Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

Printing graphics directly on foam...

Old 02-08-2012, 06:58 PM
Turbopropdriver
TurboPropDriver

Frank,

Again, many thanks for your reply.

The Durobatics foam looks quite pricey, so I will consider it as a last resort.
In the meantime I will post a new thread to see if somewhere we might be able to locate a printer that either has a horizontal feed or if not, at least that it may swallow a 1mm to 2mm depron sheet without hesitating.
And this will be a multiforum thread so that we can widen our chances.
BTW, I received the 1/8 dia rare earth magnets!! I will let you know the outcome, Now I have a new challenge and is trying to measure the resistance of a heat-shrunk part attached to the red servo motor lead. (this servo was an Cox IconRC CS6 6gm servo that belonged to my defunct MicroWarbird series Corsair). So that I can build a coil with a lower K ohm value to avoid burning or overheating something. But it is really small!!

In the meantime, take care.

Tpd
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ServoBoardtoMotorConnex.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	157106  
Old 02-08-2012, 07:31 PM
FJS

Tpd:
I checked Walmart and they don't seem to sell the copier referred to in this thread. The do sell another Canon printer that looks similar (different model number but a straight thru printer). The price was about $30.
I also contacted Plantraco to see if they knew if their depron would go thru my HP but they didn't know. Not sure if I want to jam my HP and go thru the trouble of taking it apart.

Frank
Old 02-08-2012, 07:58 PM
Turbopropdriver
TurboPropDriver

Frank,

Definitely NO, you don't want to jam and perhaps have a very delicate AND expensive part of your printer broken/torn off because of using (untested per manufacturer) material that would even void the warranty. In my case I will keep looking for someone out there in the Cyber universe who has already tinkered with a warranty-less unit. like this link...http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=lexmark

Thanks again, BTW, how can I make a new thread? I have been looking all around, and maybe I'm blind but I can not locate the make new thread link.

Take care
Old 02-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Turbopropdriver
TurboPropDriver

Frank,

Never mind!!! Found it and the new thread will be called Help Need to find a horizontal feed printer for foam printing!

Thanks anyway.

Tpd
Old 02-12-2012, 03:26 AM
Turbopropdriver
TurboPropDriver

Hi, there again Frank,

Just finishing rebuilding the wing. This one is much lighter! I also wound up two coils (finally, after many breakups) and tomorrow I am planning on removing part of the insulation to measure the Kohms, not to be higher than 25 or so, and also try to make the servo board connections. Also the Landing gear is almost finished after trying three different materials for the base. I think I'm getting closer to the final build. I'll keep you posted. AS all ways keep it safe and Happy Landings!

Tpd
Old 02-13-2012, 02:52 AM
FJS

Tpd:
I'm not sure what type of wire you're using for the actuators, but if its around 40 gauge all you''ll need to do is tin the separate ends of the lead wires to the actuators. the heat will cause the ureathane coating to retreat back and give you a good connection. What process did you finally settle on for printing the wings?

Frank
Old 02-13-2012, 06:07 AM
Turbopropdriver
TurboPropDriver

Frank,

The wire I'm using is 46awg really fine, I'm still not sure if the resistance for this fine wire may be to high. Tomorrow I hope to tin it (just apply solder from a heated blob), Right?

Also, I found that the little black heat-shrink tubing connected to the red servo motor lead was hiding a small resistor with a black, green and tan stripes. I tried to measure it and it was about .15 F in my meter, I tried to measure the resistance in the small square besides it and it also measured about .24F(This measurement was using the kohm setting) . So I guess that if the resistance is less than .15 It should be fine, Right? As you can see I am not too savvy in how this electronics numbers end up. So any help I can get to avoid burning something (in the servo board and/or the receiver/esc) will be appreciated. I'll include a closeup shot of the board to see if you may be able to tell what it is, Ok?

BTW, did you see the new thread I posted last week.."Help!!...horiz...printer for foam printing" I received 3 replies in the rcg one, nothing in this forum and the rcuniverse one either. ?So at least we are moving a few steps forward...

Thanks again for your reply and take care

Tpd

Name:	Svobdrestr.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	157244   Click image for larger version

Name:	Svocup.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	157245  
Old 02-13-2012, 06:16 AM
Turbopropdriver
TurboPropDriver

OOOps!! Almost forgot!!!, If I am using this 6gm servo board, with a HK orange spektrum compatible receiver (5ch), and a micro bl esc, can I run it with a 1s lipo 3.7/160mah cel? Or it will be too much load for such a small battery? If not what would be the recommended/esc/lipo ?
Old 02-13-2012, 09:06 PM
FJS

Tpd:
Depending on how many turns you gave it, most coils I've seen are between 50 and 75 ohms. Tinning the ends is just a matter of running the wire through a blob of solder on the iron. A slow in and out.
Not sure what you mean by an F measurement when looking at resistance but a quick way of figuring resistance by the bandings is on this website. http://www.hobby-hour.com/electronics/resistorcalculator.php . I ran the numbers and it comes out 15 ohms. (thats Brown, Green, Black).
Sorry, can't help you with the servo board/battery selection problem, I weak on the electronics aspect also. The supplier or manufacturer might have an answer for you?

Frank
Old 02-18-2012, 02:36 AM
Turbopropdriver
TurboPropDriver

Frank,
Thanks again, I went to the site and I realized I was reading the bands in the wrong direction...IN fact the only valid value is 15ohms. I have been quite busy doing some home/work tasks, and I have not started tinning the coil wires. But in the next few days I will try...so let me give you a heads up of the model...(Please bear with me, since it is my first attempt on gluing paper to foam it is not too pretty) First you will see the parts then the AP05 motor and then the complete model w/o radio gear though in different angles some with my crappy cel camera and the Funky...photos by my daughter who really knows her stuff in the photo arena.

Until next time,

Take care.

Name:	BvrParts.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	157394   Click image for larger version

Name:	HK AP05 MOTOR.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	157395   Click image for larger version

Name:	BVRFRSIDE.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	157396   Click image for larger version

Name:	BeFunky_CrossProcess_1.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	157397   Click image for larger version

Name:	BeFunky_CrossProcess_3.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	157398  

Click image for larger version

Name:	BeFunky_CrossProcess_4.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	157399   Click image for larger version

Name:	BeFunky_CrossProcess_6.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	157400  
Old 02-18-2012, 03:00 AM
FJS

Tpd:
It looks pretty good. Just picked up a Canon MP280 printer, but now I'm having problems finding 1mm depron foam. I think printing directly to the foam is where I want to go with this.
Have you tried attaching the foam to the paper? I have a 1912 Blackburn project which is stick built. Getting coverlite on the framework was hard until I taped the fabric to a flat board (stretched it tight enough to remove the wrinkles and fold marks). Then I sprayed the framework with spray adhesive and layed the framework on top of the sprayed down fabric. Same might work for foam. Tissue paper might be better for printing to also (a little more flexible for those curves). Some other ideas are at this website (these deal with working with OS film) http://www.freeflightsupplies.co.uk/...WITHOSFILM.pdf
Did you figure out the problems with the electronics?

Frank
Old 02-18-2012, 03:26 AM
Turbopropdriver
TurboPropDriver

Frank,

Just check with ebay and type "Great Planes Pro-Formance Foam 11.5x47"x1mm" at philshobbyshop he has them available. Also through ebay although still expensive you can also get from rcfoam, but much cheaper than direct from rcfoam.com. I got mine from phils hobby shop. which is the one I used after various frustrations with this model. I will order 2mm foam next time and some 1mm too. About the electronics, I will look into it the next few days. I have been on reserve and it is like the doctors who are on-call, so I need to be totally relaxed to sit down and fiddle with the soldering jobs. By the way I saw a sidebar in ModelAviation that talked about a safety arming plug...I will be making micro ones with 2.5mm pin headers and pc motherboard jumpers very soon, when I sit down and solder alldaylong! Please let me know how it goes with your printer.

Here are the links:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220936290948

Till next time

Rafael
Old 02-19-2012, 05:37 AM
Turbopropdriver
TurboPropDriver

Sorry Frank,
I think I overflew over your last question about the printing on foam. Unfortunately I'm reaching the conclusion that my printer does not accept anything else thicker than a photo quality paper. I will try and experiment sanding the foam and perhaps attaching a base sheet of paper to see how it goes. I also purchased from ebay a .5mm thick adhesive backed foam, but this one is using a slippery non stick paper base to protect the adhesive backing of the foam. This one definitely will not go through, the rollers simply slip on the paper and the printer shows a paper jam message all the time. I will try instead and use it as a covering for stick and rib peanut scale projects I have awaiting their build. And returning to the printer.... Oh, how I wish I could find out how to make that simple slot... but simply I am too afraid to break something else in it. Some day I will.... In the meantime just let me know about your new acquisition...

Take care
Rafael
Old 02-28-2012, 08:53 PM
Turbopropdriver
TurboPropDriver

Hey, Frank,

How's it going with the Pixma? I just finished trying to open my Lex, but these engineers bolt everything to the rear panel so if I do a cut, I might break some electronic connection or something. So I will have to save some money (it will take some time), and get a Pixma just for foam printing.

Take care.

Tpd
Old 02-29-2012, 02:07 AM
FJS

Tpd:

I set up the printer but can't find the depron locally. I will have to order that and the InkAid online. Work is getting in the way. That and I am working on a scratch built 1912 Blackburn (turned out to be a much larger project than I suspected).

Frank
Old 02-29-2012, 03:17 AM
Turbopropdriver
TurboPropDriver

Frank, sorry but I just realized RCfoam removed their offer from ebay... however check this link:

:http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories

There are a number of retailers, but my best experience is with phil's Hobby Shop through ebay also.

I saw another link where I can scale up or down the models check this link (this is the last page of it but it is a really interesting thread that will help in scaling any model:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=726084&page=3

Take care and Can't wait to see your print/build.

Tpd
Old 06-17-2013, 05:39 PM
wayne98

Thanks for all the nice and useful information. You have shared just an interesting knowledge on the given topic like Printing Graphics. I really appreciate your efforts you really work hard.