Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

PZ Polecat

Old 08-13-2011, 04:23 AM
wolfewinde

Default PZ Polecat

Anyone else flying one of these?

Just maidened mine tonight in too much wind - she was a handful

Wolfe
Old 08-13-2011, 08:58 PM
wolfewinde

Well I have a grand total of 2 flights on this one so far - both in about 10 mph winds. This plane is quick and agile even on reduced rates. She does track pretty true even in the wind, though, and has plenty of power.

Reasonably durable too - since i bounced her off 2 palm trees and a light pole in last nights maiden with no damage LOL.

I got this one to be front yard flyer in a fairly confined space - unless I go up over the trees and fly over the neighborhood. She may be a bit quick for that, but he does fly in what I would call slightly extended Champ space. Haven't been really able to see how much she will slow down in calm winds yet, but she handles a decent wind at 1/2 throttle pretty well.

Wolfe
Old 08-13-2011, 09:12 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

If it's anything like the PZ UM Sukhoi then considerable exponential is almost indispensable to prevent the controls being ridiculously twitchy.. The control surfaces look a bit smaller on the Polecat so perhaps it wont be quite as twitchy but I'd still be using lots of expo if it were my model...
Old 08-14-2011, 01:54 AM
wolfewinde

I am running 35% expo and 65% low rates. It is twitchty, but managable. Takes a very soft stick to be smooth. Got in a couple more flights tonight and starting to get more used to this one.

She actually will fly in "Champ Space" pretty well, but she is definitely faster and much harder to land. Was flying figure eights tonight - one circle in my double driveway, then across the street, and the other circle in my neighbors double drive way - so not using a lot of space.

This one does not glide well, so she comes in fairly hot compared to the Champ. She does pretty well at half throttle, but seems to lose altitude below that. She climbs at a pretty steep angle with a wide open throttle.

I kicked the rates up to 85% and did some loops, rolls and a little inverted. Taking that fairly easy for now since there isn't much room for error out in front of the house.

I have to drop down below the tree line to line up to land on the road, but I got a landing approach worked out tonight that seems to work - even greased my last landing.

I think this plane is going to do what I wanted. Was looking for something aerobatic that I could fly out of the yard in a limited space. She is fun to fly, but you have to fly her all the time - at least I do. Easy to lose orientation she is so small, so I never let her get more than about 100 feet away.

Wolfe

Last edited by wolfewinde; 08-14-2011 at 02:39 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:24 PM
wolfewinde

Took the Polecat out to the city field this morning and played around with WOT and inverted flights - this plane flies very well.

Wolfe
Old 08-15-2011, 05:17 PM
reef_rc

hey wolfewinde,

sounds like a nice bird. Wonder if you've tried UMX Sbach 342 to see how the two compare since they're almost like cousin. I am leaning toward UMX Sbach just b/c of motor and servos. But the high/premium price is a show stopper for me. Wished the price was like UMX Beast which is a blast to fly.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:55 PM
wolfewinde

Heya Reef,

I refuse to pay more than 99 for a micro - they all fly about the same I think if the designs are similar. i really debated between the Beast and the Polecat - but went with the PC since it shares batteries with the Champ.

The PC is a pretty tough little thing - have bounced it off the Palm Trees and Light Poles a few times at a pretty good clip, and crashed on the road once, and nothing critical has been broken yet. It does have a few dings in it, though, but still flys just fine. It's a little fast for in front of the house so no room for error, but I am being stubborn about flying it there - that is why I got it.

Did take it to the city field once to run some inverted eights. It did those quite well and rolls pretty quickly - plenty of power. Am running 35% expo and 85% rates now. These little planes seem a lot touchier than the bigger ones. How does the Beast handle?

Wolfe
Old 08-15-2011, 08:42 PM
reef_rc

I agree. Any micro price above $100 will have a tough sale. Why buy a micro when you can buy a nice full size parkflyer for the price of a Sbach (i.e.my e-flite Mini Pulse XT PNP cost just $30 more than Sbach).

UMX Beast is a monster compare to my UM T-28 or Champ. It's rather insane the power and speed of this thing (loving it). I have yet to be able land her with any finness. My landings have been rather hot. She's reasonably durable if I were to compare it to my experiences with UM T-28 and Champ. I did replace the original propeller that came with the plane due to a small chip on my 2nd landing. Good thing E-Flite provided a spare. I've been limited to the 1 battery that came with the plane. Additional batteries are scheduled to arrive today. Hopefully I'll get more stick time than the 5 or so I had over this past weekend. Very nice overall and goes well with my new PZ SE5a but is in a totally different category.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:09 PM
wolfewinde

How fast is the UM T-28 compared to the Champ? That is the one other micro that I have some interest in.

Wolfe
Old 08-16-2011, 02:20 AM
reef_rc

I don't honestly know. It would seems both have identical motor and other parts (i.e. propeller, gear box). Based on this I would assumed max speed are similar if not identical. I would also conclude the same goes for Pole Cat. The big difference in speed and handling would probably be the plane design.

If you decide to go with UM T-28, you can at least reuse the batteries and other parts across Vapor, Ember, Champ, Pole Cat, and T-28 you already owned. With other UM planes, you may have to purchase new batteries.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:29 PM
wolfewinde

I think you are right about that - pretty much the same components - the design makes the difference in speed. Polecat is still flying fine after yesterdays light post collision - wasn't sure it would - I crunched the nose a little - hit the pole pretty hard dead center on the spinner - spinner is toast. Thought I might have bent the prop shaft, but i guess not.

Tough little plane

Wolfe
Old 08-16-2011, 05:56 PM
dumo01
dumo01

Wolfe

Have you flown the umx Sukoi? I have both versions of the Sukoi, they fly different from each other, the XP being a lot easier to fly but the original does pretty good once you get the right prop on it and add some weight to the tail. I looked at the PC, but it looked like it would be very simialr to how the Sukoi XP flies. With the price on the mini beast down to $99, I think that may be the next to show up at my house. I really like the look of the SBach, but think I will wait for a price drop on that.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:39 PM
wolfewinde

I haven't flown the Sukoi, but one of the guys at the city field has one. Looks very similar to the Polecat but more aileron. Sounds like it is a bit more sensitive to contols than the Cat.

Wolfe
Old 08-19-2011, 08:11 PM
MaddSkillz

I'm getting back in the hobby after a few years out of it. Getting this plane tomorrow! Don't worry, I'm a proficient pilot. I've been flying for a long time which includes RealFlight 3.5 sim time. I was a decent local heli pilot there for a while...

Anyway, I can't wait to pick this little bird up. Looks like a lot of fun. I'm curious though, should I give it closer to around 45% expo?

EDIT: It looks like I should just start with limiting the dual rates and keep expo at around 40% for starters. At least that's what I'm thinking.

Thanks!
Old 08-19-2011, 09:33 PM
wolfewinde

I flew it at 65% rates and 35% expo the first time - it was manageble. Good luck on the maiden

Wolfe
Old 08-19-2011, 09:45 PM
MaddSkillz

Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
I flew it at 65% rates and 35% expo the first time - it was manageble. Good luck on the maiden

Wolfe
Excellent! Thanks!!!

Also, how does one measure the throw on these things when setting up? I notice the manual says 6mm for high rates and 4 mm for low rates. Where is that measured and how? At the base of the control surface? Any special tool I can pick up for this as well?
Old 08-21-2011, 04:21 AM
MaddSkillz

Hey Wolfe! Thanks for the setup details! The maiden went perfect! I flew her twice and landed her without incident both times. I upped the dual rates to 75% the second time but will probably even do more the next time around. Fun little plane!

Oh, I did notice I needed to give it a little down elevator as it seemed like it wanted to climb on its own. Maybe a CG thing? It would seem these smaller planes may be more sensitive to CG and all that. I dunno. I'll look into it.

Thanks again!
Old 08-21-2011, 10:11 PM
wolfewinde

Grats on the maiden - yeah you need to play with the battery placement some on these little guys. I never worry about deflection on a Micro - just start out with rates low and gradually work them up. Rolls on mine improved noticably at 85%

Wolfe
Old 08-21-2011, 11:54 PM
MaddSkillz

Ahh, very nice! I will do that! Just put two more flights on her and am charging the batteries now. I forgot to up the dual rates! I'll do that for my next few flights here in an hour or so. This is fun!!!!!

Oh yeah! What kind of flight times should I expect outta these little batteries and this plane? I set my timer to 4.5 minutes but it still seems to have some left over so I flew it around a little more. hehe What kind of flight times are you getting Wolfe?
Old 08-22-2011, 12:06 AM
wolfewinde

I use 160 mah - getting about 10 min if I am not pushing too hard

Wolfe
Old 08-22-2011, 02:56 AM
MaddSkillz

Oh wow, cool! Thanks! I upped the rates to 85% and it was great! Lots faster on the rolls. I even attempted some hammer heads! They weren't that good, but I'll figure it out!
Old 08-22-2011, 11:43 PM
wolfewinde

Sounds like you are dong pretty well - grats

Wolfe
Old 10-02-2011, 09:04 PM
wolfewinde

Finally got around to repairing mine and put 3 more flights on her this morning - in some decent wind - she flew well.

Wolfe