RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New radio wanted - Futaba or Spectrum?

Old 05-08-2017, 08:33 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

All newer Spektrum TX's default to 22ms (or at least our DX8 g2's and DX9's do), but can be set to 11ms in the event one prefers digital servos over analog. Many heli guys (even FBL) seldom have issues running either 11ms or 22ms.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:22 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

info

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
Like mentioned previously in this post subject, today there are several brands of transmitters and receivers that provide "bang for the buck" which perform flawlessly under the correct conditions and application......that said without brand "bias"......the best advise one can receive is that from educated sources who have had personal experience product ownership. It also helps to "know" the source well enough to trust their opinion.
Or knowledge via personal friendship with owners and actual hands on ... it is not actually necessary to own yourself - but observation / discussion direct with owners goes a long way.

I like many others and I include OP here as he is asking for reccomendations, consider all possibilities before deciding on a particular brand radio. Bias of course comes in when advising others, thats human nature.
Some of us have been long term users of RC gear from early days of Bang Bang through to todays sophisticated programmable. It tends to cement ones opinion / views .....

As one would expect, they're are one or two seasoned members here that will "always" chime in on Spektrum issues and make biased observations (comparisons) to their "wonderful" FrSky open source systems
Amazing statement .... I can easily deduce from such - that you have no idea of the real capability of such systems. If you are pointing a finger at me - for being a supporter of the FrSky / er9x community and its capabilities - then do so properly instead of trying to hide behind implied comments.
If you can show in reality that the open source programming is LESS capable - then please I'm very interested.

or attempt to argue that their "older JR's" are just like a Spektrum.......when in reality, those (that same) member(s) has/have not ever stated they have personally owned (for any length of time or at all) a Spektrum......which, for me, speaks volumes to their personal knowledge of such.....like so many grains of salt, added to stimulate the palate without benefit or value to the substance....!
Oh Dear ... we do have a tizzie !! Spektrum was born out of JR as the budget version ... bit like Audi and Skoda in the car world. Later it was decided that JR would no longer co-exist with Spektrum and they over time developed own coding format for their radios. Anyone claiming 'older JR' as same as Spektrum have it around wrong way ... because Spektrum came FROM JR ... but very soon had significant differences.

Surely, none of us are "authorities or master's" on everything related to RC. Therefore, our "opinions" can be assumed just that "opinions". But, at least when an "opinion" is expressed, it is most "helpful" when supported by citation, reference, manuscript or at least proven personal ownership experience.....!
The prevalence of Spektrum has been a marvelous marketing ploy by HH over significant time. Models sold as BnF ... RTF with Spektrum as the base. People joining clubs and seeing Spektrum radios in many hands.
These two factors combine to be the biggest reason people will buy Spektrum. HH must have taken a lead from Microsoft - if they set-up their model lines to use Spektrum gear ... its a done deal.
As I said earlier - this sort of thing then takes on a life of its own.

It has even produced ridiculous requirements where entry into some Competitions can only be with certain radio brands. When questioned - there is no supportable evidence for such decision.

Final word.

I reserve the right to promote FrSky gear and that of the Open Source field. It has served me well and I know many others as well. It is a much maligned item by those who have little knowledge or experience of it.
The Open Source community has caused advance and alterations in the mainstream RC world - because of the increased capability and programmability. Mainstream has had to combat the growing number of Open Source Radio users.

I also respect that others will promote the brand of radio they consider suitable. I will not knock them for that or their radio. Unlike Mr. P .....

Nigel
Old 05-08-2017, 01:12 PM
Bald Paul

All newer Spektrum TX's default to 22ms (or at least our DX8 g2's and DX9's do), but can be set to 11ms in the event one prefers digital servos over analog. Many heli guys (even FBL) seldom have issues running either 11ms or 22ms.
Attached is from the DX6 user manual I read online.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Capture.JPG (32.0 KB, 251 views)
Old 05-08-2017, 04:16 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Oh Dear ... tks BP !!

Nigel
Old 05-08-2017, 04:28 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by Bald Paul View Post
Attached is from the DX6 user manual I read online.
Thanks Paul........I was unaware that new version of the DX6 was DSMX only. The older "newer" (2014) DX6 was both DSM2/DSMX and had assignable rates of 11ms & 22ms within the heli settings...just like it's little brother the DX6i. You had to go to the frame rate screen and change prior to the RX binding.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:22 PM
AndyKunz
Spektrum Dev Team

Thanks Paul........I was unaware that new version of the DX6 was DSMX only. The older "newer" (2014) DX6 was both DSM2/DSMX and had assignable rates of 11ms & 22ms within the heli settings...just like it's little brother the DX6i. You had to go to the frame rate screen and change prior to the RX binding.
THAT IS THE EUROPEAN DISCLAIMER!

The US versions support DSM2 and DSMX.

The only non-DSM2 radio we sell (outside of Europe) is the DXe.

Andy
Old 05-08-2017, 10:21 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post

Andy

Rephrased
Old 05-09-2017, 12:07 AM
Bald Paul

Andy
Perhaps someone should update page 10 of the manual :-)

(Don't worry, Andy, I'm still getting a Spektrum. I'll have to change the Rx in my RCM Trainer - know who I am now?)
Old 05-09-2017, 12:11 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Andy
Thanks Andy........I confirmed that this morning with one of our telemetry software rep's.......also good to hear it from an official Spektrum representative and trusted WF member....!
Old 05-09-2017, 02:42 AM
AndyKunz
Spektrum Dev Team

Originally Posted by Bald Paul View Post
Perhaps someone should update page 10 of the manual :-)
Yup.

(Don't worry, Andy, I'm still getting a Spektrum. I'll have to change the Rx in my RCM Trainer - know who I am now?)
Yes, your avatar makes it pretty obvious.

Andy
Old 05-09-2017, 05:44 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

I was dubious about Spektrum for years but mainly due to heresay on forums. I decided to do my own research and found that the DX6(G3) now sported Diversity antennas which is a major step forward.
Long and short of it is I bought one and couldn't be happier with it. I also have a Taranis and a HiTec and some other cheapie things.
I prefer the feel and programming of the DX6 over the Taranis any day.
I have owned many different brands in the past but the DX6 is my favourite of all time.

The programming is amazing (Thanks Andy) and it has built in telemetry, cordless buddy system etc.
I haven't had a glitch or lost any signal at all yet and I fly sport planes and Gliders and quads.
Whilst I have some Spektrum Rxs I also use Orange and Lemon.
Any new plane is now assigned to the DX6. I haven't put any into the other one since I got the Spektrum. I love using it.
My lad loves it too and was disappointed when I put his new wing onto the Optic 6 (FrSky) He said he wanted to use the Spektrum.
If I need more than 6 Channels, which is extremely rare nowadays, I use the Taranis.

You won't be disappointed with the new DX6
Old 05-09-2017, 03:08 PM
AndyKunz
Spektrum Dev Team

You're welcome. The menu system isn't my creation, though, it's John Adams' based on years of working with a variety of radios as well as helping JR create theirs. Lots of research into what people like, how they think, and stuff.

Andy
Old 05-25-2017, 07:20 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

You are a big part of the Team Andy and credit where credit is due.

I wonder what Bald Paul decided to do?
Old 05-25-2017, 02:29 PM
Stay Quiet

Originally Posted by Panther View Post
You are a big part of the Team Andy and credit where credit is due.

I wonder what Bald Paul decided to do?
Spektrum is on order. Birthday gift from the wife!

(BP=StayQuiet)
Old 05-26-2017, 12:48 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

Ahhh you are incognito... Nice but what one did she get you?
Old 05-26-2017, 03:11 AM
Stay Quiet

Ahhh you are incognito... Nice but what one did she get you?
The DX6. :-)
Old 05-26-2017, 06:39 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

Kool. Aussie sets are DSM2 and DSMX. I have never used DSM2 myself.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:54 AM
Stay Quiet

Not real happy with Horizon Hobby right about now. I checked their website, and see that the radio my wife JUST ORDERED is now DISCONTINUED. We haven't even received it yet!

Needless to say, we will be contacting HH customer service for a RMA number (I'm not even going to bother opening the box when it arrives). I had ordered a second receiver, too. That's going back as well.

I guess I'm going to be staying with Futaba after all. Shopping their 8ch units now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Capture.JPG (57.0 KB, 236 views)
Old 06-01-2017, 05:41 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Stay Quiet View Post
Not real happy with Horizon Hobby right about now. I checked their website, and see that the radio my wife JUST ORDERED is now DISCONTINUED. We haven't even received it yet!

Needless to say, we will be contacting HH customer service for a RMA number (I'm not even going to bother opening the box when it arrives). I had ordered a second receiver, too. That's going back as well.

I guess I'm going to be staying with Futaba after all. Shopping their 8ch units now.

Seems HH went from a Dx6 Gen 2 to a DX6 Gen 3.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:12 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Seems HH went from a Dx6 Gen 2 to a DX6 Gen 3.
Yes the only way to identify them is by serial No on the back. The difference is the Gen3 has diversity antennas. (normal one (vertical) and one inside the rear carry handle running horizontally.
I would be surprised if you can still buy a Gen 2 but they are still advertised. Gen 3 is a SPM 6750
Old 06-01-2017, 03:57 PM
Stay Quiet

Yes the only way to identify them is by serial No on the back. The difference is the Gen3 has diversity antennas. (normal one (vertical) and one inside the rear carry handle running horizontally.
I would be surprised if you can still buy a Gen 2 but they are still advertised. Gen 3 is a SPM 6750
I have the feeling they were just clearing out their old stock. They had to know the Gen 2's were about to be discontinued, and should have at the very least reduced the price. The Gen 3 with the new telemetry ready Rx is being sold at the same price!

I ordered a new Futaba 6K V2 8-ch S-FHSS/T-FHSS air system radio/Rx combo from Tower Hobbies. Does everything I need, and supports the S-Bus for telemetry units. (And it costs $30 less!) Told my wife we'd be returning the Spektrum as soon as it arrives, and when she gets refunded, she can buy the power package for the plane I'm currently drawing up from Heads Up RC.

Guess I'll continue to be "that guy with the Futaba" at the flying field!
Old 06-01-2017, 04:47 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

I have the feeling they were just clearing out their old stock. They had to know the Gen 2's were about to be discontinued, and should have at the very least reduced the price. The Gen 3 with the new telemetry ready Rx is being sold at the same price!

I ordered a new Futaba 6K V2 8-ch S-FHSS/T-FHSS air system radio/Rx combo from Tower Hobbies. Does everything I need, and supports the S-Bus for telemetry units. (And it costs $30 less!) Told my wife we'd be returning the Spektrum as soon as it arrives, and when she gets refunded, she can buy the power package for the plane I'm currently drawing up from Heads Up RC.

Guess I'll continue to be "that guy with the Futaba" at the flying field!
Well, still a good choice. Noticed on-line shopping (most major outlets) had it priced at $199.99 same as the Spektrum DX6 g3.........The SD card feature on the DX6 will not be found on that Futaba, comes in handy! Also down/up loading firmware up-grades much easier with the Spekie.

But you're familiar with Futaba, so your learning curve will be much less.......glad to hear you've upgraded.....good choice !
Old 06-01-2017, 05:09 PM
Stay Quiet

Well, still a good choice. Noticed on-line shopping (most major outlets) had it priced at $199.99 same as the Spektrum DX6 g3.........
Ah, but the difference is that the DX6 for $199.99 is transmitter only. The Futaba is transmitter and receiver for the same price.

If you want a receiver with the Spectrum, it goes up to $229.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:22 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Ah, but the difference is that the DX6 for $199.99 is transmitter only. The Futaba is transmitter and receiver for the same price.

If you want a receiver with the Spectrum, it goes up to $229.
Yep.......Guess the RX that comes with the 6K v2 (RS3006SB) will be just fine for ya. I'd purchase the DX6 w/o anyway, since my needs would require a bit more than the AR610 offers.....and is $10.00 cheaper than RS3006SB when purchased separately.......
Old 06-01-2017, 05:30 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Now days, most name brand RC radios are pretty good. So, brand selection comes down to extra receiver pricing, out of warranty service and so on.For Spektrum, just about every transmitter they ever made is compatible with just about every receiver they made

That isn't true on some other brands. (The EU versions are DSMX only, due to the EU rules)

Quick Reply: New radio wanted - Futaba or Spectrum?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11957 seconds with 14 queries