3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

E-flight Yak 54 !!!

Old 10-31-2005, 01:20 PM
ENUT

Thumbs up E-flight Yak 54 !!!

I won this plane back in sept at a IMAA meet.Didn't think to much of it.I finally finish ASSEBLING the plane and had a friend who flies 3d do the first test flight.After the first minute he said the plane was AUSSOME! and was going to order one the next day He flew for 10min then gave me the transmitter and I flew anothe 10min I think.I can't say enough about the plane.I was using a 4channel non computer radio and you are able to do a good amount of 3d flying.But a computer radio and put in 2 wing servo's instead of 1 central servo and you can mix in flaperon's and all that fancy stuff.At first I didn't think I'd like the plane and this type of flying but I might be getting ADDICTED A few things to note,the fuse is very flimsy(it cracks easily) also directions tell you to use hot glue gun to install servos,well watch how hot the glue is.Mine almost melted the foam.I would use probond polyurethan glue next time.I used that glue to assemble all components on this plane.Anyhow enyjoy. ENUT
Old 10-31-2005, 08:15 PM
trogdor
Electriglo pilot

I tried this plane with a himax 2812-650 at first and it was just way too weak so I just went to a Hacker A20-22L and it really came alive! I also did the two aileron wing so I could fit 1320 3s packs in the space inside the fuse for balance

Knife edge is really good only minor corrections needed. I felt comfortable doing rolling harriers right over the grass right away seems very stable and this was in breezy conditions. Plane seems a bit heavy (forgot exact weight 14oz or so??) but it handles so easily slow harriers normal and inverted, slow knife edge.. weight doesn't seem to faze it like most of the other foamies I've flown.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:35 AM
LuckyArmpit
Rehab is for quitters

I also had this plane. I had an e-flite 370 outrunner on it. It flew really nice with this setup. Alas, the fuse is way too flimsly. I picked it up once and put my finger thru the fuse. They used thicker depron for the wings and tail but neglected to use it on the fuze.

Dave...
Old 11-03-2005, 05:13 AM
TManiaci
Stupid Contributor

Default Buy This Plane!

I am on my third Yak 54. My son is on his second. This is by-far the best foamie in it's class, bar none. Flies real, feels solid, does anything you ask of it, doesn't mind a little wind . Amazing plane, without reservation, highly recommended. We have tweeked and modified it highly to manage a few weak areas.

Setup:
AXI 2212/20
Dymond HD 3S 1350 mAH 12C
Dymond HD 3S 1500 mAH 12C
Dymond HD 3S 2100 mAH 12C (for windy conditions)
Phoenix 25
JR6UL Rx
Hitec HS-55 x 3
APC 10x3.8

AUW is 15.6 ozs, pulls 22.4 amps WOT @ 240 Watts (VERY stong!) on the 1500 mAH. Using the WOT runs in short 5-8 second bursts for that WOW verticle. Use the 1350 and 1500 interchaneably for light flight, 2100 for a heavier wind-stable flying days. Verticle on the 2100 in just mind-blowing, making over 260 watts.

Mod's are extensive... 0.007 x 2" CF sheeting on all control surfaces where horns install. CF strips on fuse full length at bottom edges, around battery bay and other places. Conversion to CF pushrods (lose the pull-pull), Robart horns, pinned hinges, other significant changes for lightweight strength and durability. Extreme throws with pushrods and better horns...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3133 copy low.jpg
Views:	731
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	3410  
Old 11-03-2005, 05:52 AM
trogdor
Electriglo pilot

The only mod I did, now that you guys mention the weak fuse, is to run some clear packing tape up each side of the fuse and around the battery area. Makes it much stronger and the weight is not a problem
Old 11-03-2005, 06:07 AM
ENUT

Thumbs up

My only modifications so far is running strips of hard balsa inside fuse where the aileron servos is.I may got to dual ailerons servo's later.Right now I'm just getting my feet wet for this 3D flying stuff.ENUT
Old 11-03-2005, 02:05 PM
tashley

Originally Posted by ENUT View Post
I won this plane back in sept at a IMAA meet.Didn't think to much of it.I finally finish ASSEBLING the plane and had a friend who flies 3d do the first test flight.After the first minute he said the plane was AUSSOME! and was going to order one the next day He flew for 10min then gave me the transmitter and I flew anothe 10min I think.I can't say enough about the plane.I was using a 4channel non computer radio and you are able to do a good amount of 3d flying.But a computer radio and put in 2 wing servo's instead of 1 central servo and you can mix in flaperon's and all that fancy stuff.At first I didn't think I'd like the plane and this type of flying but I might be getting ADDICTED A few things to note,the fuse is very flimsy(it cracks easily) also directions tell you to use hot glue gun to install servos,well watch how hot the glue is.Mine almost melted the foam.I would use probond polyurethan glue next time.I used that glue to assemble all components on this plane.Anyhow enyjoy. ENUT
ENUT, hot melt is perfect for mounting servos in foamies just make sure and use low temp guns and glue sticks. You can find these at Balsa Products and they are very inexpensive. The beauty of low temp hot melt glue is that the gun nozzle never gets hot enough to melt the foam and when you want to remove the servos the glue just peels off. Something poly glues will not do.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:19 PM
TManiaci
Stupid Contributor

Originally Posted by tashley View Post
ENUT, hot melt is perfect for mounting servos in foamies just make sure and use low temp guns and glue sticks.
I like Epoxy for mounting the servos. It comes off the cases very nicely later... but the BIG issue for me is the hot-melt always comes loose and servos wiggle about. More important for hot climates (like here, summer temps well over 100º) is the the Hot Melt... melts. Leave it in the car on a sunny day, yuck. I see the hotmelt as a poor choice for building... just so messy, poor adheasion and too sensitive to temperature extremes.

I am goig to covert to dual aileron servos too. We did my son's Yak with dual HS-55's, man what a difference on control authority... REALLY significant. I am ordering two more Dymond Modelsports D47 servos... these are VERY nice quality, 1/2 the mass of the HS-55, with MORE torque ! We have these on another plane... very good quality, Made in Germany.

Last edited by TManiaci; 11-03-2005 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:08 PM
modelflying2004

my setup is

axi2208/34
CC10 ESC
kokam 910 3s 15C
3xHS55
Hitec HS-04 RX

totally sweet plane loving it
stronger and takes more beating than a shocky too !
ive had it about 2 months and still not a scratch on it.
apart from the wheel spats and pants came off.......

also i modded the elevator for carbon rod and shocky linkage
does exactly the same job

cheers
tom
Old 11-21-2005, 07:53 PM
FLYINRYAN

I am glad to hear this is a good 3D plane! I have one on order, cant wait to get it togather and up on the air!
Old 11-22-2005, 02:02 AM
ENUT

Wink

FLYINRYAN, Be very CAREFUL of the fuse It's very thin and will not take any abuse! When I handel my plane I grab it by the wing near the root(where it joins the fuse).Other than that ,read what others have posted here.Also make sure you get the 3D servo arms so you will get enough throw.Enjoy,

ENUT
Old 11-24-2005, 02:42 AM
FLYINRYAN

Cool, Can you buy just certain parts for the it, or do they just sell complete kits?

Thanks
Old 11-24-2005, 03:23 AM
TManiaci
Stupid Contributor

Thumbs up

FlyinRyan,

Yes, HH sells ALL the parts HERE.

We have been using CF flat bars along the fuse bottom to prevent breakage. This has proven to be a major improvement on the strength and preventing failure. The breaks generally propagate from the rough cut lower edges... not any more.

You can also see how we converted to pushrod tailfeather controls. Works VERY well and provides big throws with less fragile or vulnerable hardware. That pull-pull system is lame. Note the Rudder Servo is not in the bottom... it's on the other side, even with the Ele servo.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2374.JPG
Views:	597
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	4066  

Last edited by TManiaci; 11-24-2005 at 03:52 AM.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:46 PM
Splatz
Master Tapeologist

I just got one for my son w/ an E-Flite Park 450 890kv Outrunner. Any opinions on this motor? What prop should we start out with?

Thanks,
Rick O,
Old 12-23-2005, 12:43 AM
TManiaci
Stupid Contributor

Exclamation Plenty

Rick,

That Park 450 with be VERY strong. You'll need to go easy on prop selection, since the motor is BIG for this plane (not a bad thing) and the Kv (rpm/volt) rating is fairly low at 890 Kv. I would "guess" a 9x3.8 or 9x4.7 will be about right. However, you are set up for big power, and that means you'll need to have enough battery and ESC to support it. Wild guess, you'll be pulling 18-20 amps and need battery and ESC to support that. The Stock setups recommended are considerably less than this.

So, think about a 25 amp ESC, and 1500 mAH 12-15C lipo as a target for supporting that motor. Anything less, and you'll be in the "overload" zone unless you prop it way down to control load. You really need a wattmeter to be absolutely sure you're set up properly.

I am "estimating" here, so please don't shoot me if I'm wrong. Not many people are putting Park 450 motors on 15 oz planes. Those are generally going into 20-25 oz planes, with 35 amp ESC and 2100 mAH 12C lipo's, set up to pull 22-28 amps and pushing 300 watts. Way more than you nead on the Yak.

But... I am guilty too... We just upgraded our Yaks (my son and I have twins) to the AXI 2212/24. With a 10x3.8 they pull 23 amps WOT. It is way powerful like this, but really fun to watch them go vertical with such power and authority. Love it... too much power is not in my vocabulary. We even fly them with big 3S 2100 mAH lipo's to deliver the big currrent, and the added weight really helps flying in windy conditions, yet degrades stunt capability very little.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:32 PM
Splatz
Master Tapeologist

TMan,

Thanks for the info. My son and I fly BP-21 Brushless F27 Strykers and are now getting into the 3D thing. I thought this motor would be a good torqe monster. I hope it doesn't draw more than 18 amps.

Rick O,
Old 12-28-2005, 03:11 AM
AirNerd
LOOK AT ME!!!

Heylo. I want to gut my Ultimate FX and strap the stuff in this plane...Park 400 outrunner...uncased Electron six...S 75 servos Tanic packs 3 cell 830, 1180, and thunder power 1320s. I do think this would be a great setup how about you?
Old 12-28-2005, 10:48 PM
TManiaci
Stupid Contributor

Exclamation Go for it!

AirNerd,

Sounds like good gear for this bird... I question the battery cpacity for the Park 400, you should be planning on delivering at least 14 amps with that motor. Just be sure that is within the amp rating of the batteries. The 1320 will be fine, the others I don't know beause you didn't mention the C rating on them.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:07 AM
AirNerd
LOOK AT ME!!!

Yea They will fly it (already have), I just wanted to get my name on here.

I must say this is a very usefull thread tho TMan and you have some very EXELENT building advice, how many of these doo you or have you owned?
Old 12-29-2005, 01:23 AM
loker
crashmachine

Default Yak Or Monte

THE E-FLIGHT YAK 54 DEPRON THAT DOES INDEED FLY AWESOME IS ALSO VERY FRAGILE. YOU ALL SHOULD CHECK OUT THE MONTE FROM TROY BUILT MODELS, IT'S ALSO ABOUT 14 OZ AUW WITH A 1320 BATTERY, 4 SERVOS. THE ORIGINAL THAT YOU GET, JUST TRACE THE PARTS, AND KEEP THE ORIGINAL PLANS FROM THAT, AND YOU CAN REMAKE IT OVER AND OVER, IT FLIES SOOO GOOD. YOU CAN FLY STRAIGHT AS AN ARROW, FAST, OR HARRIER INCHES OVER THE GRASS SLOWER THAN WALKING, THE BEST THING IS THAT KNIFE EDGE HAS ZERO ZERO ZERO COUPLING OF PTCH OR ROLL. I BROUGHT A MONTE THAT I BUILT TO THE GYMNASIUM FOR THE WINTER FLYING, MY FIRST TIME IN A GYM, AND THEY SAID THAT THING IS TOO HEAVY, TOO FAST FOR THE SMALL SPACE IN HERE, AND THEN i DID A KNIFE EDGE FROM ONE END TO THE OTHER OF THE GYM WITHOUT TOUCHING THE ELEVATOR OR AILERONS, AT JUST SLIGHTLY FASTER THAN WALKING SPEED. JUST LIKE THE YAK 54, THIS PLANE FLIES AWESOME, HANDS DOWN, AND ALSO SEEMS NOT TO BE AFFECTED BY WEIGHT HARDLY AT ALL COMPARED TO OTHER FOAMIES. DIFFERENCE BEING THIS ONE IS CHEAPER, AND CAN ALSO BE MADE OVER AND OVER FROM FFF, DEPRON OR WHATEVER YOU USE. i HAVE TO SAY THAT THE LACK OF COUPLING WHEN USING RUDDER IS ASTOUNDING ON THIS MODEL, IT'S ONLY 38 BUCKS FROM TROY BUILT MODLELS, AND LIKE I SAID, AFTER YOUR FIRST ONE, JUST BUILD THE ONES FROM THEN ON FROM THE ORIGINAL CUT OUTS. GOOD LUCK, GOOD FLYING.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:33 AM
TManiaci
Stupid Contributor

Talking

Originally Posted by AirNerd View Post
Yea They will fly it (already have), I just wanted to get my name on here.

I must say this is a very usefull thread tho TMan and you have some very EXELENT building advice, how many of these doo you or have you owned?
I think we are on our 4th & 5th Yaks now. My son and I have twins, both with tons of mods to deal with the little things we feel need improvement. This plane flys so well, until we find something better... this is our little practice thumb-trainer for the bigger glow birds.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:07 PM
6inchesinverted
Gravity Sucks!

Love this plane. On my second yak ,tree jumped out and attacked the first one, tailfeathers and wing were fine,not even a scratch, nothing bigger than 2 inches left of the fusefrom the tail forward.
park 400 outrunner,
e-flite 20A esc,
thunderpower 1320 3s1p,
jr 610ul reciever
hs55's all surfaces,
awsome flyer, even in winds so strong i landed moving bacwards!any one have better pictures of better bracing up front?
Old 12-31-2005, 11:37 PM
tashley

Try some 1/32" plywood doublers on each side of the nose. It makes it hella strong.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:55 PM
Joe Lang

Talking Yak or Monte

Originally Posted by loker View Post
THE E-FLIGHT YAK 54 DEPRON THAT DOES INDEED FLY AWESOME IS ALSO VERY FRAGILE. YOU ALL SHOULD CHECK OUT THE MONTE FROM TROY BUILT MODELS, IT'S ALSO ABOUT 14 OZ AUW WITH A 1320 BATTERY, 4 SERVOS. THE ORIGINAL THAT YOU GET, JUST TRACE THE PARTS, AND KEEP THE ORIGINAL PLANS FROM THAT, AND YOU CAN REMAKE IT OVER AND OVER, IT FLIES SOOO GOOD. YOU CAN FLY STRAIGHT AS AN ARROW, FAST, OR HARRIER INCHES OVER THE GRASS SLOWER THAN WALKING, THE BEST THING IS THAT KNIFE EDGE HAS ZERO ZERO ZERO COUPLING OF PTCH OR ROLL. I BROUGHT A MONTE THAT I BUILT TO THE GYMNASIUM FOR THE WINTER FLYING, MY FIRST TIME IN A GYM, AND THEY SAID THAT THING IS TOO HEAVY, TOO FAST FOR THE SMALL SPACE IN HERE, AND THEN i DID A KNIFE EDGE FROM ONE END TO THE OTHER OF THE GYM WITHOUT TOUCHING THE ELEVATOR OR AILERONS, AT JUST SLIGHTLY FASTER THAN WALKING SPEED. JUST LIKE THE YAK 54, THIS PLANE FLIES AWESOME, HANDS DOWN, AND ALSO SEEMS NOT TO BE AFFECTED BY WEIGHT HARDLY AT ALL COMPARED TO OTHER FOAMIES. DIFFERENCE BEING THIS ONE IS CHEAPER, AND CAN ALSO BE MADE OVER AND OVER FROM FFF, DEPRON OR WHATEVER YOU USE. i HAVE TO SAY THAT THE LACK OF COUPLING WHEN USING RUDDER IS ASTOUNDING ON THIS MODEL, IT'S ONLY 38 BUCKS FROM TROY BUILT MODLELS, AND LIKE I SAID, AFTER YOUR FIRST ONE, JUST BUILD THE ONES FROM THEN ON FROM THE ORIGINAL CUT OUTS. GOOD LUCK, GOOD FLYING.
Loker, I totally agree about the Monte. My FFF Monte weighs in at 18 oz. with a Himax 2816-0890 outrunner, TP 2100 mAh lipo, CC 25 amp ESC, and a 11 x 4.7 slo-fly APC prop. It does terrific hovers and torquerolls, and this setup has almost unlimited verticle. This airplane is not too bad in a wind too.
Joeky
Old 06-11-2006, 12:41 AM
TexasRCFlyer

I am building my first plane, which is the Yak-54 from E-flight. My question is about the servo installation. I am using the S-75s that came with my DX-6. When putting the servo arms on the servos, the instructions say take the micro control connectors and place them on the long servo arms. My problem is the holes in the servo arms do not fit the micro connectors that came with the Yak. Do I drill these holes out?
I am not interested in severe 3D flight, more just flying around and playing with it at this point.

Quick Reply: E-flight Yak 54 !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10411 seconds with 12 queries