Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Blind Thermal Contest Aug31 to Sept3

Old 08-08-2007, 04:14 PM
mapareed
MaPaReed

Default Blind Thermal Contest Aug31 to Sept3

Introducing the Blind Thermal Contest

The only Thermal Duration Contest that you can compete in from anywhere in the world!

What is a Blind Thermal Contest?

The contest is a RC thermal duration contest that anyone can compete in - regardless of where they live. The contest will be held between August 31st and September 3rd and scores are submitted on-line. To make it interesting, the format differs slightly from what you may be used to.

What is the format?

There are 3 classes: expert, sportsman and novice. Any class of plane may be used as long as it thermals.

Unlike traditional thermal contests, this Blind Thermal contest is done in reverse. Before you begin you will get a point total to shoot for. You will then have 5 flights and 5 landing scores that should add up to your point target. (Or as close as possible.) You then submit your 5 flight times and 5 landing scores on-line.

In order to determine a winner, your scores for each flight will be compared against a ‘blind pilot.’ The pilot whose flight times and landings are the closest to the ‘blind’ pilot will be deemed the winner. In the remote chance of a tie, a computer will randomly select the winner.

For more Information go to www.blindthermalcontest.com
If you know of any one who would like to fly in this contest please forward this
E-mail to them so it can reach world wide.

Thank you
Steven
Old 08-24-2007, 04:52 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Steven,

I read the web site, but I don't understand the task.

I fly 5 flights. Am I trying to hit a certain time? Sounds like I am trying to match an unknown target call the blind score. So a 2 hour flight is just as good as a 2 minute flight because I have no idea what the target time is, correct?

Just trying to wrap my mind around this thing.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:38 AM
mapareed
MaPaReed

Default Very easy to do the contest

You have five round and five landing.
The grand total you are trying to get is on the score sheet. If you are an Novice the total flying time you are shooting for would be 35 Min's and for the landings 205 inches total.
That's want the blind flyer got when he got done with his flights (They are scores from past contest from my club members) you can decide on any different length of time you want to fly your flights as long as you fly five flights and five landings and your score is around the total of the blind flyer.
Check the bottom of the rule sheet on the web site and it gives a example of how it will be scored.

Or hears a another way to look at it. Do a ADDem UP with five flights and five landings to match the Novice score.

Hope this Helped
Steven

What you don't want to do is fly all your time in one flight break it up into five flights and landings. then post them on the web site and I'll do all of the scoring for you.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:45 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Why would I not want to do most of my time in one flight. Say 25 minutes in one flight and the rest over the next 4. Is that OK?
Old 08-25-2007, 04:13 PM
mapareed
MaPaReed

Default Time

That would be fine if you want to do it that way. But if you look at the rule sheet on my web page you will get a Idea of how the flights are.
* Note they are not the true scores* Any five flights and landings that total close or over or even the same as the grand total of the blind flyer will get you a better chance of winning.
The scoring is done by the difference between your score and his score so one flight that is 20 Min's long compared to his 8 minute flight gives you a score of 12 for that flight. The next flight you fly is 4 minutes and his may be 17 minutes the different is 13 and so on. So in just the two flights you have a score of 25 and it will get larger as you go on. So mix it up a little bit more and have a good day of flying.

Steven
Old 08-30-2007, 10:58 PM
Lip84

it sounds to me like you are comparing each individual flight against the "blind" pilot and then getting a score associated with the differences between your flight and the blind flight. After 5 flights, you add up the scores you got for each flight and the person with the largest number wins. I am guessing that a flight that is closest in time and landing proximity to that of the blind gets the highest points. is this close?

Edit...the winner is the person with the LOWEST score as you are scored on the DIFFERENCE between you and the blind. right?
Old 08-31-2007, 01:20 AM
mapareed
MaPaReed

Default Score totals

That's close but what you want is the smallest total to the blind flyer.
If you fly a 8 minute flight and he fly a 9 minute flight you get one point. You get a 81 on the landing and he gets a 55 on the landing you get 26 points. You want to match as close as you can to the blind flyer. Smallest total over all get the trophies.That's why it's called the Blind Thermal Contest because you only get the totals of all of his flights and you have to try to guess what the flight times and landing points are.

It's the only way I no that I can hold a contest on the web and give the true flyer's a chance to win against the ones that stretch the truth a bit to get a better time.

Have a fun and save day of flying.
Steven