key on this keyboard screws with me!!!!

Charlie
Old 09-24-2007, 06:16 PM
mattk0

I also vote the 3dhs yak. It's a great plane.