Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

New Rafale, Power Problem?

Old 12-08-2008, 12:44 AM
coolio

Default New Rafale, Power Problem?

Im new to electric flying and to this site. I really hope someone can help me understand whats going on with my jet. First I would like to say that the appearance of the Rafale is amazing. I put it together, charged the battery, turned on the radio and plugged it in. Every thing works great.

1st issue - I turned on the motor and let it run for about 30 seconds on full, and the plane shut down. Not only did the motor stop but I lost all control function as well. I've tried running it a few more times at a lesser speed and each time the jet shut down. If I try to fly it I can only foresee a crash since the controls shut down as well. I brought the jet to my local hobby shop and they thought it was the speed control because that also powers the receiver. I installed the new speed controll and have the same issues.

Could someone please offer some suggestions!

1 - motor shuts down
2 - lose all control funtions
3 - I re-installed the old speed control and once the jet ran untill the battery drained. After the motor turned off I still had all other controls working.

Thanks
Old 12-08-2008, 02:48 AM
cyclops2
Super Contributor

Default OH boy.

Electrics DO NOT run anthing like Nitro, gasoline or a Diesel.

You can do a LOT of permanant & temporary damage with more than a 5 second run on the bench.

NEVER run down any motor battery below where YOU KNOW it is just starting to get a little weak. WHY ? LIPOS HATE to be run down to 1/2 the speed sound left. Check the batteries. If they seem to be looking like inflated pillows. DO NOT USE THEM. They are dangerous to you.

If the are NIMH. Round cylinder types that look like normal batteries bunched together. They may be just too new to put out full power until 5 or 6 recharges.

You need to find a flying club SOMEHOW to help you. You do not have enough money or talent at the hobby shop to get you started the right way in electric.

Electrics are the most difficult planes to fly WITHOUT experienced electric flyers to start with you.

I sound harsh. It is that difficult to do it alone. Get to a club with some ELECTRIC flyers.

Rich
Old 12-08-2008, 03:48 AM
coolio

Default Realistic is not harsh!

Thanks Rich.

Straight forward and to the point is the best way, so thanks for that. I had gas powered planes years ago and just got back into flying. I bought the parkzone p-51 mustang to get back into it , then the stryker. I really like the electric jets and thought electric would be problem free. Guess I'm wrong.

I also think your bang on about finding some experienced electric flyers to help and forget about the hobby store. Good part is they said I could bring the speed control back if does the same thing. Its going back.

Thanks again

Chad